Tablet worth it if I have a MacBook air

Dec 11, 2011
Would a tablet be worth it if I already have a mac book air. I do not want an iPad. I want a asus transformer pirn. My mom won't let me get it unless she is convinced that it is worth the money. Is it if I already have a MacBook air.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Hi Bballerbrad023,

Welcome to the board, glad you could join us. A tablet isn't a laptop, it's much more portable and people use them for a lot of the same things they use laptops for, but it's a different kind of device. I hope that you're able to get one, but if not at least you have your laptop. :) You should sit and write down the things you want to do with it and see if you really can find a way to justify the purchase of the Transformer Prime to your mother. It's going to fall on your shoulders to do that I'm afraid, but if you did it I am sure your mother would be impressed. What kinds of things do you want to use the tablet for? The biggest benefit I see to having a tablet is the fact you don't have to lug around a heavy laptop to surf the net or listen/watch movies if you want to. :)

wotii

Dec 12, 2011
I would add that, as fast as android has come along they have not taken over the laptop market as of yet. The software and hardware are likely to further evolve within 12 months where upon you could lose the laptop if you are prepared to wait. If you can convince your mother that the purchase is justified then good for you. But it wont do as much for you as you laptop. At my company we are trying to replace everything onto Android tablets, its a tough task but we'll be there soon.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Well said wotii, welcome to the board! Glad you could join us too. :D I think you're right about the technology evolving a LOT more in the next 12 months, so it's definitely something to think about when buying a tablet now. :)

Dec 11, 2011
I would use it a lot for school and for surfing the web and playing games. I would also use it for car rides(long ones), plane rides, etc.
My mom has the ipad and has beeen very unimpressed. So i think that has a lot to do with her being biast against getting one for me. I would bring it to school with me because i do not want to break my laptop and my schools computers suck, so it would be a big improvement. I want to leave my macbook air at home. Would it be good for that?
Thanks!

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Sounds to me like you would get a lot of use out of a tablet Bballerbrad23. It's up to you most likely to do the research on which tablet you think will suit your needs the best, I have just posted a thread last night that might be useful to you in this. It's the "Features of Some Popular Brand Name Tablets" link in my siggy, so if it was me I would stick with a 10.1" screen size since you're already familiar with the iPad, something smaller wouldn't work out well I'm sure. You might benefit from getting it a keyboard too, so you want one with Bluetooth or USB for sure. I hope that you find what you're looking for, if you need help or have questions just ask. :D