US(eless) Postal Service!

Tronmech

Apr 2, 2011
I've been communicating back and forth about a tablet return for about 2 weeks now (half of this is my fault for not being able to get to the post office before they close). Well today insult was added to injury. I finally got to the post office with the item packaged for shipping, and the US postal service will not accept for international shipment any electronic devices containing lithium ion batteries.

Apparently I *can* send the tablet via UPS, DHL, or Fedex, and it will "only" cost me something on the far side of $100. Or I can try to disassemble the tablet to remove the battery, which would void the warranty.

2012-07-03%2015.25.04.jpg

Tronmech

Apr 2, 2011
Shipping costs to get a tablet with the lithium batteries still in it back to china are >$100 with ANY US shipper. So, right now it looks like the only economical way to send the unit back for warranty replacement would be to void the warranty. I love getting hosed by catch-22 situations.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
What's the "danger" in shipping lithium batteries, compared to shipping nicad or nimh batteries?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Interesting my post office had no problem accepting my tablet for return, they never said anything about the batteries, cost 17 dollars to mail back to china. I am waiting on mcbub to say they received it and to send me my replacement.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011

Tronmech

Apr 2, 2011
Not all USPS locations are going to question it, but many of them will. If you say that there is a Li-Ion battery, they will charge you.

They won't charge you extra to ship, they flat won't ship. It's the other guys who charge extra.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Unfortunatley, this is how it is.

There were many news articles about it, including this one (which makes it sound like the USPS does not want to support our troops):

USPS To Stop Delivering iPads And Kindles To Troops And Overseas Consumers On May 16 | Fast Company

Not all USPS locations are going to question it, but many of them will. If you say that there is a Li-Ion battery, they will charge you.

I didn't know about this, I guess my post office didn't either, or just forgot to ask me, they gave me a customs form, I wrote down gift, tablet, value $10 dollars, it's broke so not worth much more than that. This does change things though about buying directly from china retailers, seeing this is now the law all post offices will at some point follow it and not accept devices with these batteries, so returns are going to be almost impossible, or at least too high to return the product.