The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

mareks166LV

Dec 18, 2010
Hello! Please recommend 2 good tablet pc's with my specifications:

1. Price for one tablet up to $150 for other up to $200
2. Screen from glass,capacitive,size 7-10 inch,better bigger,resolution not smaller 1024*... in some cases 800*...
3. Processor 1Ghz and faster,good processor (top brand)
4. Memory at least 512MB
5. Wifi
6. Good battery life,not less than 5-hours
7. Flash support
8. HDMI-out
9.USB host port
10.Regular update ability
11. 1080P or 2160P video playback support

Tablet will be used for surfing the net and watching high quality movies,sometimes playing games.

Thanks,what you would recommend?

Last edited:

curt7088

Jan 2, 2012
I've read all the reviews and apparently the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus is easily the best 7" tablet on the market, a direct comparison by one reviewer showed the Toshiba falls considerably short of the Samsung. The Acer is much cheaper, a good tablet but with poor battery life.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I actually just read a couple reviews today on the galaxy tab 7 plus... my question is compared to the acer (battery life is not a concern for me considering i'm almost always near a place that i can charge) is the extra benjamins on the galaxy tab worth it? and is there a big developer community behind it?

waterbug

Jan 1, 2012
Yo Dudes
Want a tab i can love, i'll treat it like a baby if it is functional, if it turns out to be otherwise i'll massage it with a sledgehammer
Dont want something that locks up, if I wanted to spend all my time pokin the reset i would get another Micro$oft product
Don't care what it looks like can look like dog feces i'll just polish it up a bit, as long as the display is really good!
Don't care about flash and all that crap
Don't want two pices of plastic with some aluminum foil between them, DIG!
Want something i can hack and or mod like crazy
Want something i can restore after i *(&^%$#$ it up, and i will do that without question
Want something with 100,000,000 users so i wiill have some support
There was some more stuff but i allready forgot what it was
Am i crazy? Yes, born like that and aint got no better

Want something i can hack and or mod the heck out of

LaNoraLuv

Jan 4, 2012
I am interested in finding a tablet to replace a bad gift my bf purchased for me :) He had great intentions but picked a bad company. mp3playerstore.com sold him a Innovatek inno android-9 9.7 tablet that just did not work. We are still waiting for a return auth. number to send it back. Now I REALLY want a tablet since it sparked my interest so much.

I want to mostly use it for android apps (games), watching videos (youtube) and movies (netflix).9-10inches. Also A big facebook user, so a camera and good chat capability would be best. I see some tablets have GPS, that may be a good feature to have also. The one we got was 169.95 plus 9.95 shipping (thats putting us out 9.95 plus return shipping to caNADA) Looking to spend about $200. I have read the tablet buying list here. How do I pick a seller/site I can trust to buy from?? I know the star rating helps some but do u have any suggestions at all if only a few?

looking at Flytouch 6th 10.1 Inch Tablet PC Android 2.3 HDMI Support Flash Drive 4GB RJ45 Port 1080P Silver on Pandawill.com ??

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Sir_Cusfreak

Nov 29, 2011
more people should suggest the LePan at $200 price marks. It's good. It's nice, it's a quality built device, and it works really well for the things most people want to do with tablets. I really love mine. at $200, you really can't beat it.

Anyway, I am currently looking for a cheap ($125-ish USD) tablet for my 9yr old daughter. I've seen the Paladin, but I'm concerned about the reports of apps not working with the MIPS chip. I'm also really hoping to buy from a seller that ships from inside the US.

I'm looking for a Capacitive screen, flash support for browser-based games, (not just app games) ebooks, music, and google talk for texting. I dont care which Android version it has, but flash matters.

I have my eye on this one but I *seriously* cannot find any info on it. I'm hoping anyone can say "yes I have that and it's decent." I have searched extensively through google, youtube, and several forums, but I cannot find any info. I am starting to think if I buy it, I might be the first person ever. (If so, I promise to review it.)

Anyway, have a look and see if it's something that might be worth buying.
Newegg.com - iView Iview 760TPC Android Tablet ARM Cortex-A8 1.00GHz 7" TFT Capacitive Touch Screen 512MB Memory 4GB Flash HDD

This is the 760 model. I found reviews on the previous models 710, 740, 750. They all had resistive screens, and didn't seem to be that great, but the 760 claims better stats, so I'm kinda hopeful...but I'm just not sure about it.

Any advice?

Jimgonz

Jan 4, 2012
I really like the feel of the Samsung Galaxy Tab. It's easy to hold on to and lighter than the Acer. That being said, I have heard that there are screen issues, power issues and freezes with it. The little experience I have with the Acer has been solid and the features are robust. The only issue I noticed was the dropping of Wifi no and then.

Anyone with experience with both willing to offer your opinions?

I want a tab for:

Intenet
videos
music
a few games

DangerousFat

Jan 5, 2012
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
- Reading e-books, comics, pdf's, surfing facebook/reddit, watching youtube and netflix, must have wifi and some kind of card slot, must be capacitive multi-touch, don't care about games in general, but if it'll run some, then bonus. Would be nice to be able to get old nes/snes/genesis roms on it.

