Rooting the A500

ithink2020

Apr 18, 2011
I saw the post on xda and when I tried to download the apk it said I had to register. I registered and now it says that since I am a noobie I can't access those forums. I found the apk elsewhere on the Net but the post said it was a modded apk so I don't want to use the wrong one. Anyone know another location for that file? All these extensions are driving me crazy. FYI, if I don't get that apk asap I'll be a PITA...lol. Thanks

BTW, someone asked why root. In my instance, I need to connect to a Cisco VPN and the only way to do that is to root my A500 and apply a mod to allow me to do this. I also heard that I could install a mod to allow me to tether my A500 to my iPhone 4 via ad hoc...I would love to be able to take some money away from AT&T (so to speak). I know there are tons more reasons to root, but those are a couple of my primaries (I feel a good thread coming on here).

http://forum.sdx-developers.com/acer-a500-guides-and-tips/(how-to)-root-acer-a500/

Do you have or a link to the instructions for the mod, so you can connect to a Cisco Router!?!?!? Please share!

I installed Titanium Backup. Did a full backup and removed some bloatware. If I can connect to a Cisco router, that would ROCK!!!

ChiTriGuy

Apr 27, 2011
Supposedly the Market has this one that will do it:

Android Market

I also found this link and boy is it ubergeeky:

Ubergeeky.com

I'll probably try the Market version because the second has you doing back flips and I'm not that flexible. If anyone has a more tried and true/easy solution, please share!

ithink2020

Apr 18, 2011
The one from the Market did not work, says it will not work...checking out the other one.

UPDATE, yeah #2 Ubergeeky...

Last edited:

ChiTriGuy

Apr 27, 2011
OK, I admit itm I'm an idiot. I downloaded the file and used efile to move it to //mnt/external_SD. I turned on the "anti rotate lock". I installed the file told it I wanted to root the device. It did its thing and rebooted and I'm still not rooted. What did I do wrong?

Thanks

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
You're not an idiot. How are you sure you're not rooted, if it went through the process? Download Root Checker from the market and make sure, if you haven't. Go to Settings>Apps>Gingerbreak and clear the cache. Try again. Make sure you're in "debug" (I had my tablet plugged into my computer, as it didn't work the first time when it wasn't)

ChiTriGuy

Apr 27, 2011
I downloaded Titanium Backup and it ROM Downloader and both of them told me so.

Update: Ok, I was missing BusyBox. I though, because of a previous post, that I didn't need it so I just downloaded the apk and installed it and nothing. I installed BusyBox and then ran GingerBreak and viola! Now it's time to kick this pig and see what it can do!

pdog1978

May 1, 2011
Are there any advantages to rooting this early in the game? one other ? what is debugging and how to.. newbie, sorry

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

rkka93

May 5, 2011
Just rooted. It was pretty simple if you follow the instructions. A friend sent me this video on YouTube that shows the steps.

Last edited by a moderator:

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Is it safe to assume that rooting means no OTA updates? Lots of stuff to fix via update it seems.

obtampa1

May 22, 2011
One easy way of doing this is, follow the link and download the Apk file from the bottom of the post using your A500. Go to a file manager, I use Astro. Go to sdcard then to download and install the apk. Make sure you are in portrait mode and run it. It is just that easy. You do have to enable debugging. And you need a sd card installed.

follow what link???

tesab613

Jul 21, 2011
i updated my a500 this morning to the 4.010.11_com_gen2 build. lost my root and my ability to tether the a500 to my iphone 3gs. i was an unhappy camper until i found this link... thank you!

jojo23

Jul 20, 2011
i have a HTC incredible 2 so rooting is the only way to get tether to work on my phone and my tab?

Sunnydude

Jul 22, 2011
i have a HTC incredible 2 so rooting is the only way to get tether to work on my phone and my tab?

I have an Incredible and am using PDAnet Tablet to tether my phone to my tablet. Only works for the internet but didn't have to root.

CanuckinPA

Mar 31, 2012
Just rooted. It was pretty simple if you follow the instructions. A friend sent me this video on YouTube that shows the steps.

I followed the instructions, but it doesn't reboot out of the rooting stage - it just continues to run through the rooting - running exploit screen. :confused: