Stock Nook Color stuck in boot mode

emmon

Aug 27, 2011
Apparently my Nook Color tried to update the software when the battery was too low and failed. I found it off and a message would come up that the battery was too low to turn on. I plugged it in and it will not go past the screen with the lower case "n" and the "contains Reader Movile technology by Adobe Systems incorporated". I did the 8 boot interrupts and restarted with the n and power at the same time. It gives me the message that installation failed and to power off and try again. I power off and try again and it gets stuck at the same point. My computer will recognize the nook is plugged in, but cannot read any files.Please help.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Was your Nook stock before the issue or rooted? If rooted what were you running and did you have CWR installed internally? Also make sure you really charge the Nook for a long time. After a low power situation like that it can sometimes take a full day of charging to get back to full.

One other thing to try (once fully charged) is power down the Nook and then plug it into the PC. If it doesn't automatically start up then power on. Sometimes booting while plugged into the PC can help it get past the stuck part of the boot.

JP

D

dvdcatalyst

Apparently my Nook Color tried to update the software when the battery was too low and failed. I found it off and a message would come up that the battery was too low to turn on. I plugged it in and it will not go past the screen with the lower case "n" and the "contains Reader Movile technology by Adobe Systems incorporated". I did the 8 boot interrupts and restarted with the n and power at the same time. It gives me the message that installation failed and to power off and try again. I power off and try again and it gets stuck at the same point. My computer will recognize the nook is plugged in, but cannot read any files.Please help.

From what it sounds like, the recovery portion on the NOOK didn't complete, so I doubt you would be able to fix it the easy way.
Thankfully, its almost impossible to brick an NC, because it is set to boot from the SD card first, so its possible to get it back up and running, but things can get a bit complicated.

This should help:

xda-developers - View Single Post - Dummies Guide to Fixing 'My Nook Won't Boot'

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
From what it sounds like, the recovery portion on the NOOK didn't complete, so I doubt you would be able to fix it the easy way.
Thankfully, its almost impossible to brick an NC, because it is set to boot from the SD card first, so its possible to get it back up and running, but things can get a bit complicated.

This should help:

xda-developers - View Single Post - Dummies Guide to Fixing 'My Nook Won't Boot'

Yes, that is most likely the case but start with the little things first. If they don't work and then move on. The easiest way to fix your Nook if you can't get it to boot through is going to be to create a bootable CWR SD card and save the B&N 1.2 zip on it. Then insert the card, clear the caches/partitions, flash the 1.2, revome the SD card and reboot. This will bring you a little more up to date than the previous methods.

We can address that process as necessary though.