Wi-Fi issues with 3.0.1

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
Just bought my tab last night at Staples. I put it on charge this afternoon. While charging, I tried to set up the wifi. It never connects to my Verizon wireless router.
Appears that it is NOT getting an IP address via DHCP.

This is a brand new tab, with v3.0.1 software.

How do I put a fixed IP in so I can connect to the intenet?

Or, Is the any other fix that is recommended for v 3.0.1 ??

Thanks in advance.

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
It's a Westell A90-750015-07. All my other stuff connect easily....2 iPod touches, 2 laptops, etc. Is there a problem with 3.0.1? Is there a fix?

Where are we going with this? I'd like to use a temporary static IP so I can download the update and then have real wi-fi issues with 3.1 LOL.

androidnewb

Jun 22, 2011
You can go to the us.acer.com website and download the patch and run it if you want, I was just trying to help make sure you weren't having a hardware compatibility issue. :)

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
Ok, thanks.

I have downloaded the patch to my PC. It is a zip file.

Will this patch upgrade my software to v 3.1?

1. Do I unzip it?
2. Can I use the a usb cable from pc to tab?
3. Can I use a usb jump stick or microSD card.
4. How do I enable the patch to do the upgrade?

lded21

Jul 2, 2011
Patch isnt working for me. I think i got a corrupted 3.1 sor something get the android dude with explanation point in yellow triangle thats all..... Going to redownload another one to see if maybe that patch wasnt good....

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
Does anyone know the step by step procedure to assign a static IP address to the Tab?

androidnewb

Jun 22, 2011
Ok, thanks.

I have downloaded the patch to my PC. It is a zip file. Will this patch upgrade my software to v 3.1?

1. Do I unzip it?
2. Can I use the a usb cable from pc to tab?
3. Can I use a usb jump stick or microSD card.
4. How do I enable the patch to do the upgrade?

This is just a patch to resolve the WIFI issue so you can have a good connection to download the 3.1 update.

Download and install the workaround patch
Note: A microSD card is required to perform these steps.
  1. In your Internet browser of choice, navigate to our Acer Product Support page.
  2. In the Select Your Product section, click the icon that represents your product.
  3. A new window will pop-up. In the Select Line section, choose the line that represents your product link.
  4. In the Select Model section, choose the model that represents your product.
  5. In the Operating System pull down, select Android 3.1 Honeycomb.
  6. Navigate to the Patch tab and download the Acer ICONIA TAB A500 'connect Wi-Fi unsuccessfully' patch.
  7. Unzip the file you downloaded to your hard drive. A pdf file and an update.zip will be extracted Do not unzip the Update.zip file.
  8. Format your microSD card using a FAT or FAT32 format.
  9. Copy Update.zip to the empty microSD card.
  10. Ensure the tablet’s battery is fully charged.
  11. Power off your A500 tablet.
  12. Insert the microSD card into the A500 tablet.
  13. Press and hold the "Volume Down" key (closest to the Power key) then press and hold the "Power" key.
  14. Once the "Power" key white LED turns on, release "Power" key but still hold "Volume Down" key.
  15. The Acer screen will appear and the tablet will vibrate. Do not release "Volume Down" key until an "Erasing cache before SD update..." message appears in the upper left corner of the screen.
  16. The patch is installed within a few seconds.
  17. The A500 will automatically reboot when it is complete.
  18. To complete the patch installation process, disable and then re-enable WiFi.

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
Thanks for the clear instructions. I will try a Factory Reset first, and if that doesn't work will try the patch.
But, I thought this patch was for v3.1 wi-fi issues. I did not know that it would work for V 3.0.1 wi-fi issues

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
This is just a patch to resolve the WIFI issue so you can have a good connection to download the 3.1 update.

Download and install the workaround patch
Note: A microSD card is required to perform these steps.
  1. In your Internet browser of choice, navigate to our Acer Product Support page.
  2. In the Select Your Product section, click the icon that represents your product.
  3. A new window will pop-up. In the Select Line section, choose the line that represents your product link.
  4. In the Select Model section, choose the model that represents your product.
  5. In the Operating System pull down, select Android 3.1 Honeycomb.
  6. Navigate to the Patch tab and download the Acer ICONIA TAB A500 'connect Wi-Fi unsuccessfully' patch.
  7. Unzip the file you downloaded to your hard drive. A pdf file and an update.zip will be extracted Do not unzip the Update.zip file.
  8. Format your microSD card using a FAT or FAT32 format.
  9. Copy Update.zip to the empty microSD card.
  10. Ensure the tablet’s battery is fully charged.
  11. Power off your A500 tablet.
  12. Insert the microSD card into the A500 tablet.
  13. Press and hold the "Volume Down" key (closest to the Power key) then press and hold the "Power" key.
  14. Once the "Power" key white LED turns on, release "Power" key but still hold "Volume Down" key.
  15. The Acer screen will appear and the tablet will vibrate. Do not release "Volume Down" key until an "Erasing cache before SD update..." message appears in the upper left corner of the screen.
  16. The patch is installed within a few seconds.
  17. The A500 will automatically reboot when it is complete.
  18. To complete the patch installation process, disable and then re-enable WiFi.

I have download the patch and pdf. After carefully reading the pdf several times, it is not clear to me that this patch is meant to
work on v 3.0.1 OS. It is clear that it is meant to work on the v 3.1 OS.

Does anyone know for sure that this patch will work on any version OS? Especially v 3.0.1 ??

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
You are exactly correct. The patch is a patch to 3.1 and will not work with 3.0.1.

You pretty much have to wait for the full OTA 3.1 FIRST before this patch is applied.

This patch fixes a problem that does not exist in 3.0.1.

Last edited:

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
Problem solved.

I tried the Factory Reset from the settings menu. It took a few minutes to reset and reboot. A s soon as I went to the Wi-Fi settings, it found my router, got great signal strength, and was asked for my password. It then connected immediately.

I then went to settings, and looked for any updates. It found the latest update, so I downloaded and installed OS v3.1. It took about 1 hour to complete the download and installation. My tab works great now. I could not be more pleased with it.

Many thanks to all on this forum and elsewhere who contributed the suggest and advice.