[Rumor] Samsung Working on Entry Level $129 Tablet to Undercut Nexus 7

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
samsung_galaxy_tab3_lite.jpg

It's ironic that the Google Nexus 7 tablet which ushered in the era of inexpensive/affordable Android tablets might actually end up as the king of the mid-range category instead. According to the latest "rumint" Samsung is looking to jump into the low-end Android tablet realm by undercutting the Nexus 7 in a big way. Supposedly, Sammy will release a very inexpensive tablet sometime early in 2014. It's called the Galaxy Tab 3 Lite, and although its specs definitely place it squarely in the budget-friendly crowd, its price is equally matched to provide extra value at only $129. That'a a full $100 cheaper than the Nexus 7 and $170 cheaper than the iPad Mini. Here's a spec breakdown:
  • 7-inch 1024 x 600-pixel display
  • 1.2GHz Cortex A9 processor
  • 1GB of storage
  • 3-megapixel camera
  • Android 4.2
As you can see, its specs match up more closely with the OG Nexus 7, rather than the 2013 Edition Nexus 7. Regardless, Samsung's name on a very affordable tablet could put additional downward pressure on the entire Android tablet market. We will keep an eye out for any signs that might prove this rumor true.

Source: BGR

peterson

Jan 7, 2014
My guess is at $129 this tab will kill anything else in it's price range. I recently used some $120 budget tablet and man, what a crappy experience that was!

edap

Dec 12, 2012
According to recent reports that I've read, Samsung's growth stalled in the last quarter of 2013. Saturation in the high-end market and better options in the low-end market could contribute to a drop in sales. It could also be stale hardware and software design. Fortunately, Samsung is still making a lot of money, so it isn’t all doom and gloom. But, a cheap $129 tablet could be too little, too late.