$25 Discount Coupon in the Mail for Nook Color

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
As B&N member, I got this in the mail today, so if that applies to you, and you are thinking about getting one (or another), watch your mailbox....

It states it can be used once for EACH membership.

Good until June 20 (Father's Day timing I guess ;) )

HTH

P.S.: Hmmm - wonder if this is a precursor to a model upgrade?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
As B&N member, I got this in the mail today, so if that applies to you, and you are thinking about getting one (or another), watch your mailbox....

It states it can be used once for EACH membership.

Good until June 20 (Father's Day timing I guess ;) )

HTH

P.S.: Hmmm - wonder if this is a precursor to a model upgrade?

Oh gosh don't even get the rumors started ;) I wonder if you can apply that discount to a refurb?

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Oh gosh don't even get the rumors started ;) I wonder if you can apply that discount to a refurb?

As I read the "fine print" it seems to exclude about everything except the NC itself, much like their standard coupons exclude about everything (including Nooks) except books. So I guess I could see if an online refurb NC purchase would be possible since it does specifically allow bn.com usage (presumably for a new NC, but maybe refurb, too...).

Then again, maybe not - I was tempted to check out the NC at the local store display "one more time" (I keep dithering about it), but tonight it occurred to me to check the night reading mode, and was turned off by how much light is still glaring through. The "black" background I can usually get with reader software (including the Nook app) on about any other Android tablet (or even my WinMo Imagio phone with Freda) is not even close on the NC - its attempt is a rather brightly glowing dark grey, and still pretty bright even in the store. If I dim the backlighting, the the letters get just as faint as the background to have light grey on dark grey effect, so not much contrast.

Despite all the Android hacking fun the NC offers, the ultimate use for reading is still something I require to feel justified in getting it. RATS!

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I haven't received anything on that yet. I wonder if it's for B&N members who don't own a Nook.

Sep 24, 2010
I have a B&N NOOK Color and didn't get any email offer. :(

EDIT:
Was it email or snail mail offer?

Last edited:

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Help me decide about this purchase, y'all: If I apply the CM7 tablet-izing process, and install standard Android ereaders such as Nook, FBreader, Aldiiko, etc, will I be able to set the night mode to fully black (without bleed-through of the backlight, which seems particularly strong on the NC)??

Now that it seems the Bluetooth support is solid in CyanogenMod for GPS (and keyboards?), this gets much more appealing to me in overcoming a long-standing shortcoming that was holding me back (although the size and weight are still concerns considering that my Nokia N810 and dying Archos 5 are my benchmarks in that regard).

TIA

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
[Answering question of whether the coupon could be applied to a refurb - guess I hit "quote" for the posting above (mine)]

Checkout for a refurb ("certified pre-owned" to use B&N's term) would not allow me to apply the coupon: "ineligible". So I canceled the order.

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I just received 2 emails from B&N stating that if I join the club I'll be able to save $25.00 on an NC. Just owning an NC isn't enough. You can also save $10.00 on the regular Nook.

Last edited:

Asmodeus

Apr 12, 2011
Help me decide about this purchase, y'all: If I apply the CM7 tablet-izing process, and install standard Android ereaders such as Nook, FBreader, Aldiiko, etc, will I be able to set the night mode to fully black (without bleed-through of the backlight, which seems particularly strong on the NC)??

Now that it seems the Bluetooth support is solid in CyanogenMod for GPS (and keyboards?), this gets much more appealing to me in overcoming a long-standing shortcoming that was holding me back (although the size and weight are still concerns considering that my Nokia N810 and dying Archos 5 are my benchmarks in that regard).

TIA

I use Aldiko on a somewhat modifed NC. When using the Night setting there is little to no backlight bleedthrough. That's important because if I'm using that function it means I'm reading in bed and trying not to wake my fiancee, which extra light will do.