Vtab honeycomb not connecting to windows 7 pc

alucard9114

Dec 12, 2011
I have tried for hours to hook my vtab up to my PC (windows 7 32bit) and no luck please help.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Oct 10, 2011
Don't quite know what to tell you. I usually just connect to my net machine which runs XP but have just tried it out with my Acer laptop running 7 Home Premium 64 and everything works just fine. Shows up under Computer as Portable Device VTAB1008 and also shows up under Windows Explore. I have not loaded any special drivers to see the VTAB on either computer. Are you connecting thru a USB hub? Sometimes they can cause problems and certain devices need to connect straight into the computer.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sometimes it isn't even a usb hub but a specific usb port can be a problem too. Try going directly to the pc if you are using a hub and a different usb port on the pc if that doesn't work.

sabotank

Nov 15, 2011
J515OP gave this advise an another thread: Hmm, maybe you can try clearing the device from the device manager on the pc, then plug it back in and see if it is recognized.

for reference, the thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/vizio-tablets/35641-connecting-pc-usb.html

took me a while to figure mine out. go to control panel>system>device manager> and expand usb devices. count them. you should have one usb composite device. right click and check the properties. should be something like: Port_#0004.Hub_#0004. then plug in your vtab and count again. should be two now. check the properties of both and right click>uninstall the one that is not the port you found earlier. it will then reinstall and recognize your vtab.

this dang near kicked my arse...lol...so i hope this helps

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
J515OP gave this advise an another thread: Hmm, maybe you can try clearing the device from the device manager on the pc, then plug it back in and see if it is recognized.

for reference, the thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/vizio-tablets/35641-connecting-pc-usb.html

took me a while to figure mine out. go to control panel>system>device manager> and expand usb devices. count them. you should have one usb composite device. right click and check the properties. should be something like: Port_#0004.Hub_#0004. then plug in your vtab and count again. should be two now. check the properties of both and right click>uninstall the one that is not the port you found earlier. it will then reinstall and recognize your vtab.

this dang near kicked my arse...lol...so i hope this helps

Yes, that is a process and why I didn't write it all out, just pointed in the right direction. Good job on expanding the instructions. The device won't always show up as Vtab in the device manager but you should be able to see it come and go from there. It might also be in more than one entry and you need to clear them all. Part of the reason I didn't want to add more info is because if you don't know what you are doing you can uninstall something you might need (you should be able to get it back though). Needless to say If you don't know what you are doing STOP! Then ask until you do know. Don't randomly remove things from the Decive Manager. (Notice given)

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
I am having similar problems, but trying to connect to a Mac. I can connect to a Mac via adb but cannot get it to mount as a USB storage device. I don't know why this is so.

Edit: It turns out you need the following software on the Mac OS X.
Android.com

Edit 2: What is even neater is that this works even with USB Debugging enabled. You can be connected both via adb and this tool.

Last edited:

wlellis

Dec 23, 2011
I've shared this several times on this forum, but it seems to be hard to find...I had a chat session with Vizio and this is the transcript:

We'll need to manually install the driver for the tablet. Please follow these steps.
>Plug in the tablet to the USB port on your computer and the micro USB port on the tablet.
>On your computer, Click on START, then on COMPUTER
>Click on SYSTEM PROPERTIES
>Click on Device Manager
>You should see the following: Other Devices VTAB1008
>Double click on VTAB1008 with the yellow exclamation point. The box below will pop up
>Click on Update Driver
>Next click on "Browse my computer for driver software"
>Next, click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
>Scroll down on the left window until you get to Portable Devices, highlight it and click next.
>Click once on Standard MTP Device and the right window will populate. Next click on MTP USB Device and click on NEXT (MTP stands for Media Transfer Protocol)
>Click YES to the Update Driver Warning
>When completed, you will be told that Windows has successfully updated the driver.
>Click on Close and you should be returned to Device Manager and now the VTAB1008 will appear under Portable Devices.
>Your computer will likely now pop up with a new drive detected, just as it would if you plugged in a USB Flash drive. Click on "Open device to view files"

It has worked for several folks so far...

j_janicki

Jul 6, 2011
Hey,

You might have more luck if you do NOT power on the vtab until after you plug it into your pc via usb.

I have found this to work fine on multiple windows systems.

Sometimes the easiest way is best.

Cheers!

afrisina

Jul 2, 2012
thank you for the help.. tried all kinds of fixes and yours was the one that worked !!! many thanks again !!!

Rick68

Oct 18, 2012
Found on another board and it worked for me:

If the VIZIO-provided USB drivers were already installed, uninstall them and be sure to also remove the driver files! This will generate a new entry in Device Manager...Other Device...VTAB1008 with a yellow exclamation point!
Right-click VTAB1008 and select "Update Driver Software"...
[FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]Click[/FONT][/FONT] "Browse my computer for driver software"
Click “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer...”
Scroll down in the Manufacturer window (left side) until you get to Portable Devices, highlight it and click next.
Click "Standard MTP Device"
Click "MTP USB Device" in the Model window (right side) and click on NEXT
Click YES to the Update Driver Warning
VTAB1008 should now be listed under Portable Devices

You will then access the tab through the "printers and devices" just right click on the MTD device and choose Browse device (vtab1008) and then you will see both the internal SD storage and the MicroSD card.

Hopes that helps.