Window (YuanDao) N101 Review

Discussion in 'Android Tablet Reviews' started by didobuy, Oct 24, 2012.

1. didobuy

didobuy Member

Tablet / Device:
    Momo 11
    View attachment 8638 View attachment 8639
    The Window N101; we think the best way to review this tablet is to compare it to something similar, like the Pipo Max M1. Both are around the same price and both have similar specs but perhaps the first thing you’ll notice is the in-built memory. You get 32GB of storage space straight out the box, so no need to spend extra on an SD card.
    The specs from there on in are top of the range for a Chinese import tablet today (oct, 2012). The screen is right up there in clarity and definition as well which always makes the tablet feel good quality and a real alternative to the leading brands.

The model we tested here, built on the 08[SUP]th[/SUP] of October 2012, has firmware capable of handling most apps, the only unusual trouble spots were twitter and ITV Player being website only.

We are really struggling to fault this tablet, which according to most sites is a ‘hot sell’. We can see why. Even the most enthusiastic 4 year old couldn’t button-bash this to a standstill.

Perhaps hiding the HDMI, SD and USB ports behind a little pseudo case is annoying, but that’s it. It comes well packaged and equipped, all the cables and leads, looks good, runs really well and got a really good score with AnTuTu benchmark:

$n101result.png

Overall we rate the tablet very highly, its competitively priced and there’s there no need to buy additional memory for it. Never heard of the Window/YuanDao brand before this tablet so we were surprised it performed as well as Cube/Ainol/Pipo etc.
    Here’s the specs:

Spec
    ModelWindow N101
    Operating System4.1.1
    Display10.1 inch IPS Capacitive screen
    Resolution1280 x 752 px
    CPUCortex-A9 dual-core 1.6GHz
    GPUMali 400
    RAM1GB DDR3
    ROM32GB
    Cameradual cameras, front 2.0, back 2.0
    WiFi802.11 b/g/n
    3Gvia Dongle
    MicrophoneYes
    G-sensorYes
    BluetoothYes
    HDMIYes
    GPSNo
    FlashFlash 11
    Android MarketYes
    3D GamingYes
    Connectivity
    To PCvia USB (Micro Type B)
    To 3G Donglevia USB OTG
    To HD Devicevia HDMI Mini Cable
    To External Storagevia USB (Micro Type B)
    Power
    Battery
    7200mAh
    Working Time5 Hours
    Power DeviceAC Adapter
    Appearance
    ColorBlack/White
    Dimensions255 x 168 x 9.9mm
    Net Weight635g
    Aditional Info
    Ports1 x DC Jack
    1 x Micro USB (Type B)
    1 x Earphone Jack
    1 x Micro SD Card Slot
    1 x HDMI Mini
    What's in the box1 x Tablet PC
    1 x AC Charger
    1 x Micro USB Cable (Type B)
    1 x User Manual
    1 x USB OTG Cable
    1 x Earphones

Here’s the apps (our version was :

App
    Google Play storeINSTALLED
    Google MapsINSTALLED
    YoutubeYES
    FacebookYES
    SkypeYES
    TwitterWEBSITE
    WhatsappNO
    MSNYES
    ViberNO
    TangoYES
    iPlayer/BBC MediaYES
    SkyGoNO
    ITV PlayerWEBSITE
    4odWEBSITE
    NetflixYES
    TV CatchupYES
    Angry BirdsYES
    eBayYES

Here's the listing: Window (YuanDao) N101 10.1" Tablet PC Android 4.1, Cortex A9 Dual Core 1.6GHz, 32GB - Android Tablet

• Like Like x 4
  2. Skakaberg

Skakaberg Member

Tablet / Device:
    N101
    I have ordered one of these today from your link.. it looks very promising. will let you know how I get on.

:D

3. didobuy

didobuy Member

Tablet / Device:
    Momo 11
    Oh yeh I can see your order just came through. It will be dispatched tomorrow ill make sure :) thanks.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

4. Skakaberg

Skakaberg Member

Tablet / Device:
    N101
    One quick question if I may. your website description suggests it is version 2 although it does not spefifically state this. Can you confirm this is the N101 version 2?

