Security News - Holes in Android Pre 3.x or 2.3.4

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
LINK #1
LINK #2

OK, with the news in the above linked article, does anyone think Coby will release an upgrade to 2.3 for the 7015? If they do not, does anyone think if enough owners pester them with the above info that they might give in? Just a thought....

Apr 28, 2011
It would be really cool if they do release android 2.3. Since this is a lower end tablet, and it is not fresh off the market, there may not be a update for it. But also since COBY is making newer tablets that just came out, they could release the upgrade for this tablet, since it may be simple to change from the 7024's update. I am not sure if this will happen or not, but it would be awesome if it did!

Sent from my MID7015A using Android Tablet Forum App

Sketch_Says

Feb 6, 2011
I have to agree with XChocolate here. With Coby's ongoing development of the 5 next generation tablets they have out, I would be very surprised to see them put any additional effort into their gen 1 tablets. It would be great if, as a gesture to those of us who have put so much time into THIS tablet, they put forth the investment to do such an update however; in that same breath, those of us users who have enjoyed all of the progress made by our friendly neighborhood Dev's would likely lose a great deal in custom features and ROMs as these updates are often non-root friendly.

I think that the key lesson in the announcement today is to be careful with your information, your settings, and what information you store. I will always be an Android fan as I believe that their open source platform encourages the community to make their own contribution but the downside of "the times" is that open source will always come with a calculated amount of risk. To be honest, we can't enjoy the benefits of rooting without acknowledging that this same open source platform has been compromised and exploited to our benefit but the process of doing so leaves the door open for equally risky exploitations of the OS. All I can suggest in the meantime is to be careful with your information and read those two and other similar articles on how to keep that information safe.

Hopefully, Coby considers it's customers and has a change of heart but I do not foresee it based on the experiences of some who have posted on this forum.

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
Sketch,

Yea, it was probably too optimistic of me to think that they might develop more for this tablet, but maybe if enough people ask about this (remember these are still for sale), they might release the source code (which should have been done already under the GPL), and we could get someone with the knowledge to create a new ROM with 2.3. Actually, the security hole would not be a difficult fix to make, even in 2.1, but Google is not updating the older versions - which boggles my mind!

As to your comment about rooting, I think terms like 'rooting' and 'hacking' are used today in a negative context, but originally both just meant that you liked to "play" with your hardware/software. The way I see it, I should be able to do with my property what I want as long as it does not effect anyone else. By rooting my tablet, all I did was change my property and the fact that this can be done, does not make it any more susceptible to attack than it was before and might make it less so.

As to Open Source vs. Closed Source, in my opinion, open source is less likely to have security flaws than closed source. I feel this way because of the number of developers who actually are reviewing the code. Yes, a group of nefarious individuals can put bad code in place, but it is usually caught and fixed much faster than a similar exploit would be in closed source. This security hole in Android actually could be in many programs available for the iOS or Windows, but we just don't know about them yet. I think whenever we are on a public WiFi network, we should all be careful about the information that we are passing over the air - if we are using Windows, iOS, or Android. It just makes good security sense.

Anyway, I will let you know what Coby's response is (if I ever get one). ;-)

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
They don't need to know my location for pin point targeting of adverts.

Apr 28, 2011
I agree with driggs here, if they do release 2.3 for this tablet, yes we will lose everything that has been accomplished so far, but we will be able to accomplish more because we will have the ability to re-customize 2.3 and have all the fun we had with 2.1.
It is dumb that Google is not updating their old devices, but I guess it is just to get people to buy their new devices to feel safe. Thats just their way of stealing our $$.