2) how much you are willing to spend
- $250 absolute max, closer to or under $200 is better.

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
- 9+, preferably 10+

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
- I know a little about android, but am extremely computer savvy (windows programmer)

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
- United States, Florida

AdamRoby

Jan 5, 2012
- I am looking to buy a tablet primarily for my 2 year old daughter to watch cartoons while riding in the car and stuck in traffic. I need to be able to rip her DVDs, and also run some video player to play AVIs that have been downloaded. (DivX, Xvid, etc.). This will be the primary use and therefore any considerations for playing these types of files including being able to hear the movie via the device speaker is important. She is only 2 so quality is not a huge priority, as long as there are no studders. I will likely want to use a USB flash drive as the media.

- I would like to spend between $100 and $150 for the device if possible.

- Realistically an 8" tablet should suffice, since I already have a mount for a portable DVD player in the car that I will use and it's max size is for 9".

- I am a computer programmer on Windows based machines therefore am literate, but have no experience with Android and very basic experience with Linux.

- I am from the Montreal (actually west of the island) Canada.

I am already looking at to possible candidates, one being very cheap from China and the other locally from Walmart.
Cheap one (Alphatab 7"): AlphaTab - 7 Inch Android 2.3 Tablet with WiFi and Camera (4GB)
Preferred one (Curtis 8"): Curtis® KLU LT8029 8" Capacitive Touch Screen Internet Tablet, Computers & Accessories | Walmart Canada - Save Money. Live Better.=

As a secondary function, it would be nice to install some games on the device (again for a youngster) for those times stuck at the doctor's office. If I can also use it when she is not to access email when WiFi is available, that is an additional advantage but not a necessity.

Thanks for any feedback, and if you feel the Curtis is the way to go I would like to order it in the next few days unless I get a lot of negative feedback.

Cheers,
Adam

Strut

Jan 10, 2012
Looking for just a web browsing / media machine. Won't use it for gaming much, if at all, but I've seen a few of the budget android tablets and between the laggy operation and the various quirks (too many times I've heard, "it works perfectly fine, you just can only touch the screen with your fingernail") I think I would like a higher end tablet. Want something that runs smooth.
  • Have some gift cards to best buy so I'm kinda restricted to purchasing from there, unless there's a GREAT deal someplace else.
  • 500$ MAX
  • only need 16GB
  • 10" screen
I'm looking between the transformer prime, transformer, and the galaxy. All the problems I'm hearing about with the prime have me leaning away from it. Right now I think the transformer looks like the best bet, but I'm worried about the lack of gorilla glass, and the weight / quality vs the galaxy. I'm looking at $399 for the transformer and $499 for the galaxy (it should come down soon I'd imagine).

Am I on the right track? is the Galaxy worth the extra $$ over the transformer? Am I just being paranoid about the prime? Is now even the time to be buying (new CES stuff right around the corner)?

Rose4uKY

Aug 1, 2010
I've read the Prime stories too but I have also read good things about the Prime. Mine will be here tomorrow from BB. I took the plunge and can't wait to get it. And for 499 you get 32 gigs. I don't care about GPS that much and that is the main problem I have been reading about. I only use GPS when traveling which isn't often and I use my EVO 3D phone. Some say wifi isn't so great on some of the tablets but it may depend on the persons router and internet connection I don't know. Guess I'll find out tomorrow but I say try the Prime if you can get one.

Looking for just a web browsing / media machine. Won't use it for gaming much, if at all, but I've seen a few of the budget android tablets and between the laggy operation and the various quirks (too many times I've heard, "it works perfectly fine, you just can only touch the screen with your fingernail") I think I would like a higher end tablet. Want something that runs smooth.
  • Have some gift cards to best buy so I'm kinda restricted to purchasing from there, unless there's a GREAT deal someplace else.
  • 500$ MAX
  • only need 16GB
  • 10" screen
I'm looking between the transformer prime, transformer, and the galaxy. All the problems I'm hearing about with the prime have me leaning away from it. Right now I think the transformer looks like the best bet, but I'm worried about the lack of gorilla glass, and the weight / quality vs the galaxy. I'm looking at $399 for the transformer and $499 for the galaxy (it should come down soon I'd imagine).

Am I on the right track? is the Galaxy worth the extra $$ over the transformer? Am I just being paranoid about the prime? Is now even the time to be buying (new CES stuff right around the corner)?

CEV

Jan 13, 2012
Hello, I am new here. I do not yet own a tablet, but am in the market for one. Would really like to buy now, but can try and wait for a month or so if needed.

1) I will mainly be using it for internet, email, and reading forums. No major game playing, maybe just "Words With Friends" or "Bejewled" and simple ones like that. May use it for streaming music via Spotify connected to external speakers or through Bluetooth. May occasionally take it to work and we use Google Apps there. Also may use it for navigation. Will only be getting a Wi-Fi version so not sure how that works with the GPS. Can you use offline Google Maps via GPS without being connected to the Internet? Features I would like are Flash, gps, bluetooth, front and rear cameras (may start using Skype someday). Another feature I would really like is an available charging dock.
2) Would REALLY like to spend only $350, but I would like to keep it for about 2-3 years before upgrading, so if I HAD to spend up to $500 to do that I would.
3) Needs to be a 10" and think will only need 16GB.
4) I am familiar with Android as I have a rooted Droid X for my phone.
5) I am located in the USA.

