Unable To Transfer Files Properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

rupeshforu3

Jan 31, 2013
Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have a PC and redmi note 4 with 64 GB internal storage. I want to transfer files between redmi note 4 and PC but can't. I am getting a number of errors while transferring in various situations.

I have a folder in external SD card which contains 500 mp3 files of size 2.5 GB. I have tried to move these files to a folder in PC and unfortunately 150 files are transferred properly with correct size and remaining 350 files are copied with zero size for all files. Finally I have lost 350 files in SD card so I have tried to recover using data recovery software in redmi note 4 itself but failed. In order to transfer these files I have compressed them after that copied the resulted zip file to PC and succeeded.

I have three text files in a folder of PC. First I have selected these three text files and selected copy option after that I have connected the phone to PC and selected transfer files option after that in internal storage I have made right click and I can't find paste option and even I have pressed Ctrl+v and no use. I have tried to copy these text files to lenovo a3000 internal storage which is connected as USB storage and successfully completed.

Previously I have tried to copy 2000 mp3 files of size 9 GB and unfortunately 1500 files are copied and remaining left un copied.

Suppose if I want to copy a folder containing 1000 files from PC to redmi note 4 and the phone already contains 500 files. I want to copy remaining 500 files and skip already existing files. I have tried copy and paste and it asked confirmation to replace existing files or not and I have selected no and after that the paste process is taking lot of time. If I try to copy these 1000 files to an empty folder of phone storage the paste process is taking less time than above.

I have used a number of android phones and tabs and all of them have an option to mount storage as USB storage in PC but redmi note 4 doesn't. Can anyone of you suggest how to mount internal storage or external SD card as USB storage. Is there any android app which allows mounting as USB storage.

My PC runs Windows 8.1 pro and my phone runs MIUI 9.

Is there any PC companion suite specifically for redmi note 4 which allows transferring files between redmi note 4 and PC with minimum errors.

Regards,
Rupesh.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You should have updated to Windows 10 when you had the chance, but that's a bit off topic. On topic, there's no software package needed for file transfers. Your issues are hardware related. Either a bad cord or bad USB port on either the phone, the PC, or both, is causing it.

rupeshforu3

Jan 31, 2013
The same USB cable and USB port are working properly with other android devices like lenovo a3000h but not with redmi note 4.

Previously I have used Sony xperia live with Walkman and there was a PC companion suite which is used to transfer files between phone and PC. Is there any such software for redmi note 4.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
My Sony MP3 player from 2012 had a software package available which could be used to transfer files to the device for playback. Nobody needed it however unless they didn't have any clue about using a computer, since Windows 7 had built-in MTP protocol support.

Sony has always been odd when it comes to basic functions, so using them as an example is not doing you any favors.

Put simply, there is no software like you mention because the devices do not need it. File transfer capability is built into Windows. What you may in fact need is a driver, which should be available for download on Redmi's site. If you already have that driver installed and still cannot perform basic functions, then you have a problem with the device itself.

rupeshforu3

Jan 31, 2013
Unfortunately xiomi has placed unnecessary security in redmi note 4.

Sometimes it is impossible to write files to external SD card. Messages are displayed such as "unable to write files to SD card please make changes in documents app".

I have searched web for "documents app redmi note 4" and found it is controlling permissions as rwx(read,write,execute) in Linux.

Sometimes while transferring files from internal storage to SD card in es file explorer the file explorer displays message as described above and after issuing permission to write permission to SD card files transfer is done properly. Sometimes 90℅ of files transfer done properly and for remaining again it asks for permissions.

When the phone switched off and switched on again the same process repeats as illustrated above.

I am requesting you to search and examine "redmi note 4 documents app".

Is there any way to remove such permissions permanently.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Root and install either a mod that removes the permissions or else install a custom ROM that has the permissions removed.

rupeshforu3

Jan 31, 2013
I think that the problem will be resolved if the phone is rooted and by making some changes so that phones internal storage and external SD card are mounted as removable storage media.

The issue is if the phone is rooted warranty is void or not valid.

OK sometimes it works correctly and sometimes not. At present it worked fine so I have copied all the required files.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If it's working correctly "sometimes", you definitely have a hardware issue somewhere. Most likely a buggy cable, though your USB port on the PC could also be a culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.