Working apps for Nook Color

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
App: Cool Reader

For everyone looking for something outside Nook Books and Kindle E-Reader

From the opening of the app, it doesn’t look very impressive, just a simple display of the files/folders on your sdcard. The true beauty of Cool Reader is when you actually open a book up. It supports epub (non-DRM), fb2, txt, rtf, html, chm, tcr formats. It has page turn animations, can change between pages view and scroll, and supports additional .ttf fonts. Not only can you change the background and text color (for day/night mode as well as general eye strain prevention) you can use any one of the many installed textures in both day and night mode, with the availability of adding additional textures to your sdcard.

Some of the settings allow you to adjust the brightness setting with just the flick of your finger along the left edge, line resizing, margin adjustments, and so much more.

If you are a serious e-book reader, you should really check out Cool Reader, I don’t think you will disappointed.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
^ I think that's also an particularly timely suggestion for those who want to spend more time using Honeycomb, where there isn't the option to use the built-in B&N reader.

-Mat

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I guess so most probably they require flash even on yahoomail I can't download any attachments like doc or pdf's when I downloaded those files I can't view them...

You should be able to view pdfs and docs. I think you to download quick office.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
App: Cool Reader

I would like to offer up fbReader. Does all the same things really, and now has a sister app called fbSync. Which allows you to sync bookmarks and places between devices. I have an android phone and my nook. I have db on both and can read the same book on both. Sync keeps my place as i switch back and forth.

Plus all free.

this post brought to you by AndroidTablets.net app

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
For anyone interested, the F1 app seems to work well so far (only in demo mode so far as the season doesn't start until next month).
What does this mean? It means that my two favourite pastimes, F1 and the NC, work very well together.

:)

Joeff

Feb 1, 2011
You should be able to view pdfs and docs. I think you to download quick office.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I have the latest QuickOffice app installed but still didn't work on the attached file from my email (yahoo). It has to do with the flash I guess

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
Is there a way to tell if an app is going to work with no Wifi after downloading it, besides with trail and error by testing each app with Wifi turned off? We camp in the Rocky Mountains in the summer and have no Wifi or 3G.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
@CLSmith When in the market, look at the permissions for the app and see what it is asking to do.

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
Is there a way to tell if an app is going to work with no Wifi after downloading it, besides with trail and error by testing each app with Wifi turned off? We camp in the Rocky Mountains in the summer and have no Wifi or 3G.

@CLSmith When in the market, look at the permissions for the app and see what it is asking to do.

TY Can you also tell me where to look on the apps that I've already downloaded? And What premission I'm I looking for?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
In NookColor Tools, go to All Settings >>>Manage Applications

Tap the app and at the bottom of the screen it will show you the permissions for that app.

You need to look in Network communications category under the permissions...if it doesn't have Network comms, then its a real safe bet that it won't need wifi at all...and even if it does have Network comms, you have to think how that app would be using those permissions (Facebook app is a sure bet to need wifi, but the game Paper Toss would only need it if I wanted to post my high score...but both say they want full network access)