3.2 Invalid Update

rkka93

May 5, 2011
I had this a few times and a re-boot didn't help. I noticed though that my screen was turning off and locking while I waited for it to download. When I unlocked the screen, it appeared the download had paused. I saw a post back for the July update where someone suggested you look at the Wifi settings to make sure it didn't disconnect as the file may get corrupt. Mine was set to never disconnect, but in the off chance the screen turning off caused an issue, when I downloaded it the last time I made sure the screen didn't turn off. When I did that, I got the update to work.

Not sure if that was the cause, but thought I'd share in case it helps someone.

koorpen

Jun 12, 2011
Ya Think?!!??

Come on!

You HAD to know when you updated the kernel that this was going to happen. Why act so surprised?
Thanks for your kind and understandable answer. OK, I`ll go back to the default kernel. No big deal ya. And you can´t know everything, that´s one of the main reason I`m in this forum.
Got it.

Last edited:

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
Yeah registered all three tabs the same day. The solution to the problem is to do a Cache clear and a full reset. After this no problem - my daughter's tab updated fine.

We have 3 Acer 500's (NOT Rooted) in our family, two of them got the updates without any problems.

However, the third unit is NOT able to complete the update. I hate to perform a factory (hard) re-set on it, as this unit has many apps installed, and is with my non tech Mom who is out of state.

Any suggestions short of doing a factory re-set would be greatly appreciated. BTW,
what is a Cache clear and hos is this done????

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
We have 3 Acer 500's (NOT Rooted) in our family, two of them got the updates without any problems.

However, the third unit is NOT able to complete the update. I hate to perform a factory (hard) re-set on it, as this unit has many apps installed, and is with my non tech Mom who is out of state.

Any suggestions short of doing a factory re-set would be greatly appreciated. BTW,
what is a Cache clear and hos is this done????

Tried downloading the 3.2 upgrade again, and made it a point to have the Acer fully charged, connected to the charger, and in close proximity to the wireless router. The download was successful, and the file unzipped ok and the installation proceeded smoothly as expected.

Dec 26, 2011
Got a new Acer A500 Iconia for Christmas, have not rooted it, everything worked fine until this 4.010.41 update, which will not unzip properly, even if the download bar doesn't freeze when it completes, which isn't always. I've downloaded it about 10 times now at least. Not one has worked. Seems factory reset only works for some. Well I can't lose all my apps and settings over an update. Since the problem occurs during unzipping I believe the problem lies in the file itself. I have no running apps when I try it.

Any advice?

Dec 26, 2011
Ok so it went through on like the 15th try or something silly. I woke up at 1pm GMT and noticed the download speed was triple what I'd been getting the previous evening. I put this down to a largely slumbering american continent. As it began to unzip I crossed my fingers, took the tab to my hub for maximum wifi signal and lo and behold it finally unzipped properly. While I did have the device in portrait mode like some have suggested, it failed many times before in both orientations so I dont think it was related. Seems sheer dogged persistence is the key.

Most of this problem would have been solved if you didn't have to re-download 350mb every time it fails to install? Where's the logic behind that? 15 tries = 5.25 GB of my broadband allowance; thanks Acer!