Regards

• Like Like x 2
  5. didobuy

didobuy Member

Tablet / Device:
    Momo 11
    Yeh it has "N101 dual core (in chinese) II" on the back; the "II" meaning version 2. Ill update the listing to include this. Thanks

6. Malcoll

Malcoll Member

Nice one with this price.

7. Skakaberg

Skakaberg Member

Tablet / Device:
    N101
    Product arrived this morning. I had a quick play with it and I have to say I am very impressed. Screen is bright and responsive and the new speaker loud and clear. I will have a more in depth look at it tonight when I get home but this looks like the bargain of the century.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Skakaberg

Skakaberg Member

Tablet / Device:
    N101
    Two of my friends are so impressed with this tablet they have also ordered with you :D

• Like Like x 2
  9. PAnick

PAnick Member

Tablet / Device:
    Not Yet
    Can you add a GPS antenna to this tablet ? thx

10. didobuy

didobuy Member

Tablet / Device:
    Momo 11
    Honestly, we're not sure. We don't sell the GPS antennas so we can't really test it out and see. Sorry its not much help. We will try and get hold of one and test it. We sell a couple of tablets with built-in GPS if you need it:

FREELANDER PD20 GPS 7 INCH CAPACITIVE 1.2GHz CPU ANDROID 4.0 TABLET PC - This one also comes with the suction cup for car windscreens

11. Skakaberg

Skakaberg Member

Tablet / Device:
    N101
    There are reviews on the internet of this tablet being used with a 3G dongle via the ~OTG USB slot with no issues. on a side note can anyone tell me if the verion II is any bigger then the original one? I have ordered a case and it does not fit.

12. JimboX

JimboX Member

Tablet / Device:
    Window N90, Nexus 7
    Hi, I was looking for a RK3066 tablet, and I was so impressed by this review that I've just ordered mine from Didobuy too (and joined the forum :D). I had a N90 before, ordered from China - it was pretty well built and had a good IPS screen (when it eventually arrived) - but it was slow in comparison to today's tablets, and battery drain from the single core chip was bad even on standby.

Looking forward to getting the N101 II ...

13. JimboX

JimboX Member

Tablet / Device:
    Window N90, Nexus 7
    Window N101 II arrived quickly (thanks Didobuy - great service) - first impressions are great build quality, excellent screen. It's not quite as fast as my Nexus 7, but it's certainly no slouch either. Plays games like Shadowgun well. WiFi signal excellent, local English UK setup with the Chinese apps disabled. It's also not as heavy as I would expect for a 10.1" ... so far, I'd highly recommend it.

The only thing is that I've been unable to root it - I've tried the two methods posted elsewhere to no avail. Superoneclick notes that the tablet appears to be rooted already (it isn't) and although the process completes and says it's successful, the tablet's not rooted on re-boot.

I'd like to get it rooted to install things like AdFree, and remove (rather than disable) the Chinese apps.

Anybody got any ideas? ... Thanks in advance :D

Edit: Here's the log from 'one of' the rooting tools - they all have the same issue with modifying the contents of the /system/app directory -

(I know it's the wrong section - I'll pop a new thread in the appropriate one.)

Another Edit!

N101 II is now rooted. Ran the above script a couple of times (same errors as above), then manually installed Superuser from Google play, re-booted, and it is now rooted. Possibly someone with better knowledge of Android will know what the issue is - but I'm just glad I got SU access - all the Chinese apps now uninstalled, AdFree installed and hosts file updated. Great!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  14. pudaniel

pudaniel Member

Tablet / Device:
    Coby 7015
    I've been looking for a good tablet under $250 that has some power, memory and easy to access aps (google play) for my wife. I've gone through 3 Models of Craig Kyros Tables and was dissatisfied with all. I've been keeping an eye on this WEB site (Free Shipping China Electronics Wholesale - Direct Dropship Electronics From China) where I bought a great 10" DVD player. Last month I found this Tablet and it was $209 + shipping ($32+). When I got it in I was impressed with all functions. The only Issues I've had are The Chinese manual (users guide) and some of the Chinese language programs. Once I went in and set language to English and removed the Chinese language programs I was able load all my wife's email, facebook and game apps.

15. jaidevs

jaidevs Member

This seems quite good Android tab.