Tablets as mobile phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariohere

Aug 31, 2011
Hello,
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" that I would like to use as a mobile phone. What are my options?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Hello,
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" that I would like to use as a mobile phone. What are my options?

Welcome to the forum

You don't have any options to turn a non phone tablet into a phone, however there are some apps that will allow you to make some limited calls. Magicjack, Oovo, Google Talk and Skype are a few. Most require that the person on the other end also have the same app but you could pay Skype and then use it to call landlines.

Last edited:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
If you have a 3G tablet, you may be able to root and install the phone apk to make it work like a phone.

I know you can make a 3G/4G iPad into an phone.

But, you the speakers are not in the right place to use it other than on speaker phone, or with a set of headphones.

mariohere

Aug 31, 2011
Is there anyway to do a conversion? I've heard of unlocking or jailbreaking. From what I have heard from Samsung the tablet has the capability to function as a phone, but is blocked by Verizon. Can you tell me anything about this?

mariohere

Aug 31, 2011
Sounds good. What are the steps to this process? will my Verizon phone number ring through?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I think you need to use grooveIP with an app like Google Voice. You can get a Google voice number and then use that to make calls on any carrier. Calling the Google Voice number can also ring your home phone or cell phone or any other number you put a forward to so that it becomes a sort of universal number reaching you on which ever device you have. You can also port an existing number to it if you want to keep a certain number. I believe there should be a thread if you search for grooveIP and google voice on this forum.

JP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.