Samsung Tablet Updates

S

Socal Droid

I have a pretty old (in tech years) Samsung Tab 4 tablet which has not been supported with updates in quite some time.

1. Can I somehow manually update it with security patches?

2. I assume Samsung provides updates to their tablets similar to their phones. Therefore, I believe it may be time for me to replace this device.

3. Does anyone know how other tablet manufacturers support their devices?

4. Anyone have a recommendation for my replacement ... please.

Sent from my Note 10 using Tapatalk

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
1. You'd have to look into a custom ROM for security patches as Samsung isn't supplying updates.

2. Lack of updates isn't as big an issue on a tablet as it is on a smartphone. But in essence what you wrote is correct.

3. It varies. Lenovo only provides one major update, i.e. to a new version of Android, and about a year's worth of patches before moving on. Most tablet manufacturers provide no updates at all. Samsung is arguably the best at keeping their tablets updated.

4. Get another Samsung. They are pretty much the only ones that really care about their tablets.

Socal2

Sep 4, 2013
This is not going to be an easy decision ... I can see that now. I have even begun to look at an iPad because they will receive updates, which is very important to me. I have always been 100 percent Android .. from day 1 ... so I can't believe that I am actually considering an Apple product.

I also have a Microsoft Surface Book that detaches the tablet portion. It is a bit too large to adequately serve as a tablet .. at least not for me.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk