Tweaks for the MID9742 Stock ROM

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Throughout the past few months I have been working on various tweaks to solve issues related to the stock ROMs. The main reason for this was to actively discourage noobs from trying to install Livesuite and bricking their tablets with that software. Not being overly familiar with Edify scripting it took me a while to figure out just how to get some of these tweaks onto the tablet without having the tablet fail to boot. With the help of Vampirefo making Clockworkmod recovery images available for download and install I can now present to you flashable zips for all the tweaks I have provided.

To install these tweaks, at a minimum, Busybox must be installed beforehand. The easiest way to get Busybox is by heading to the Play Store and installing it from there. It is possible that other app stores such as 1Mobile will have it, but that will require a bit of searching.

These tweaks have been tested on a 9742 and found to be working. The Google Play Compatibility tweaks should work for any Generation 3 tablet with an Allwinner CPU and Clockworkmod installed. The Framework tweaks are only supported on the 9742. They may function on other Generation 3 tablets, however all tweaks applied here are done at your own risk. Neither I nor Androidtablets.net will be held responsible for any issues that may occur in using these tweaks.

Google Play Compatibility Tweaks: These tweaks consist of the build.prop from the 9742 Mobiz ROM and the XML files that were included in that ROM. Combined, these files will allow the end user to download virtually any app. In addition, this should fix the limitation of not being able to properly access \mnt\sdcard.

Google Play Compatibility Tweaks
Download

Framework Tweaks: These tweaks consist of activating the network location service and providing an updated battery indicator in the status bar that counts down battery percentages in increments of one percent. There are two files, depending on which type of battery icon is desired in the status bar. Select the battery style you like best, and download it.

Sense-style Battery
sensebatt.jpg

Download

Cyanogenmod-style Battery
cmbatt-1.jpg

Download

I have also taken the liberty of combining both tweaks into a single flashable zip which will apply everything in one fell swoop. Select the battery style you like best and download.

Sense-style Battery
sensebatt.jpg

Download

cmbatt-1.jpg

Download

As of the date of this post, the following will occur:

1. The tweaks zip in my signature will no longer be available. The link will redirect to this post instead.
  2. The framework-res.apk files I made available in the How To Manually Replace framework-res.apk On Stock ROMs thread will remain available for anyone not wishing to change their battery icon. A link to this thread will be provided there.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Vampirefo ported the Mobiz ROM to the 9742. The build.prop and permissions files were pulled from that ROM and it uses a Samsung GT-I9100 (Galaxy S II, if I recall) fingerprint. I couldn't tell you whether it will fix your problem or not, but it did fix mine in that I now can download TuneIn Radio without a problem.

If you choose to apply the Compatibility Fix, you'll need to force close both the Play Store and the Google Services Framework, then wipe the data and cache for both. Reboot, then access the Play Store. If the Play Store throws up an error the first time you try accessing it, simply close out of it, remove it from the list of recent apps, then restart it.

Psychlone

Dec 5, 2011
@Traveller1701: First of all, a sincere THANK YOU for what you've done for the Coby tablets!

OK, so I just picked up two of them (MID8042) at a really good price ($59 each) for each of my 10 year old twins for a Christmas present.
I'm VERY familiar with rooting and all kinds of modding on Android devices, having owned no less than 10 different kinds, and I'm not afraid to try new things. (previous crackflash addict, now just a CNA and/or AOKP/CM10 junkie!) ;)

So, I rooted both of these, installed CWM on both (and subsequently created a stock image of each), installed gApps on both of them, opened up Google Play Store, installed various games and apps, and then ran into the (new to me) infamous "This app is not compatible with this device" on some pretty basic apps - Chrome being one of them.
I then followed your sig link on why some apps aren't compatible with "this" device, and ended up here, where I downloaded, rebooted and flashed the tweaks-playstore.zip. And then I'm sure you already know where I'm going with this - upside-down screen after boot.

I've seen that you mentioned (somewhere?) that Coby physically installs their screens upside down (wtF is that about anyway?) and then uses code to change it to the proper orientation.
Now, I understand that if the code doesn't exist to turn the screen back around to "correct" orientation, that the screen will remain upside down. However, it stands to reason that the build.prop from 9742 is likely also a device that has a physically reversed screen, which means that it *should* contain the proper code to turn it back around, but no?? I did read that the tweaks that fix the incompatible apps problem is only tested and guaranteed working on the 9742 device.
((confused)) -- I went from having a normal orientation on one of these tabs to upside down after installing the tweaks-playstore.zip.
I've since restored the original image I made and started over so the screen orientation is ok now, but I'd really, REALLY like to have a device that my kids can install whatever they like on rather than one that they'll feel is a kid's toy and "not like dad's or mom's tabs".

If there's something that I can do to get some of the "incompatible apps" from the Play Store on these 2 MID8042 tabs, I'd be extremely pleased.
If, on the other hand, it's just not possible then I understand.

I can't imagine that I missed anything...

Anyway, again, kudos to you for doing as much as you've already done for the Coby tablets. Please do respond one way or another when you can so I can quit banging my head against this.
Thanks!

Psychlone

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Restore from your nandroid backup. Then extract the files from the zip to a directory on the tablet's MicroSD. From there, copy one file at a time over to its proper location then reboot. Whichever file gives the inverted screen after copying it over is the source of your problem. Should the build.prop itself be the problem, pull the build.prop from the Mobiz ROM for the 8042 and put it on your tablet rather than the version in my zip file.

I don't have any other Coby tablets so I can't test these things. Which is why I'm asking you to do this for me.

ADDENDUM: I just reread your post. If this is occurring on only one of the tablets that tablet may be internally different from the other tablet. This is a known issue with Coby tablets. In fact there are three, possibly four, different versions of the 9742. However, I'm not aware of anything in the XML files that can cause this. There is ro.sf.hwrotation=180 in the build.prop. However when I took that out of the Mobiz build.prop when testing it, I ended up with an upside-down screen. It was quite a trick to press the right spot on the screen without a proper visual reference so the tablet could be shut down.

Since you have a nandroid backup, you can also try editing build.prop to remove ro.sf.hwrotation=180 and see if that fixes your issue. That's assuming the build.prop in the 8042 version of the Mobiz ROM is the same as the version in the tweaks zip.

Last edited:

Psychlone

Dec 5, 2011
Restore from your nandroid backup. Then extract the files from the zip to a directory on the tablet's MicroSD. From there, copy one file at a time over to its proper location then reboot. Whichever file gives the inverted screen after copying it over is the source of your problem. Should the build.prop itself be the problem, pull the build.prop from the Mobiz ROM for the 8042 and put it on your tablet rather than the version in my zip file.

I don't have any other Coby tablets so I can't test these things. Which is why I'm asking you to do this for me.

ADDENDUM: I just reread your post. If this is occurring on only one of the tablets that tablet may be internally different from the other tablet. This is a known issue with Coby tablets. In fact there are three, possibly four, different versions of the 9742. However, I'm not aware of anything in the XML files that can cause this. There is ro.sf.hwrotation=180 in the build.prop. However when I took that out of the Mobiz build.prop when testing it, I ended up with an upside-down screen. It was quite a trick to press the right spot on the screen without a proper visual reference so the tablet could be shut down.

Since you have a nandroid backup, you can also try editing build.prop to remove ro.sf.hwrotation=180 and see if that fixes your issue. That's assuming the build.prop in the 8042 version of the Mobiz ROM is the same as the version in the tweaks zip.

Thanks Traveller1701.

LOL @ hitting the right place on an inverted screen - struggled with that a few times when it first switched! ;)

So I should have been a little more clear - I only flashed the tweaks on 1 of the MID8042 tabs, not both. I suspect that it would have reverted the screen on both, but I really was just doing everything on 1 to make sure everything worked correctly first.

I have to be very careful to not let my kids see these, or I would have already done as you requested. Perhaps after they go to bed tonight, I'll try editing the build.prop for the ro.sf.hwrotation=180 and reboot just to see... that's very interesting that they'd go through the trouble of actually physically installing a rectangle upside down and then having code to flip it over. Probably an engineer with no foresight. Or perhaps the extra .01c per tablet for little longer wires was negated by paying someone to put the rotation code in so they could install the screens upside down! Either way, it's a ROFL!

Anyway, again, thank you. I will update here when I have experimented and the results.

Psychlone

torresicecube

Nov 12, 2012
Throughout the past few months I have been working on various tweaks to solve issues related to the stock ROMs. The main reason for this was to actively discourage noobs from trying to install Livesuite and bricking their tablets with that software. Not being overly familiar with Edify scripting it took me a while to figure out just how to get some of these tweaks onto the tablet without having the tablet fail to boot. With the help of Vampirefo making Clockworkmod recovery images available for download and install I can now present to you flashable zips for all the tweaks I have provided.

