wi-fi connecting, similar problem with nook before recent update

medic_jajs

Sep 29, 2011
Hey all, just got my tablet today. On a positive the IR works awesome and I was able to set that up within seconds. Also looks beautiful.

However....

I've tried all the steps to connect to wifi, still doesn't connect to my home network. All other laptops and wirelss products work.
My guess is, like the NOOK color that I had problems with very similar to this, a fix was in the update. I'm running 3.1. I haven't gone to another location to try yet but is there anyway to get the update on like an SD card and download from there?
When the tablet is not connected, it shows my SSID at excellent and secured but when I put in my password it goes down to a poor signal or out of range when I'm sitting right by the modem
Any help would be greatful

Last edited:

medic_jajs

Sep 29, 2011
FYI here's what I have tried

power cycling the modems including after any modem changes
cycling the tablet: power and wifi scanning
changed security settings from WEP to WPA tkip and eap (the NOOK had a work around where you good go without security, not an option for me)
changed various channels

medic_jajs

Sep 29, 2011
Currently sitting in BK downloading 3.2 so no issues with wireless. I am afraid as this tablet has been out longer people will have the same issues as I am. I remember the NOOK being a huge headache. Hopefully Sony knows an issue and fixed it in the update. I can only hope.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum

medic_jajs

Sep 29, 2011
Well. I was able to connect through static vs dhcp. I'm not too smart about the finer points of such. Can anyone help me out?

medic_jajs

Sep 29, 2011
That is to say it actually got a connection to my modem but not to the internet

bknight3

Oct 14, 2011
I am not quite tech savvy, but am having the same problems.

Please show the steps on how you remedied this.

P.S. I also try to use hotspots around NYC with the same symptoms.

flycowboy

Oct 10, 2011
First, check the WIFI wireless network is normal, if the wirelessnetwork itself is not working, then we are basically Tablet PCdoes not connect to the network, unless a miracle. Of course, thetest methods are many, the easiest is to use a cell phone oroffice phone to connect WIFI wireless network, to detect the wireless network is normal.
Second, if the normal WIFI wireless network, the followingconditions may also affect the normal reception of the Tablet PCWIFI signal.
1, there is no metal mesh shielding material
2 wireless routers transmit the signal mode, choose to look ateach mode
3 have the wrong password, full-width half-width modeadjustments.
4.WIFI lower right corner of the screen after a successful connection WIFI will be a green sign, there is a green tick, otherwise unreasonable.
5.WIFI lower right corner of the screen after a successful connection WIFI will be a green sign, there is a green tick, suggesting that the UCWEB network fails, the connection may begarbled, use a key to restore function.
Third, if the Tablet PC at home or in the office can connect toWIFI wireless network, but can not connect after changing the local wifi signal. In general, this is because the Tablet PC settingsproduced a conflict with the WIFI settings, check the Tablet PC a static IP settings.

bknight3

Oct 14, 2011
can you go through what you have tried from startup? have you downloaded 3.2?

I do not have 3g or 4g.

I have had one instance of successful connection of my home wifi, but then after 3 min of activity, tablet disconnected and has continually been doing the connect/disconnect issue.

Tablet is currently @ 3.1, trying to find a way to dl 3.2 to a SD card.

medic_jajs

Sep 29, 2011
go to your local bookstore and try and connect through their wifi. use the connection wizard on the sony tablet. if it gets hung up....on what step does it get hung up? if you can connect download the update. let's start there.

bknight3

Oct 14, 2011
go to your local bookstore and try and connect through their wifi. use the connection wizard on the sony tablet. if it gets hung up....on what step does it get hung up? if you can connect download the update. let's start there.

Tried various hotspots... Nothing...

Having trouble finding out to dl android 3.2 onto my computer ( I wish then to upload to SD, then to tablet ), as I am unclear on where the dl url/procedure is.

I will try doing the instructions on this url: Android 3.2 Platform | Android Developers but I am still lost, as I am NOT a developer...

Last edited: