The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Gothy

Dec 27, 2010
@Gothy
I would still recommending spending closer to the full amount of your budget on a tablet because having a faster processor makes all the difference in the world to a smooth non-text based reading experience. The Archos 70 is the only tablet I would really recommend for you. You need to find yourself a sale, because retail prices tend to be a little on the high end for the Archos 70 where you are at right now. But I see deals: archos 70 | Compare Prices & Info - Kelkoo
Thanks for the reply, that is a very good deal for the Archos 70, but I do not want to pay over my budget, when I want what are really, quite basic features.
I am not looking for the fastest, smoothest experience so much as I am looking for something that does not get in the way of what I am doing. I am happy to have a little loading time as long as the device is fairly stable.

I have seen a few tablets in the cheaper ranges that offer scroll balls for viewing, but not knowing much about the version of Android I need, I have shied away from look at anything in-depth.

keveye

Dec 27, 2010
Thank you for the reccomendation,

I was just wondering, would I be better getting a slightly smaller tablet at the same price with better specs & regarding the telechips - is that a brand/model or the chip inside?
and would you be able to link me to a good telechips pad on pandawill.com?

& why is the Flytouch pad only worth it with GPS?

thanks a billion,

Kevin.

EDIT: is this the telechips pad you were talking about?
http://www.pandawill.com/haipad-m10...ty-sensor-2gb-plastic-shell-black_p39369.html

@Gothy
I would still recommending spending closer to the full amount of your budget on a tablet because having a faster processor makes all the difference in the world to a smooth non-text based reading experience. The Archos 70 is the only tablet I would really recommend for you. You need to find yourself a sale, because retail prices tend to be a little on the high end for the Archos 70 where you are at right now. But I see deals: archos 70 | Compare Prices & Info - Kelkoo

@keveye
I would buy the Flytouch 2 if I really had the two to choose from. It does have the most value. Neither are trouble free. There's also a Telechips TCC8902 at 10", but it tends to be on the expensive side.

@mamagoth
Grab yourself a Coby Kyros. It fits your needs perfectly, except that you shouldn't expect to be able to write notes on it too well. It wouldn't be extremely responsive either, but at this price point it would be hard to beat.

Last edited:

gkg44

Dec 28, 2010
Hi, I looked at viewsonic, it looks like an ok tablet. Can you use something like that with a tether to your cell phone if you have a data plan? It looks like the viewsonic only works on wifi.
I noticed blackberry advertises as an advantage to their equipment that you can tether the tablet, so I guess you only have the one data plan to pay. I don't really understand this well as I am new to this market. Thanks
gkg

subcultureuk

Nov 17, 2010
Hi

Just wanted to stop in and say thanks again for the advice...im now viewing this forum on my new Advent Vega, and i absolutely love it!

Now to go and work out what rooting means and how to do it...lol

mamavazquez

Dec 25, 2010
I have been looking awhile for the following. Everytime I find one the chinese manufacture comes back to tell me they are either sold out or not available. I am ready to pull my hair out!

I would like the following:

8 in or bigger
direct access to google market by icon
camera and/or webcam
android 2.2 capable of flash for a business website and coffeehouse presentations
built in microphone/speakers for skype
wifi
access to facebook, skype, youtube

I can usually find most of the features together except keep getting hung up with having google 2.2 and a camera Its usually only one or the other. I am looking to spend under $300

mamagoth

Dec 23, 2010
@Xaueious- by responsive, i just mean that i wont have to smash a stylus into it ten times in order to type one letter will I? lol
Because i can be patient, even my desk top has days that its slower than tar in january.

I found some apps on side me. Has anyone used any of the following on a coby kyros?

Andronotes, Stylusnotes....

mamagoth

Dec 23, 2010
How will I know if an app on slideme works for my tablet without having to download it first?

jluvbaby

Dec 28, 2010
hey guys... im brand new to the site and in dire need of your help... i thought i was in the market for a notebook but im finding these android tablets and i like the size of the tablets... Im sure this question has been asked already but what I am looking for is a tablet that i can use on the road... I do a lot of on the road traveling... I am a huge boxing fan and i need one that can handle live streaming.... Is there a tablet on the market that can handle that type of job for between $200 to $250 dollars?.... i know i might be asking for a lot... if one is available for more how much more?... please help... if someone has direct info please email me at [email protected]... thanks... i work a lot so it is hard for me to check this site like i would like but i am ready to order a tablet like yesterday... lol...

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@keveye That's the one. It's listed under different names all over the place. It's not really any better.

@gkg44 It might need a work around depending on your configuration, but it can work.

@subcultureuk No problem :)

@mamavazquez The Archos 101 would be alright for you considering that the Android market is literally a one-click apk away from being installed. It really does everything you ask for.

@mamagoth I think SlideMe market will work on there. Otherwise, you could get Google Market working on it without too much trouble if you really did need it. Some of the freeware apps should be easy to find. If you need anything, you can probably ask for it here if you really have trouble finding it and we can find it for you. Most apps will work from any application repositrary, unless you are looking at apps that require 3D functionality or processor intensive operations.

@jluvbaby I hope it's okay to reply here. Android tablets are not typically as good as notebooks for video streaming because they are not as powerful, and have worse battery life in general. If it is Adobe Flash video, performance on most Android devices isn't really great out-of-the-box anyways. How willing are you to tweak with the system before it works?

hookedand

Dec 28, 2010
I am looking for an android tablet 7" which will be
- Primarily used for reading pdf's, watching movies in formats of avi, mp4, mpeg, and listening to music in mp3,wav formats.
- Secondary use is internet, watching videos using flash
- I want it to have a calendar and be able to download android apps.
Additional features are always cool especially hd resolution but not necessary. I allready have a pandigital 7" white e reader which is fine but lacks the capabilities of playing avi, mpeg videos or at least it does coming out of the box (should I keep this one?), the plan is to return this and purchase one about similar price range of $150-$200. All suggestions are appreciated!
Sorry to repost, just never got an answer.

i00jay

Dec 23, 2010
There is so much info in this forum! It's amazing to be able to pull all this info together.

Here is what I'm looking for, I haven't found the right fit yet and I'm hoping you can help:

7 or 10 inch (7 prefered)
Android 2.2 with flash support
Web cam
Skype with video capability
USB slot
Market place
microSD support (16 or 32)
Note taking using stylus (Handwriting)

I think I've limited my search to a resistive screen Android 2.2 platform device but none of the specs I've read specifically state that the full skype experience is working or tht the notes input can be either pen (Handwriting) or keyboard.

Thanks for your feedback.
J

mamavazquez

Dec 25, 2010
How easy is it to install Market on the Archos 101. I am definatley new to all this and dont wanna buy something then end up screwing it up.

@keveye That's the one. It's listed under different names all over the place. It's not really any better.

@gkg44 It might need a work around depending on your configuration, but it can work.

@mamavazquez The Archos 101 would be alright for you considering that the Android market is literally a one-click apk away from being installed. It really does everything you ask for.

@mamagoth I think SlideMe market will work on there. Otherwise, you could get Google Market working on it without too much trouble if you really did need it. Some of the freeware apps should be easy to find. If you need anything, you can probably ask for it here if you really have trouble finding it and we can find it for you. Most apps will work from any application repositrary, unless you are looking at apps that require 3D functionality or processor intensive operations.

@jluvbaby I hope it's okay to reply here. Android tablets are not typically as good as notebooks for video streaming because they are not as powerful, and have worse battery life in general. If it is Adobe Flash video, performance on most Android devices isn't really great out-of-the-box anyways. How willing are you to tweak with the system before it works?

keveye

Dec 27, 2010
Is the Haipad m1001 worth an extra 30$, is the build quality as good as the Flytouch+is there a good community & does the haipad have an HDMI port

and lastly, is pandawill the cheapest place to buy?

thanks so much,

Kevin.

Last edited:

jluvbaby

Dec 28, 2010

exactly what do you mean by tweaking the system before it works?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@hookedand Sorry I missed your post, but there's nothing that fits your budget unless you take a risk and buy a shanzhai tablet such as the Samsung S5PV210 or the Freescale IMX515 based 8" tablets. I can't recommend either one right now because the firmware isn't quite good enough yet, but the for Flash the Samsung based one would be better. You can find the Samsung under names of TMD MID, or Herotab M816, to include a couple. The next ones up are the Archos 70 and Elocity A7, both around $300 and work with Adobe Flash. The Nook Color is supposed to get 2.2 with Adobe Flash support later as well, but since it doesn't have Flash yet I can't recommend that to you.

@jluvbaby It means it wont work as intended out of the box, and requires you to do some research beforehand.

@keveye The 10" Telechips has better community support than the Flytouch II, but the Flytouch II has better specifications (and works with Angry Birds). It also does seem to be built better and comes with HDMI as well. It's hard for me to say if it is worth the extra money because the Flytouch II has a lot of variables with build quality. I prefer the M1001 if I really had to pick, but if I am spending $30 more I would spend a little more money on something that is actually from a trusted brand.