To install these tweaks, at a minimum, Busybox must be installed beforehand. The easiest way to get Busybox is by heading to the Play Store and installing it from there. It is possible that other app stores such as 1Mobile will have it, but that will require a bit of searching.

These tweaks have been tested on a 9742 and found to be working. The Google Play Compatibility tweaks should work for any Generation 3 tablet with Clockworkmod installed. The Framework tweaks are only supported on the 9742. They may function on other Generation 3 tablets, however all tweaks applied here at done so at your own risk. Neither I nor Androidtablets.net will be held responsible for any issues that may occur in using these tweaks.

Google Play Compatibility Tweaks: These tweaks consist of the build.prop from the 9742 Mobiz ROM and the XML files that were included in that ROM. Combined, these files will allow the end user to download virtually any app. In addition, this should fix the limitation of not being able to properly access \mnt\sdcard.

Google Play Compatibility Tweaks
Download

Framework Tweaks: These tweaks consist of activating the network location service and providing an updated battery indicator in the status bar that counts down battery percentages in increments of one percent. There are two files, depending on which type of battery icon is desired in the status bar. Select the battery style you like best, and download it.

Sense-style Battery
sensebatt.jpg

Download

cmbatt-1.jpg

Download

I have also taken the liberty of combining both tweaks into a single flashable zip which will apply everything in one fell swoop. Select the battery style you like best and download.

Sense-style Battery
sensebatt.jpg

Download

cmbatt-1.jpg

Download

As of the date of this post, the following will occur:

1. The tweaks zip in my signature will no longer be available. The link will redirect to this post instead.
  2. The framework-res.apk files I made available in the http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...lly-replace-framework-res-apk-stock-roms.html thread will remain available for anyone not wishing to change their battery icon. A link to this thread will be provided there.

Hi Traveller1701,

I want to install these tweaks on my coby kyros 9742 but I have a big problem regarding on it, I will be honest to you, I use the livesuite and I think i brick my tablet, i tried it again using the "Firmware restore images for Coby Kyros 9742 >> coby_9742_4.0.3.zip ( coming from RedDeer who provided the the dump)" and after using it the android logo and the triangle disappear but the touchscreen is no longer working, any advise on it on? Or do i need to use another procedure to bring back my tablet alive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
These tweaks are clearly marked for stock ROMs and do Livesuite users no good since the features they include, except the battery indicator, are already on the Livesuite 9742 ROM. In your case, even if you did get them onto the tablet they won't solve your problem.

Other than continuing to play with Livesuite, there's nothing I can or will do for you. I don't support Livesuite users.

torresicecube

Nov 12, 2012
These tweaks are clearly marked for stock ROMs and do Livesuite users no good since the features they include, except the battery indicator, are already on the Livesuite 9742 ROM. In your case, even if you did get them onto the tablet they won't solve your problem.

Other than continuing to play with Livesuite, there's nothing I can or will do for you. I don't support Livesuite users.

Thanks Traveller1701, any application that you can advise to me that I can use on my tablet to bring it alive again.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Not really, unless of course you made a backup of the original firmware before you put the Livesuite ROM on it. Most likely, you didn't, in which case there's no way to get you back to the state you were in prior to messing around with Livesuite. Worse, trying to install ClockworkMod on top of a Livesuite ROM has bricked (rendered unusable) tablets, which is why the disclaimer for my root utility makes it clear that such an activity is not supported and done at your own risk.

rbdalvi

Dec 4, 2012
Thanks Traveller1701.

LOL @ hitting the right place on an inverted screen - struggled with that a few times when it first switched! ;)

So I should have been a little more clear - I only flashed the tweaks on 1 of the MID8042 tabs, not both. I suspect that it would have reverted the screen on both, but I really was just doing everything on 1 to make sure everything worked correctly first.

I have to be very careful to not let my kids see these, or I would have already done as you requested. Perhaps after they go to bed tonight, I'll try editing the build.prop for the ro.sf.hwrotation=180 and reboot just to see... that's very interesting that they'd go through the trouble of actually physically installing a rectangle upside down and then having code to flip it over. Probably an engineer with no foresight. Or perhaps the extra .01c per tablet for little longer wires was negated by paying someone to put the rotation code in so they could install the screens upside down! Either way, it's a ROFL!

Anyway, again, thank you. I will update here when I have experimented and the results.

Psychlone

Psychlone,

Did you figure out which was the rogue file or did changing the build.prop fix the problem? I just rooted my MID9042 and was about to apply the PlayStore Tweak when I saw your post and decided to hold off.

Thanks in advance.