Wi-fi connection problems after Honeycomb

gerryp

Apr 23, 2012
This will be the second time I am doing a hard reset since I purchased my tablet in December 2011 after the Honeycomb update. As of 2 days ago I can no longer connect to my SSID and keep getting an error "incorrect password" or it just scans, autheticates and disables. My wireless router is working fine and have 2 laptops, printer, Wii, Blu-ray and TV all hooked up that seem to all work fine. I did a hard reset again and still have a problem my SSID shows excellent reception (3 bars) but once I try to connect it changes to poor on my tablet.. Can't even connect to my brothers next door like I could before. At this point the tablet is useless without wifi.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
This will be the second time I am doing a hard reset since I purchased my tablet in December 2011 after the Honeycomb update. As of 2 days ago I can no longer connect to my SSID and keep getting an error "incorrect password" or it just scans, autheticates and disables. My wireless router is working fine and have 2 laptops, printer, Wii, Blu-ray and TV all hooked up that seem to all work fine. I did a hard reset again and still have a problem my SSID shows excellent reception (3 bars) but once I try to connect it changes to poor on my tablet.. Can't even connect to my brothers next door like I could before. At this point the tablet is useless without wifi.

I have that exact same problem with my HC VTAB1008 but only at a remote location with an Open Network and I am getting ready to grab some screen captures if or when it does that to me again.

But it seems I don't have to document it now because you have for me so THANKS and I've thanked your post too.

About all I can think of that might be causing my WiFi problem is the place that I can not connect to is only Wireless B.

EDIT: After thinking about it, I've see weird things happen with other Android devices that were fixed by shutting down some of the services so I'll try that if I run into that problem again.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
There are several things it could be. First try unplugging the router for about 15 seconds and then plugging it back in and see if your device connects then. If that doesn't work, see if you can find a firmware update for your router. Nobody thinks about updating their router software but this seems to be a common fix. The last thing to try is changing the encryption you are using. If it is WEP try WPA and visa versa to see if one or the other works.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I've noticed several people have said they had problems when they were "hiding" their SSID and the problems went away after they started broadcasting the SSID. It's false security anyway, anyone wanting to break into your network will find your SSID without any difficulty whether you're "hiding" it or not.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
gerryp said:
As of 2 days ago I can no longer connect to my SSID and keep getting an error "incorrect password" or it just scans, autheticates and disables.

After messing with it today again I can report that on my problem open network it just alternates from connecting to scanning and then after a while it states: "You have entered the wrong password. Please try again."

I tried everything I can think of, removed some services, rebooted and tried "Static" and I get the same routine.

Yep my Vizio HC tablet is worthless here and I had to post this with something else using the same network the Vizio could not connect to.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Roger, have you tired forgetting the open network you are having problems with so you can clear whatever password it thinks it needs?

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
J515OP said:
Roger, have you tired forgetting the open network you are having problems with so you can clear whatever password it thinks it needs?

The "forget" was the very first thing I tried. I will say this too, right after I click on connect it says it is "remembered" but it has never ever connected since the HC update even though I used it with that VTAB when it was GB quite a few times.

And there is no access to a password anywhere and why should there be on a public open network?

BTW I plan to get ahold of Vizio about this to get a second case number where my first case number is because Vizio's special Adobe flash player is ignoring taps.

IndyOne

Mar 12, 2012
I had to un-hide my SSID in order for my VTAB to connect to my wireless after I upgraded to HC.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
IndyOne said:
I had to un-hide my SSID in order for my VTAB to connect to my wireless after I upgraded to HC.

After reading your post I decided I'd try two things.
1. Force an incorrect password.
2. Try to log onto a "hidden" network.

What I found out:

1. When I forced an incorrect password I was notified very fast that something was wrong but when I get the message about an "incorrect passord" when trying to connect to an open network I have to wait for seems to be closer to a minute. Guess I'll have to time it next time.

2. For a few seconds it did not see my "Hidden" (no SSID)network but then tthe next thng I knew was I was connected and I'm even using a "Hidden" network to post this.