To stay in the $350 range I have been considering the Motorola Xoom, especially now that I see it is getting ICS. Only thing is though it is now almost a year old and only down to $350-$380, unless someone knows where I can get one cheaper? Kind of leery of buying something like that on E-Bay.

Thanks for any suggestions, and your reasoning for it.

Chad

Vialli

Jan 13, 2012
I'm new here and this is my first post. I've been looking everywhere for a tablet that suits my needs but havent´s found the right one for me, so i am trying among you guys a little help clearing my mind.

My essencial needs are these one´s:
- 7-8" screen
- good cpu
1GHz minimum like S5PV210 or VC882
- Flash support
- GPS
- 3G built-in or external
-
capacitive screen
-
support, firmware updates with the help of an existing community.

Like i live in Portugal i want to spend around 150-200€(euros). By the way if you know any online stores in the UE where i can by good low-cost tablets, i would ask u to share them with me. Many thanks to that.

I´m not a complete neewbie in the android world, i´m used to change roms in my phone, but not cooking them myself, that why i need the support of a community that can help me.

If anyone could me with this decision, many regards to u all ,

cumps

Last edited:

luaymaani

Jan 13, 2012
Hello . Im new here.. and to be honest i have no idea about the Android OC. Im kinda an apple fan. but they dont offer what i need at the moment.
i still didnt make any details research about android. but i found that they are maaaanyyyyyyyyyyy 2.1,2.2,3,4.. and you stuck with what you buy unlike apple! anyway... im not here to ask about this issue..

I already have the ipod touch 4g i jailbreak it myself. Really satisfied with it as gaming, music device...

However, as a PhD student at the moment.. I do read A LOT of pdf files.. aside of my addiction on online news -Pulse news particularly-..

The 10" tablet is kinda bulky for me. i already have 10.1 netbook and i dont like to read from it neither on 16",22",32" Laptop/PCs i have.
I read that 7" tablet will suit the reading purpose -amazon kindles specifically-

So Kindle fire is the most convenient option for me. -Pdf,Pulse news,web experience- with affordable 200$
But the main con that it has no support for 3g.

i found that there are alot of chinese based android OC. I
found that there is a very cheap tablet 70$ http://www.ebay.com/itm/4G-7-MID-Google-Android-2-2-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-WiFi-3G-High-Sensitive-/380379957005?
i
also stopped on
Huawei S7 gsm 200 [FONT=Trebuchet, 'Trebuchet MS']$ unlocked and have 3g and can make calls running 2.1 [/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet, 'Trebuchet MS']So ill summaries the points:[/FONT]
  1. Reading PDF files + Pulse news + regular web browsing in bed -youtube, FB, skype ...etc- . -- 3g is a huge pluse for the tablet.
    Not for gaming. current Ipod is Perfect for me at the moment for games.
  2. i would like cheap but reliable tablet 100-130$ . but i can go with 200$ + shipping --Kindle fire in mind now but has no 3g-- (unlocked Huawei S7 gsm is another option with 3g) please if you advice me with more ill be glad.
  3. 7" ONLY
  4. ZERO knowledge in android. but im fast learner,, in a little time i learn how to jailbreak,download, backup/restore cracked apps and Cydia tweeks... etc on ipod
  5. Im in Turkey

Last edited:

paskuniag

May 14, 2011
"I found that there are a lot of chinese based android OC."
The tablet you refer to is called the WonderMedia WM8650. There is a whole forum at this site (SEE: WonderMedia Based) that talks about nothing else. I have one and it works fine as a reader and a wifi tablet, and the 3G works great. I rooted mine with the z4 app (painless to do) and now I have apps coming out of my ears at the Applanet site, It is Adobe Flash and pdf friendly (ditto epub), so reading on it is not a problem. There is no GPS, and the speaker output is a bit weak, but if you upgraded your Apple, then flashing the ROM on the 8650 is a piece of cake, which should vastly improve the audio output.
Good luck!
PS And I wish I had seen that 71 dollar model on EBay before I laid out the 100 bucks for the one I bought LOL!

Last edited:

rhazen

Jan 14, 2012
Hello.
I am a new member, hoping to get some expert advices on getting a new tablet.

I never owned a tablet. However, the university would be a lot easier with one, it seems.

1. I am looking for a decent android tablet for these purposes:
e-reading, PDF reading (must be very smooth and not laggy) and annotation, taking notes (with stylus -- I like the feature Lenovo Thinkpad tablet has), and other browsing, basic media options. no 3g necessary.
2. Really, if the product is really worth it, I would go as far as 400 to 500.
3. I think 10" is a good size. 7" seemed too small to me.
4. I have general knowledge of computers and android (have a phone).
5. I am urban canadian.

I appreciate your help! Many thanks.