The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Do u happen to have a link to like a alibaba seller that has these non branded ones?

I do not. I think the unbranded one out there is the Advent Vega variant. You might want to try asking on Modaco's Advent Vega forum.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks man. I'll poke around there.

if i can get it for sub $300, i would so get it.

I think that would be impossible.

You should get the gTablet because at least you can get returns and repairs in case anything goes wrong. Plus you get it way faster.

integlspwr

Feb 13, 2011
the thing is apple has the ipad on refurbish for about $400 plus tax with free shipping.

i see no sense spending $399 on a gtab
I think that would be impossible.

You should get the gTablet because at least you can get returns and repairs in case anything goes wrong. Plus you get it way faster.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
If you want an iPad, get an iPad. Android tablets are not suitable substitutes for the iPad, but a product in their own right. Until you see Android tablets that way, whatever you get will be a disappointment.

There are refurbished gTablets as well, but quantities have been rather scarce. They are below $300.

integlspwr

Feb 13, 2011
If you want an iPad, get an iPad. Android tablets are not suitable substitutes for the iPad, but a product in their own right. Until you see Android tablets that way, whatever you get will be a disappointment.

There are refurbished gTablets as well, but quantities have been rather scarce. They are below $300.

now we are talking. where can i find them ?

wildrider

Feb 14, 2011
Learned alot in this thread but have several questions I didn't see answered............
Want an Android tablet for the wife...she's mainly interested in it to play Mahjong, but would on ocassion surf the web at home and away. At home we have wifi, but when not connected to wifi...What are my options? 3g? I know the Galaxy has all this but at a price. If I go a cheaper route Color Nook or Archos 7, will I be able to connect to the web away from home through my Droid using PDAnet?
(My Droid & PDAnet works great using a Dell laptop.) Appreciate any advice or info to help purchase the right tablet

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The Nook Color will work after a patched file (easy). The Archos 7 (Home Tablet) has a series of painful workarounds to make it work. You have to do the Archos 70/101 over bluetooth.

archat68

Feb 6, 2011
@xaueious
What do you recommend between Archos 7 Home Tablet, Coby 7 inch and the Sylvania 7 inch? There are some pretty good deals for the Archos HT. My primary use would be browsing and some multimedia viewing.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Stay far away from the Archos 7 Home Tablet. They came out with a v2 already. The v2 is not as good as the Coby or the Sylvania in most instances.

Have not heard much about the Sylvania lately. When in doubt, the Coby MID7015 will be good for your needs if you bought something today.

How familiar are you with Android?

Sylvania does Angry Birds and other games. But it is more difficult than average to load things onto it because of the difficulty of loading Android market. It also has had some other quirks that has made people stay away. In terms of raw specs, it outclasses the MID7015. There is a possible Android 2.2 update around the corner as well. It is still not enough for me to recommend this until there are more details.

archat68

Feb 6, 2011
Thanks.
I'm using Android phones for some time. Not an expert - but have some knowledge.
Is there any forum that has Custom ROM etc for the Sylvania?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
That's my point. The Sylvania is not a good tablet to modify. It doesn't even have a recovery partition right now. You can go over to the subforum and look at the ugly Market fix.

For the Coby, at least we have clockwork recovery.