A Large Problem...

SpawnHyuuga

Feb 1, 2011
I most recently created my last and first thread on getting back the Gallery app on my Coby Kyros MID7005. I tried using the update.zip, which I was pretty sure wouldn't work because it's for the MID7015.

Because I'm an idiot, I never once considered before rooting my tablet to make a backup image of my system, the boot, etc.

Now my tablet is just completely bricked.

I can turn it on and access the COBY logo, and I can get into Clockwork Mod Recovery, is there any way to get this thing back with a firmware copy? I've googled for several days at a time - hoping someone would start a website with default firmware images for idiots like myself.

I used to consider myself a technological adept, but I have a lot to learn...

I've heard something of this "fastboot" - is there a guide to it, or does it apply to the situation I'm in?

Needed: STOCK Coby Kyros MID7005 Firmware

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
If someone could get you a copy of a clockwork backup directory you could just restore that and fix the tablet.

SpawnHyuuga

Feb 1, 2011
I don't think I ever made a clockwork backup directory myself, but would anyone else have it or is that what you're talking about? xD

Yeah I have a MicroSD, 8 GB actually; so if someone can do that, I would be eternally grateful. I can make the trip back to the retailer, but it's not like walking distance and I'm a teen who can't drive alone yet. >.>

I've got a question. If someone had a Clockwork Backup with the Google Experience, could one restore that backup and have the Google Experience. That would be the best option, but even just a eclair vanilla backup would be nice.

Sir Robin

Jan 22, 2011
I don't know how much of my personal information is on any of my back-ups but I may check. Have you tried loading the kyros update zip from Cobyusa onto your sd then using clockwork to install fro zip? I don't know if the update would be the whole operating system or not. Not quite as ethical, but there is also buying another one, copying everything then returning it, no real harm done.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
if someone has a 7005 clockwork backup with the google experience on it and you restore it, yes, you will have everything in the backup. clockwork backups are actually the equivalent of this:
Code:
dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd? of=/sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/<date>/foo.img bs=4096
that is done for each of the mtd partitions: boot, system, recovery, data, etc. (replacing ? with a number and 'foo' with the name of the partition).

SpawnHyuuga

Feb 1, 2011
I appreciate the help l_n. At least your understanding and sympathetic to my stupidity.

Thanks for trying Robin, but the update.zip was I think what screwed up my 7005. I can't use the 7015 update.zip, and there is no update.zip for the 7005, even though it has the same problems. I think the update.zip was supposed to fix a rotation bug, among other things and my 7005 has the same problem. I tried playing that Lightning racing game, and lo and behold, my car can't steer worth "stuff."

I need an actual 7005 backup, not a 7015. I'm pretty sure the two devices are sufficiently different.

SpawnHyuuga

Feb 1, 2011
Was there ever a CyanogenMod port for MID7005? Flash is something I'd be interested if it was available.

EDIT: I found a firmware upload for the X5A-G? I think that's the correct type... but it says to use FWDN, I have no idea what that is... >.>

Last edited:

SpawnHyuuga

Feb 1, 2011
Well I thought maybe a simple file switching might help the Froyo port install, but I was wrong. So if I have a Froyo firmware, with just about every file what do I have to do to get it onto the tablet? Or do I need to have it working first before trying this?

I'm confused is that actually a firmware? I think it's just a recovery image or am I just completely confused on what Clockwork Mod Recovery is...?

Last edited:

Cutty1

Dec 18, 2010
I think its The Recovery File you Need for the Coby...

I downloaded it and opened it...

1 file shows as an Image file and the Other looks like a DOS window..I think that is the File...

Last edited:

SpawnHyuuga

Feb 1, 2011
I found an image of Froyo/Cyanogen for the X5A - tried it, and now my Tablet won't do anything.

I can still access Clockwork Recovery, but that's not an actual image for recovery. Beyond Clockwork Recovery the home button no longer works, nor do any of the other touch buttons. I can still navigate using my USB keyboard, but it will also no longer mount my SD Card. Is my only hope with the ADB or whatever its called?