Using a 3G dongle

leftygt

Apr 11, 2012
I got the unlocking codes for a 3G dongle I had for an old contranct so I'm free to use the sim from my Galaxy SII that has an all-you-can-eat data plan, but I'm not sure How I would use it for voice calls if there happened to be incoming calls while it was connected to the Onda? Do I have to install some sort of SoftPhone app?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I'm thinking you may have a problem. If your Onda wasn't designed for 3G, (take a SIM card) to start with that would be your first problem but I have not seen any way to use a SIM card in a tablet that would accept it for anything more than data. Tablets weren't designed to be a phone or to ba bale to be used for voice calls unless it was software based, like Skype or Google voice.

With that said you could go to the Google Store and search for SIP, which is basically a soft phone to see what you come up with based on your location.

Snowghost

Jun 3, 2012
Having similar diffs myself. Having done a bit of research on this, Onda sell what I assume is an Android dongle (unlocked) which they say will work with the Vi40. Similar ones on Amazon are about £30 so going to order one up and see what happens. The other option is Mifi which I believe is a good alternative but more expensive.

imeirson

Jul 6, 2012
I have just received a Huawei 3G modem - E367. When connecting it to the USB port of the Vi40e at V1.2rcOTA tablet it will properly connect to a 3G network and I can properly use the internet.
I did not succeed to use it as a phone as the PHONE and CONTACTS applications are not available on the tablet.
I am not sure about it, but I think that those applications where available on the V0.6 firmware.

leftygt

Apr 11, 2012
Any update on this lads? I unlocked my 3g dongle to take any network and have it working with my laptop once I downloaded the Huawei mobile partner - but I'm assuming I would need a similar program for it to work with the Vi40 Elite? not concerned about the softphone bit - just want it for mobile internet.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Any update on this lads? I unlocked my 3g dongle to take any network and have it working with my laptop once I downloaded the Huawei mobile partner - but I'm assuming I would need a similar program for it to work with the Vi40 Elite? not concerned about the softphone bit - just want it for mobile internet.

So few 3G dongles work on Android your best bet would be to check with the WEB site for Huawei to see what they have to say about compatibility.

leftygt

Apr 11, 2012
So few 3G dongles work on Android your best bet would be to check with the WEB site for Huawei to see what they have to say about compatibility.

Cant find a thing about connecting it to an Onda Leeshor, iis a Huawei E180 - have you any knowledge of them?