ScummVm

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
This may have been addressed before but I just discovered it and thought it was pretty cool.
ScummVM has an Android version which works on the Coby. I gave it a try and installed The Dig, an old Lucas Arts game. It worked! Had to put the files in the nand root directory for ScummVm to see the files but it works and actually looks and plays pretty darn good.
Thought some folks may be interested. Lots of old Scumm based games out there that are freeware now.

Begotten

Mar 16, 2011
Did you managed to get a game to work?
I tried "Beneath a steel sky" and i always get a FC when the intro is playing.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Like I said, The Dig seems to be running fine although I haven't played it but about 10 minutes in so far. Sound and graphics all fine. I'm running Tipstirs B16MP ROM, don't know if that is helping avoid the FC issue.

UPDATE: I tried Beneath a Steel Sky and had the crash to home on the intro. Got it to run by hitting the silver back button at the intro start. Problem was I couldn't get the cursor interface to work right with either the touch screen or a mouse. The Dig works well with the touch screen, haven't tried a mouse. So some games will work well, some won't. I have Teen Agent buried somewhere, will give it a try later.

Last edited:

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
OK, the reason The Dig works so well is the interface only needs the use of the left mouse button to play. The item inventory van be opened by the small icon in the lower left portion of the screen. So all this means is it translates well to a touchscreen where you basically only have left click capability, no right click.
The other games I tried, Beneath a Steel Sky and TeenAgent require right click capability to play so they were a no go even though the sound and graphics worked fine.
Maybe there is a mouse out there that works well with the Coby but that kind of defeats the portable aspect anyway.
Don't know how many ScummVm supported games are out there that only need left click capability. Still pretty cool to be able to play The Dig at least.

Begotten

Mar 16, 2011
Hi popeye1128,
here is something better, ScummVM 1.3.0git4117

It's working great (there is a zoom function too!)
But right now, i didnt found how to "emulate" the right click.

I can start Beneath a steel sky without any problem.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Ok, I lied, will never say I will never post again in a thread. Another game that works well on the Coby is Flight of the Amazon Queen, a freebie. The only thing a bit different is you use the journal icon to save games. If you hold the Coby menu button while in the journal the soft keyboard will appear and you can type in the name of the save game. The 'look at' bottom icon works like a right mouse click.