Wifi after 3.1 Update

3.1 is Creating Issues

• Total voters

suade907

Apr 27, 2011
use a paperclip and reset it on the side while searching for your wifi. It will work when it reboots. I believe there is a issue when switching networks. They are working on a fix.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Is your wifi working after 3.1 update? Because mine is not working.:mad:

I got an update a couple of days ago and there is an additional process that is on my tablet called "Fixwifi." So I can only guess that you would receive the update very soon and things should get fixed. But still, try the following:
1 paperclip trick as mentioned above
2 Disable wifi for 10 seconds and reactivate
3 Tell the tablet to forget the connection if it is saved, then reenter password.
4 tap on the connection and tell it to connect

All but #1 (havent tried) have worked with me before the update.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

androidnewb

Jun 22, 2011
You can download a wireless patch from the us.acer.com (http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers) or acer.ca (Download) site. It is a zip file so you'll have to download it on another computer and put it on a micro-SD card looking at the instructions that come with it. Here is the direct link to the file to download, if you want to save a few clicks: http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Patch/Patch/Patch_Acer_1.0_A31H_A.zip?acerid=634466676518377383&Step1=Tablet&Step2=ICONIA TAB&Step3=A500&OS=a07&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_4

Last edited:

tvdinner

Jun 24, 2011
You can download a wireless patch from the us.acer.com (Download) or acer.ca (Download) site. It is a zip file so you'll have to download it on another computer and put it on a micro-SD card looking at the instructions that come with it. Here is the direct link to the file to download, if you want to save a few clicks: http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Patch/Patch/Patch_Acer_1.0_A31H_A.zip?acerid=634466676518377383&Step1=Tablet&Step2=ICONIA TAB&Step3=A500&OS=a07&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_4

Question about this one please. I downloaded patch and followed directions exactly - put zip file they said on thumb drive did all steps on tablet.
I see the android robot cartoon start the show the process and then I get a an image of the android robot with an exclamation point in a triangle on it's chest. Obviously something needs attention but no message or info on what is not working. I then have to hold the power button for a few seconds to get tablet to shut off and then do again to turn on. I am not sure if the patch installed or not.

Is there a way to check?

androidnewb

Jun 22, 2011
Here are the instructions I found (not sure if these are the ones you got):

Download and install the workaround patch
Note: A microSD card is required to perform these steps.
  1. In your Internet browser of choice, navigate to our Acer Product Support page.
  2. In the Select Your Product section, click the icon that represents your product.
  3. A new window will pop-up. In the Select Line section, choose the line that represents your product link.
  4. In the Select Model section, choose the model that represents your product.
  5. In the Operating System pull down, select Android 3.1 Honeycomb.
  6. Navigate to the Patch tab and download the Acer ICONIA TAB A500 'connect Wi-Fi unsuccessfully' patch.
  7. Unzip the file you downloaded to your hard drive. A pdf file and an update.zip will be extracted Do not unzip the Update.zip file.
  8. Format your microSD card using a FAT or FAT32 format.
  9. Copy Update.zip to the empty microSD card.
  10. Ensure the tablet’s battery is fully charged.
  11. Power off your A500 tablet.
  12. Insert the microSD card into the A500 tablet.
  13. Press and hold the "Volume Down" key (closest to the Power key) then press and hold the "Power" key.
  14. Once the "Power" key white LED turns on, release "Power" key but still hold "Volume Down" key.
  15. The Acer screen will appear and the tablet will vibrate. Do not release "Volume Down" key until an "Erasing cache before SD update..." message appears in the upper left corner of the screen.
  16. The patch is installed within a few seconds.
  17. The A500 will automatically reboot when it is complete.
  18. To complete the patch installation process, disable and then re-enable WiFi.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Question about this one please. I downloaded patch and followed directions exactly - put zip file they said on thumb drive did all steps on tablet.
I see the android robot cartoon start the show the process and then I get a an image of the android robot with an exclamation point in a triangle on it's chest. Obviously something needs attention but no message or info on what is not working. I then have to hold the power button for a few seconds to get tablet to shut off and then do again to turn on. I am not sure if the patch installed or not.

Is there a way to check?

Certainly there is a way to check.
The directions on how to check were in the ZIP file as a pdf. Go read the pdf.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Note to people downloading the patch:

The exact patch you get depends on a number of things, so the best bet is to drill down via the Acer Support web site to find the exact file.

Note that the link shown here (obfuscated with hxxp to prevent the Forum from shortening it) differs in the last few characters from the one posted above.

hXXP://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Patch/Patch/Patch_Acer_1.0_A31H_A.zip?acerid=634466676518377383&Step1=Tablet&Step2=ICONIA%20TAB&Step3=A500&OS=a07&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_6

So use your web browser to find the exact link.
(Chances are you can use what I've posted (provided you fix it) if you are in the USA.

JNS2012

Aug 3, 2011
I have had exactly the same result as this - have tried the upgrade three times with the same 'robot with exclamation mark' result. Have used paper clip and done all the pdf instructions. I note that my build number is _500_4.010.41 which differs from that mentioned in the pdf. Is there a different upgrade for this?

Is there a way to check?

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
Thanks for this information, will do this on my A500.

1roifk.gif

f1ddy

Jul 20, 2011
when i switch wifi networks that are already paired i just reset the router n reconnect agen

whitegoose

May 21, 2011
My work wifi stopped working as soon as i went to 3.1, and none of the remedies that have worked for others have worked for me. It sucks because up until 3.1 i was using my tab at work and now i really can't