The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Neither have GPS. I don't have an answer for you, because there are no Android tablets I recommend with RJ45 LAN and GPS. You also didn't list a price. I think you can try to some reading first to figure out what is feasible...

Jusa

Feb 22, 2011
Ok, here's what I'm looking for and I haven't found what I'm looking for... yet. I think I'm looking pretty much the same as jtodaro:

• Display 7" or bigger
  • Android 2.2 (2.1 will do if there's nothing else available)
  • WiFi
  • GPS (critical, got to have this)
  • Multitouch display
  • Decent performance (watching 720p videos, reading books)
  • Bluetooth (to connect to the internet via my 3G Android phone)

Budget I'm looking at is preferably under 500€ (~680 USD). Finding something with multitouch and GPS seems like a real hero's quest...

Last edited:

cheerful

Feb 19, 2011
@TechieJ The Nook Color is a steal at that price. You should check out tablet prices in other countries as reference.

@cheerful Assuming you are in the US, and you listed no budget, the Xoom if you can afford one. Otherwise, the eLocity A10 pre-order looks alright. Take a look at the Viewsonic gTablet as well.

Did not know Xoom is so expensive. Will check out the other 2 (gTablet is apparently cheaper). They are both 2.2. Is that safe to safe they can be upgraded to 3.0 later?

Any other on the low end side ($300)?

Thanks

Last edited:

cjburden16

Sep 2, 2010
I am looking to upgrade my e pad tablet to something more current. I want something with at least a 7 inch screen, able to easily read pdfs and .cbz/.cbr files, a good screen since most of what im doing on it will be reading comics and pdfs. I want something less than $400 If i can. I dont mind going a little over if i have too. I have been looking into the nook color and the g-tab. I like the screen on the nook color a lot even though it is a little small but i like the power on the g-tab. Anyone have experience reading pdfs or comics on the nook? Please help me pick something good.

JDoumo

Feb 1, 2011
I've narrowed my choice Coby 7015 or Wits A81E+ mainly because these are the two I can get locally (Japan -- don't have time or patience to deal with a China site) that have robust user communities and get good reviews. It will be my first ("starter") tablet and I want to be able to play with it and test out all the possible functions to see what I'd want/need when the v3.0 tablets come out and drop in price (hopefully around the end of the year when I'm back in the states).

Unfortunately overall the prices are quite here (Japan) and the A81E+ is about $25 more expensive than the 7015. Right now I am leaning towards the A81E+ as it runs 2.2, can run Wince (which I have some experience with), has GPS (won't work well but will at least give me a sense of it I want it in future tablets), and is only about $15 ($259) more than if I bought it from Merimobiles with the recommended express shipping.

However, I'd like to here people's reaction before I take the plunge. Many thanks...

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@jtodaro Removing the GPS requirement does narrow down your list. Now you have the HTC Flyer on the high end. The low-end consists of a bunch of tablets that are not really as reliable. Everything else that has GPS has wifi. There is the Witstech A81 capacitive with GPS on the low-end if you are desperate, but I am not sure if the GPS works well, or the capacitive touch.

@Jusa Just go for the HTC Flyer. You will have way less headaches and something you'll actually love to have.

@cheerful It isn't safe to assume anything. But there is community support, meaning that you can try to upgrade it yourself relying on the hardwork of other people who own the same thing. They usually don't make this a very easy process for you either. You have to be Android literate.

@cjburden16 I wouldn't be able to answer either of those questions very well, but hop into the Nook Color section to ask the Nook Color question, and the XDA gTablet section to ask the other. You could just pick one up and return it if you don't like it.

@JDoumo Not sure if you will get a reply here per-say. Merimobiles prices tend to be a little higher than other places that ship directly from China, but they actually speak English. You would be so much better off if someone just shipped you a Nook Color from the US. That would probably be less risky than owning the WITS. When you do return to the US, keep the receipt so you can still do what you need.

TxToast

Feb 24, 2011
I am looking to purchase an android tablet to learn on. I've avoided the ipad since I view it as a consumption device. At this time I'm looking at an E121 or similar for business use. I can't really justify a xoom or similar
right now. I've got a lot of background in building/fixing computers (down to the soldering level) as well as web design. I ran a consulting firm that was using thin client back in 97. I'd like something I can root or put
a custom ROM later that can run 2.2 (or 2.3) and is potentially upgradeable to 3.0. Price point is roughly $300 (At what point do you just buy a xoom or similar). Would love to pay less but open to spending a bit more.

Reading as much as possible here the big issue is the forrest gump box of chocolates (not knowing exactly what your buying). I'd like a 8in/9.7 or 10.2 in tablet. I realiz there are potential stability issues etc.

Recognizing I'm totally clueless here are a few i'm contemplating....

http://www.*****************/products/product_33341.htm

http://www.*****************/products/product_33340.htm

http://www.*****************/products/product_32052.htm

I took these all off of the same website, no clue if they are decent or a total ripoff...

I also have no issue with being corrected, if there is a smarter cheaper platform for learning (want to run 2.2 or higher)
then please send me in that direction. To me this is my learning platform and is obviously somewhat expendable:).

Last edited:

TxToast

Feb 24, 2011
For a starter (meaning I want to tinker) android tablet is the Xoom really "best" (yes I can afford one)? At the moment I dont see the functionality for business use compared to the E121 or similar. Hopefully that will change
soon (I'd love to dump MS). So assuming we have a 12 month or so ramp up until mainstream commercial apps port over or move entirely to the cloud is there something less expensive (not "cheap" per se). to serve as a learning
platform. I've thought about a color nook but am not certain that the 3.0 port is ready yet. I am also a total neophyte to android tinkering so don't what best option is. Seems like the color nook has a wide community following however...

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I can't see any of those links because you posted links to a blacklisted vendor. Start with my recommended list. I just haven't updated it for Honeycomb, but beyond that it isn't too bad to look at.

Zank

Feb 25, 2011
Hi everyone, just joined and glad there's a specific thread for what I'm about to ask, android tablet related. I currently have and ipad and iPhone, but have become increasingly envious of the prowess of the android system, especially with the new 2.3. I liked the iPad price point of 499, and def don't want to go for the xooms or galaxy tabs for 800$, so I'm looking to spend maybe 200-300$ give or take on an android tablet, one of those apad hypad etc types will do. I will really basically be using it for browsing, marketplace apps, etc.

My requirements:

I'm looking for two tablets, one 7 inch( whatever the standard resolution is for this size) and one 10 inch same resolution as iPad.

Would be good to have the newer 1ghz processors so the system is fast, and with 512mb ram. I don't care about the memory internally but 2-4 gb would be good since most of these have sd card slots. I am not necessarily interested in playing flash, but I want a smooth user experience.

Definitely would like to have a front facing camera.

Battery life: most I've seen in the china brands is 3-4 which is odd. I'd prefer something that gave me at least 5-6 hrs with normal usage, or closer to the iPad if possible.

Don't necessarily care about hdmi output, etc, but need to have mic built in.

Screen orientation sensor not a big deal as I normally use in landscape mode.

The ones I've seenso far are dropad, apad (not sure which model) And hypad m7 but I know there's a whole world of these tablets out there.

The other thing is who makes the software updates for these? I am not familiar with android, but is there a standard google build one can load on these, since android is open source and all, or is this manufacturer specific? I would thing unlike motorola samsung lg etc who want market differentiation and thus build crappy interfaces on top of android, making ti difficult to root the device or load normal android on to it, these device makers infact would probably prefer the standard builds without too much tinkering. That's what I want, the pure google experience without skins or anything. Something that has access to the full android marketplace or whatever the AppStore is called. Again, not sure how the android scene works so let me know if I've assumed wrong.

Gps would be good to have to take advantage of google maps, but I can go either way on this. If I find something that has everything else I can sacrifice on this.

Definitely need a capacitors touch screen rather than resistive.

So in summary, most important for me is ability to easily update, hopefully without waitingfor some manufacturer to update the software, add gimmicks, or resorting to hacking, but if there is always waiting involved then I'd rather go for the one who has reliable track record of updates.

Capacitive screen (hopefully multitouch)

Both 7 inch plus 10 inch models

Front camera

Access to full market place

1 ghz.

Good battery life.

Android 2.2.

Wifi bgn

Gps would be good to have to take advantage of google maps, but I can go either way on this. If I find something that has everything else I can sacrifice on this.

Bluetooth would be nice bonus to have.

Would appreciate any help on this.

Last edited:

TxToast

Feb 24, 2011
I can't see any of those links because you posted links to a blacklisted vendor. Start with my recommended list. I just haven't updated it for Honeycomb, but beyond that it isn't too bad to look at.

I haven't seen a vendor list but there is so much to cover here. I've seen Pandawill here so I'll use then as a reference point.

Going only on appearance, form factor and my limited understanding something like this is appealing. Ideally I'd like both touch and written input with a bigger form factor then the nook.

Pandawill.com : Android OS : Gpad GForce MID 9.7 inch Android 2.2 Multi-touch Capacity Screen 8GB Gravity Sensor Aluminum Shell Camera Coffee :

Pandawill.com : Android OS : SmartQ R10 MID 9.7 Inch IPS Screen Android 2.1 Ambient Light Sensor G-sensor 1080P Black :

Here is a telechips based 10.2 running 2.1

Buy Haipad M1001 Ultrathin MID Android 2.1 Dual Touch 10.1 Gravity Sensor 2GB Plastic Shell Black compare price at pandawill.com

Out of the builders copying the ipad form factor does one stand out?

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

nmcabe

Feb 24, 2011
I am looking at the Nook Color rooted to be an android tablet, My requirements are light, I always have a computer around, I want something mobile (not 3/4G wi-fi is ok) but don't want an awkward laptop for all of the obvious reasons. I am curious of any recommendations on it

TxToast

Feb 24, 2011
I'm a new kid on the block but from what I read so far the Nook Color is a very widely supported "development platform". i'm flip flopping between the nook and one of the "Gpad" 9.7 inch types. I really would love
a larger working area.

I do have a general question. One of the 9.7 in apads has voice, touch and pen recognition. Can the nook color work with "onenote" type android apps?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@Zank Advertised specs for operating time for shanzhai Chinese pads is more than actual usage scenarios. The quality of batteries in those tablets is typically quite low. Why would you want something that has the same resolution as the iPad in an Android tablet? That's just asking for trouble and application incompatibility with Android applications.

You should pick up the Archos 70 and Archos 101 IT. Those do not have GPS though. But it has front camera, bluetooth, capacive multitouch, wifi bgn, blueooth, and a very easy way to access the market (quick install).

@TxToast Do not buy a clone if you can help it. I can't emphasize this enough. If you really want a bigger device that has custom firmwares, the only one is the Viewsonic gTablet. Do not consider anything else, because you will not find similar support for custom firmwares anywhere on the market. Don't bother with the 9.7" shanzhai. I mean it. If you don't like the size of the Nook Color, and want to flash custom firmware, get the gTablet.

@nmcabe If you aren't overwhelmed by the instructions, go for a Nook Color. Otherwise buy the Archos 70 IT if you are talking about sub $300US. I am only recommending these because you listed no budget, by the way.