Tethering my 7024 through USB connection?

Discussion in 'Coby Generation 2 Technical' started by sparky204, Nov 7, 2011.

1. sparky204

sparky204 Member

Tablet / Device:
    coby 7024
    I have an old iphone 3g that I picked up a pay go sim card (speakoutwireless) with a cheap $10 unlimited browsing plan that I want to be able to use with my tablet.

I have tried using a wifi tether to no avail. I am wondering if anyone has had any success tethering their tablets using a usb tether with their smartphones?

Using the micro usb to usb adapter could I then connect my smartphone and tether the tablet that way?

2. lfom

lfom Senior Member Developer

I don't think it would work... You need a driver, and there isn't any for Android AFAIK.

3. nba1341

nba1341 Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Coby Kyros MID7022
    Can you wifi tether as WEP? I noticed that wifi tether on my android phones does not work if set as WPA/WPA2 but when set to wep with a preshared key such as 12345678 it worked. On wpa/wpa2 it just connected then disconnected in a cycle.

Just a thought

Oh and keep in mind from a router WPA/WPA2 works just fine for our tablets to connect too. Wifi tether was a different story though for my android phones tethering

4. sparky204

sparky204 Member

Tablet / Device:
    coby 7024
    ya i read somewhere that ad hoc connections wont work with android tablets so I think that is basicly what the iphone app i use is. On a side note I hate the damned iphone but i got it for free so im gonna use it untill someone on kijiji trades me for a good android phone.

Anyways my old htc hero I could not wifi tether with as well because it was essentially an ad hoc connection.

5. lfom

lfom Senior Member Developer

There is a patch to enable tethering to ad-hoc connections on Gingerbread, most custom firmwares use it. Did you take a look? If it's out of warranty I'd recommend this, you will get a new tablet with Gingerbread. If it's under warranty or you don't wanna mess with ROMs, there are tethering apps that create infrastructure networks and work with unpatched ROMs.