Would like help to root Neo Pad 8650

Rastarn

Sep 30, 2011
Hi All,

I have one of the 7" tablets sold in Australia under the brand name Neo Pad.

Brand: Neo Pad
Model No: NEOPAD8650 (Device reports as WonderMedia WM8650)
Available at: http://www.oo.com.au...P91175C5993.cfm

CPU: ARM926EJ-S rev 5 (v51)
BogoMIPS: 299.00
Memory: 512Mb (site says 2GB but it's obviously only if you get it with a 2Gb MicroSD Card)
Screen: Resistive (2 finger multi-touch) 7" running at 480 x 800
Green Power LED
Vibrates on Startup
Power, Black Headphone, slot for USB x 2/ RJ45 Ethernet Extender and MicroSD slot at bottom as well as two speaker holes
(attached pictures show position as well as, Menu, Vol +/- buttons on right side, Power on top, reset on left and back button on front.)
WI-FI
NO GPS
NO 3G inbuilt (but 3G USB dongle ready)
Accepts up to 32Gb MicroSD

Running: Android 2.2 (Kernel 2.6.32.9-default) Build number: generic-eng 2.2 Froyo v1.2.3-20110414.152957

I would greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide in helping me root this device.

Cheers,
Rastarn

$IMAG0018.jpg$IMAG0019.jpg$IMAG0020.jpg$IMAG0021.jpg$IMAG0022.jpg

Rastarn

Sep 30, 2011
Hi DanU,

Thanks for the response. Tried Z4Root and got nowhere as it keeps inhsisting that USB Debugging be enabled (and it is) although it was interesting to note that Z4Root said that there was already an su binary on the device. Z4Root is pretty old though and this is a fairly new device. Any other ideas?

(apologies for taking a little while to respond - the wife went into hospital unexpectedly)

Rastarn

Sep 30, 2011
Decided to take a chance and after a few aborted attempts, Uberoid v9.7 option 12 has worked beautifully for this unit. Works a treat! :D

aussie

Oct 15, 2011
Hey Rustarn, I’m in WA. I have just purchased the neopad 1050 from the same online site as you, and am having some problems setting it up; maybe you can give me some hints.
I have a connectivity problem; I have setup the wireless connection and the pad sees it and shows the Wi-Fi is connected, but I can’t browse. It’s not the wireless router as I configured my HTC phone as a test and it connected immediately and I could browse the web. Any tips on how to get my head around this and any other problems I may have, will be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Kev.
P.S .
I have just acquired a signal, I may have been too close tothe router and because I had the pad laying flat in front of the router, it may have been under the signal waves. It has only logged onto the net and I had a home page, but now it says any web page I try is not available. It has 4 bars of signal but still no connectivity.

this is frustrating

Last edited:

thinker12

Nov 20, 2011
Indeed me too, shouting out to Rastarn to post a little more info on the upgrade process. I got a copy of the ROM you used, flashed it however am currently sitting at the buzzie bee buzzing his wings and has been there for some time. Any ideas? Did yours take forever? Judging by your pictures, I have the same unit as you so I wonder did you mod the ROM in any way, and text mods etc or did it work, straight up option 12 no problems? Any help would be appreciated oh successful one!

thelozman

Dec 8, 2011
Decided to take a chance and after a few aborted attempts, Uberoid v9.7 option 12 has worked beautifully for this unit. Works a treat! :D

hi just wanted to know a web link for download for Uberoid v9.7? Thanks for your help!

Polygirl005

Feb 28, 2012
I bought a Neopad 8650 in March. After reading all the forums my son and I found all the info and details to install a modern unlocked Operating System - this model is a WM8650 (Wonder Media) on the Techknow.toxic website, you will need to sign up to access the details Universal Uberoid WM8650 1.5.5 HoneyCombMOD v10.1 and there are lots of models in this file. After lots of testing we found that file No: 30 was the right one for my unit. Follow all the instructions very carefully, formatting your SD card etc. I had tried on my own, installing over a dozen different options one after the other, so when my son took over it was good to have someone to check you are doing everything right if you are not a total IT afficionado. This is worth the perserverance and the effort as I now have a fantastic fully operational tablet that does absolutely everything and the apps market is now totally available to me, i.e. no longer locked to the Chinese app market on the original OS which had nothing of value IMHO. I am happy to answer questions if anyone else is needing guidance.

kazrose

Aug 21, 2012
Hi all I recently purchased a Neopad8650. The tablet came pre-loaded with the market place, facebook & utube. I have set up the wi-fi and the device has a signal.
I set up my gmail with no problems.I even added my hotmail account, but when i attempt to log into my facebook & ebay it says " An error occured while signing in. Please try again later".
Can anyone shed some light on this problem for me.... Starting to get super frustrated with this. Did I buy a crap device.

PS I'm not techical so please any answers u have can u make them in plan english.

Cheers in Advance.