SD Card Usage

smalcom

Oct 15, 2011
Just checked the Coby site, and looked at all of the tablets that had a fully fleshed out Overview. Here is what each one said:

Need more room for music, movies, or pictures? Just insert a memory card and increase your memory up to 32GB. The right size is up to you.

If we had read it, we would have known that the SD card is only for those three items, and not wondered why we couldn't move apps, etc. to the external card.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
+1 for Coby, most other manufacturers lead you to believe you can use the SD card as an extension of system memory. Also, on my Nook SD card, I have books, documents, backups of my nand and backups of my apps that my Nook can access just fine. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't also do that on a Coby SD card.

smalcom

Oct 15, 2011
As a matter of fact, I use Safe Backup, and backup my data to the SD card also (noted that in another thread). The main thrust, of course, is that the SD card is not able to expand upon the internal 4GB of storage for system usage. It is strictly for our data. Still happy with my Coby tablet. Price/performance it is unbeatable. Only thing, I would like a little bit longer battery life.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Be aware that most apps use the "internal" SD card when doing this. If you do a factory reset it will be erased, so either copy its contents to a computer or another card before you do so or change the app settings in order to use the actual external card instead.

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Just checked the Coby site, and looked at all of the tablets that had a fully fleshed out Overview. Here is what each one said:

Need more room for music, movies, or pictures? Just insert a memory card and increase your memory up to 32GB. The right size is up to you.

If we had read it, we would have known that the SD card is only for those three items, and not wondered why we couldn't move apps, etc. to the external card.

It was pretty evident even on my box from July that the sd card is for music movies photos etc. Actually its been pretty evident if you have been around on android since cupcake when the sd card was only to hd your cameras pics and all the same.

If you want to complain about something then spam coby and tell them to release the firmware for the coby 7022 already so we can do something about it ourselves

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

smalcom

Oct 15, 2011
Be aware that most apps use the "internal" SD card when doing this. If you do a factory reset it will be erased, so either copy its contents to a computer or another card before you do so or change the app settings in order to use the actual external card instead.

I can see the backup directory and files on the physical 32GB card, so i am fairly confident that it is safe.

Sent from my MID7127 using Android Tablet Forum

smalcom

Oct 15, 2011
It was pretty evident even on my box from July that the sd card is for music movies photos etc. Actually its been pretty evident if you have been around on android since cupcake when the sd card was only to hd your cameras pics and all the same.

If you want to complain about something then spam coby and tell them to release the firmware for the coby 7022 already so we can do something about it ourselves

Not complaining. Just commenting. As I said, price/performance/quality, I don't think you can beat Coby.

Sent from my MID7127 using Android Tablet Forum

Stevo

Jun 21, 2011

I don't know why I feel like I'm being personally assaulted, but as the guy who was *****ing about storage, I do. I just read my entire box - here's what it says about apps - "Discover thousands of apps for Android. Download apps from Appslib - the markeplace designed for tablets".

Here's what it says about SD storage - "microSD memory card reader. Increase the storage capacity (up to 32GB supported)".

Doesn't say a damn thing about being limited. Yes, I didn't know tablets "did that". But some are available with more memory for apps. I would have purchased one of them. Stop acting like I'm stupid... seriously, what does your box say that makes it "pretty evident" because I'm quoting right from my 7022 box.

photoweborama

Nov 7, 2011
I decided to check this out. I still have my 7012. All the box says is that it increases your storage capacity up to 32gigs.

I even looked at the manual (heaven forbid!) And it said the same thing.

There is no mention what you can or can't do with the external SD card.

Working with this for three weeks now, I've learned pretty much what you can and can't do.

Coming from a DOS, Novell, Sun Solaris (UNIX), Linux background, I'm kind of used to this kind of stuff. I can only imagine how it must feel to the novice user. Total frustration.

bjy20716

Nov 7, 2011
I copied mp3s and videos to my SD card in the 7012. It looks like when it does the media scanning it found the videos. MX Video Player was able to see the videos and play them. However the built in music app and winamp could not see the MP3s. How can I browse to the sd card? How can I pick a video or mp3 to play? Or how do I get it to scan the mp3s?

Thanks

subtotal

Sep 29, 2011
I don't know why I feel like I'm being personally assaulted, but as the guy who was *****ing about storage, I do. I just read my entire box - here's what it says about apps - "Discover thousands of apps for Android. Download apps from Appslib - the markeplace designed for tablets".

Here's what it says about SD storage - "microSD memory card reader. Increase the storage capacity (up to 32GB supported)".

Doesn't say a damn thing about being limited. Yes, I didn't know tablets "did that". But some are available with more memory for apps. I would have purchased one of them. Stop acting like I'm stupid... seriously, what does your box say that makes it "pretty evident" because I'm quoting right from my 7022 box.

Looks like assumptions from both sides IMO, you assumed that the MicroSD could be used for apps and they assumed that you knew that it couldn't.

You're best bet is to do what the rest of us do and use a program like Apps2SD to move any apps you can to the internal 'SD card', in this regard I can't imagine you're going to fill 4GB with just apps.