What no root! maybe we should "occupy Vizio"

mui

Nov 28, 2011
Maybe we should start an occupy vizio movement. There's lots of things that we could organize. Things like repeat calls to customer service about things we don't like or want. Facebook pages and posts to our FB and blogs about our complaints about a awesome piece of hardware that the manufacturer has left severely handicapped with a bad UI and a sub par "universal remote". I'm also thinking a return your vizio day. I don't mind an excuse to go to Costco.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Take it back,they will gladly give you a refund if it is within 90 days of purchase.
While you are at it why don't you "Occupy the Weather" when it rains on your parade.

OK, now THAT was funny! HEhehehehe

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

mui

Nov 28, 2011
If we want tablets we can root we're going to have to fight for them. There's more to this than just return it if you don't like it.

bkaler

Oct 13, 2011
If we want tablets we can root we're going to have to fight for them. There's more to this than just return it if you don't like it.

returning is the best option, it hits Vizio right in the pocket book, and to the best of my knowledge, none of the companies out there have any support for root access and at best turn a blind eye to any root activity so this isn't a surprise that they did this. People that want root have to be up to date on the latest happenings and be willing to brick a few devices if need be.

mui

Nov 28, 2011
returning is the best option, it hits Vizio right in the pocket book, and to the best of my knowledge, none of the companies out there have any support for root access and at best turn a blind eye to any root activity so this isn't a surprise that they did this. People that want root have to be up to date on the latest happenings and be willing to brick a few devices if need be.
That may be the best option on an individual basis and thats why in the OP I suggested a return your vizio day. On a group level if we did something like this where people where talking about the disadvantages and how the hardware has been hinder by vizio enough They would listen.

southsound

Dec 3, 2011
That may be the best option on an individual basis and thats why in the OP I suggested a return your vizio day. On a group level if we did something like this where people where talking about the disadvantages and how the hardware has been hinder by vizio enough They would listen.
This "return you Vizio day" scheme could work well to stop updates. Think about the economics of what you are suggesting - if we all take our tablets back to our dealers, they ship them back to Vizio and Vizio gives them credit for the returns. Then they have to clean, repackage, or otherwise refurb them and sell them to a firm like Woot. They loose money on every one. Even better, every person who buys one on Woot is taken out of the potential customer pool for a new one that Vizio could ship to a company like Costco or Sams. I'll bet that the losses would add up quickly. Maybe even enough to cause them to lay off a couple of excellent programmers who would be the same ones to write the update code. Maybe such a tactic could even prevent them from offering an upgrade to ICS in the future. Are you sure this is in anyone's best interest? As a customer, I want to see them do well with the product so it can become all that the hardware is capable of supporting.

Rawkfist

Nov 14, 2011
Take it back or stop complaining. Many of us are happy with ours. Do you really need root? I actually like the UI...just because it isn't typical Android doesn't mean its wrong. And why are you complaining about the remote? I see nothing wrong with it. I don't know of another tablet with one.

You obviously have major issues...just take it back and stop being such a whiner. Sorry, but you are.

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
Hey, everyone has a right to complain, to protest or to organize. Rawkfist and Southsound, you can disagree but I think it is inappropriate to label someone a whiner or to tell them to shut up. I agree that the Vtab is a great product with or without root, but Vizio's action to take root away, when it can fix obvious deficiencies in the product, is disappointing. Vizio made the decision that alienating a few users was worth the insurance against bricked tablets caused by ill performed rooting attempts. If their market share suffers, so be it. If you don't like this thread, just don't read it.

southsound

Dec 3, 2011
Hey, everyone has a right to complain, to protest or to organize. Rawkfist and Southsound, you can disagree but I think it is inappropriate to label someone a whiner or to tell them to shut up. /// If you don't like this thread, just don't read it.
First off, I didn't label anyone anything. I don't do that because I respect others and their opinions. I agree with your first line about the right to complain, protest, or organize. I was merely stating that doing so might have some unintended consequences. As to this thread and others - I'm just a new kid on the block with Android so I don't really know much about what to expect. I like my tablet and want Vizio to give it the updates that it needs to become a GREAT tablet. That makes my investment even more worthwhile. Sorry if some took offense to my "dose of economic reality". As a person who spent a great deal of time in the industry and in business I may have some opinions or insight that is not welcome to others.

sabotank

Nov 15, 2011
not sure vizio had much of a choice. read somewhere, prolly here or on vizios twitter, that they have to actively discourage root access for the media side of things. like hulu/netflix. if they want the streaming apps to be compatible and updated for our vtabs this is something they are MADE to do! it's all about the DRM. personally, i see it as it is what it is. i can side load books and video if i really want to have them, so...meh.

mui

Nov 28, 2011
Hey, everyone has a right to complain, to protest or to organize. Rawkfist and Southsound, you can disagree but I think it is inappropriate to label someone a whiner or to tell them to shut up. I agree that the Vtab is a great product with or without root, but Vizio's action to take root away, when it can fix obvious deficiencies in the product, is disappointing. Vizio made the decision that alienating a few users was worth the insurance against bricked tablets caused by ill performed rooting attempts. If their market share suffers, so be it. If you don't like this thread, just don't read it.
I'm guessing that most "ill performed rooting attempts" are caused by the manufactures attempts to block rooting and by locking down the bootloaders.

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
First off, I didn't label anyone anything. I don't do that because I respect others and their opinions. I agree with your first line about the right to complain, protest, or organize. I was merely stating that doing so might have some unintended consequences. As to this thread and others - I'm just a new kid on the block with Android so I don't really know much about what to expect. I like my tablet and want Vizio to give it the updates that it needs to become a GREAT tablet. That makes my investment even more worthwhile. Sorry if some took offense to my "dose of economic reality". As a person who spent a great deal of time in the industry and in business I may have some opinions or insight that is not welcome to others.

Understood. Protests can certainly have unintended consequences. I too hope Vizio does keep updating the product, but the latest update was not an effort to improve it, would you not agree?

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
not sure vizio had much of a choice. read somewhere, prolly here or on vizios twitter, that they have to actively discourage root access for the media side of things. like hulu/netflix. if they want the streaming apps to be compatible and updated for our vtabs this is something they are MADE to do! it's all about the DRM. personally, i see it as it is what it is. i can side load books and video if i really want to have them, so...meh.

DRM battles are as old as the abacus. Not sure that preventing rooting will do much there, but I suppose that there may be something I don't know. From what I recall, we wanted root powers to fix the ad hoc and SD card issues, not to pirate music or videos.

mui

Nov 28, 2011
Take it back or stop complaining. Many of us are happy with ours. Do you really need root? I actually like the UI...just because it isn't typical Android doesn't mean its wrong. And why are you complaining about the remote? I see nothing wrong with it. I don't know of another tablet with one.

You obviously have major issues...just take it back and stop being such a whiner. Sorry, but you are.
Sometime complaining works, most mp3 stores are now drm free because enough people didn't like it, Maybe I should have left the remote out of my post but it comes no near replacing any of my remotes. Maybe if enough people complain instead of firing people they'll hire more to shut us up. It's obvious that Vizio can make a good tablet the problems that keep the vtab from being an even better tablet for the $ aren't limitations of the hardware, there imposed by Vizio for whatever reason. And ics won't fix them.