Sent from my HC VTAB1008 using Android Tablet

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
At this point the tablet is useless without wifi.

I suggest you call Vizio (number found on Vizio.com) and get a case number for your WiFi problem.

I got a case number for my identical WiFi problem and it is 2457875 and you can reference that number if you want to. I can even tell you the Operator and their ID if you want that too.

It was pretty funny, at first she didn't want to give me a case number because I could connect at home but then I mentioned I know of someone that can not connect at home and this problem started with the Honeycomb update.

Then I mentioned I already have a case number for problems with the Adobe Flash and she said that is a program isn't it. I said yes and it is a program you distributed on your tablet and you should have updated it when you updated the operating system.

Anyway, while a screen identical to the following can be seen by putting the wrong password in, this screen showed up when there was no password involved because I was trying to connect to an "OPEN" network.

$shot_000010.png

EDIT: After getting a second case number I received an e-mail from Vizio about it so I called them and I wanted to find out why I didn't receive an e-mail for my first case number.

The girl was real polite and told me it should have been sent on the 18th. To make a long story short I found it in my SPAM folder but I am still confused why it was sent out on the 18th when my records show I was given my first case number on the 1st. I guess Vizio really didn't take me seriously until I told them I wanted it exchanged.

Last edited:

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
gerryp said:
This will be the second time I am doing a hard reset since I purchased my tablet in December 2011 after the Honeycomb update.

As of 2 days ago I can no longer connect to my SSID and keep getting an error "incorrect password"

I can get that "incorrect password" 3 times out of 3 times in 31 to 33 seconds after I tap on connect with the following steps.

1. Forget network.
2. Shutdown tablet.
3. Turn on tablet.
4. Go into setup etc and say "Connect" and start a stopwatch.
5. Press Home, Browser then tap on OK after it says there is no network and then from 31 to 33 seconds after the stopwatch was started is when it will complain about the password and on a network that does not have a password and never caused any problems when my VTAB was GB.

BTW I plan to add screen shots to this post when I have more time.

Sent from my HC VTAB1008 using Android Tablet

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
See if this helps:

When the asked for my "password" what it really wanted was my encryption "key code".

So I input this instead and wallah, it connected to my wireless network, no problem. I found the "key code" listed in section 5 of the "basic security settings" screen" (which I needed my "password" to access) of the "wireless settings" screen of my router page, i.e. http://192.168.1.1 for my Westell 327W router.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
See if this helps:

But where on the following screen do you input a password?
$shot_000018[1].png

BTW since I have not returned my Costco GB VTAB yet I should take a video that proves that it can connect to the same network.

Plus I took a video of the problems the HC VTAB has with an OPEN network and it might be my first YouTube Video. Stay tuned.

BTW sorry about two private messages but I sent the first one accidentally.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Now worries ;) Good point about the password. It seems like it has to be one of two things. 1. There is something you need to reset or clear on the tablet or 2. There is something you need to reset/clear/update on the router. Other possible solutions include chaning the MAC address filtering in the router or the channel the wifi is on as an over loaded channel may result in what you are seeing.

Have you tried wifi analyzer? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
J515OP said:
Good point about the password. It seems like it has to be one of two things.

Thanks for the input but as the OP (Original Poster) has helped prove whatever it is it is a problem that showed up with the HC update.

And if I have it try to reconnect right after telling it to forget the network the HC VTAB seems to get stuck in an endless loop of scanning and connecting.

Just in case I didn't make it real clear earlier I'll say it here: My VTAB1008 used that exact same WiFi a lot when it was still running GB and after the HC update I have never been able to use that WiFi since.

If Vizio wants me to help them debug their HC update I think they should give me a GB tablet that I can use where their HC tablet fails.

BTW after dealing with Vizio today it is very clear that everybody there is kept from seeing the problems I can demonstrate first hand and they also have to do everything they can to avoid the fact that their HC update was not tested very well especially where the flash player is concerned.

Last edited: