A New Budget Android Tablet Available: 10-inch Ematic eGlide XL Pro 2 - $219 MSRP

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
eglidexlpro2lean2.jpg

We have an announcement of another Android 4.0 tablet coming for the budget-friendly market. A company called Ematic just announced their new eGlide XL Pro 2, and it looks like it could be a major bargain. The tablet has some pretty decent specs, but what makes it really stand out is that it is a 10-inch tablet but has an MSRP of only $219.99! Here are the specs followed by the full press release:
  • Android 4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich
  • 1GHz processor and a 400MHz GPU
  • 4GB of storage (expandable to 32GB via microSD)
  • 10-inch display
  • HDMI connection
  • Pre-loaded with the Ematic App Shop, a voice assistant and the Kobo eReader app (but does not have access to the Google Play Store).
This seems pretty amazing for the money. We will do some more digging on this one in the future. "The eGlide XL Pro 2 is now available at ShopNBC.com, Walmart.com, and Amazon.com. It retails for $219.99 (prices may vary)."

Los Angeles- May 7, 2012 – Ematic, a leader in value tablets, announced today the release of the eGlide XL Pro 2, its latest feature-packed, 10″ Android-powered tablet. This standout device redefines the user’s media experience with its widescreen view ideal for movies, and powerful multi-core processor built for optimal performance.

“We’re thrilled to launch the eGlide XL Pro 2, and add it to our expanding line of tablets which suit various needs and lifestyles,” says Roy Rayn, General Manager of Ematic. “This tablet incorporates everything our consumers love about Ematic products: durability, productivity and affordability.”

Powered to Perform…

The eGlide XL Pro 2 comes preloaded with Android 4.0 OS (or “Ice Cream Sandwich”) and a vast selection of pre-installed applications ready to use right away like the Kobo eReading application. The Android system delivers an easy user experience; faster web browsing and multi-tasking capabilities while the Ematic App Shop offers access to the latest apps that ensure the user will always be kept up-to-date with news feeds, social networks, and the latest games.

Exceptional Visual Display…

The 10″ capacitive touch screen features a crisp, clear display that truly brings movies and games to life. The tablet’s HD video player supports up to 1080p HD video and games by connecting to an HDTV. HDMI mirroring puts images from the tablet right to the big screen.

Powerful Processor and Remarkable Storage…

The eGlide XL Pro 2 comes with a 1GHz Processor and 400MHz GPU. It has more room for storing those important photos, videos, and documents with 4GB of internal storage plus 5GB of additional cloud storage, and 1GB RAM. Meantime, the MicroSD Card slot makes it possible to add another 32GB of storage.

Packed with Features…

Ematic’s latest tablet includes a built-in three-axis gyroscope coupled with an accelerometer for advanced motion sensing such as full 3D rotation. It has a front-facing camera and voice recorder. Built-in Wi-Fi means Internet connectivity anywhere there’s a hotspot.

Introducing EDAN…

Ematic is also pleased to announce that EDAN (“Ematic Digital Assistant & Navigator”) is preloaded onto the eGlide XL Pro 2. The virtual assistant app uses voice-to-text technology to find out answers to every day questions such as restaurant locations, movie times and more. Users can verbally dictate an email, Facebook message, or tweet without relying on the tablet’s on-screen keyboard.

The eGlide XL Pro 2 is now available at ShopNBC.com, Walmart.com, and Amazon.com. It retails for $219.99 (prices may vary).

Last edited:

MA83

Feb 25, 2012
Good looking tab, but with only 4GB available you're really limited with apps.

ttweed

May 12, 2012
Can't find exact specs on the Ematic site...Specs on Amazon say it's a 1.2GHz processor, not 1GHz.
I emailed Ematic about the lack of specs on this eGlide Pro 3 on their site, and they returned my email today saying they have updated the site to include it and also attached the manual for me in PDF. The manual says that the CPU is a BOXCHIP A10 / CORTEX A8 (1.2GHz). That is NOT, strictly speaking, an actual dual-core processor, from what I have read on this site, is it? The specs on the US website now say it is: EMATIC MP3 PLAYERS

I'm confused.
TT

Attachments

• $eglidespecs.jpg
    $eglidespecs.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 3,064
  • $eglide specs.jpg
    $eglide specs.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 2,883

Kingsman

Oct 31, 2011
dgstorm said:
We have an announcement of another Android 4.0 tablet coming for the budget-friendly market. A company called Ematic just announced their new eGlide XL Pro 2, and it looks like it could be a major bargain. The tablet has some pretty decent specs, but what makes it really stand out is that it is a 10-inch tablet but has an MSRP of only $219.99! Here are the specs followed by the full press release:

[*]Android 4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich
[*]1GHz processor and a 400MHz GPU
[*]4GB of storage (expandable to 32GB via microSD)
[*]10-inch display
[*]HDMI connection
[*]Pre-loaded with the Ematic App Shop, a voice assistant and the Kobo eReader app (but does not have access to the Google Play Store).

This seems pretty amazing for the money. We will do some more digging on this one in the future. "The eGlide XL Pro 2 is now available at ShopNBC.com, Walmart.com, and Amazon.com. It retails for $219.99 (prices may vary)."

I haven't been able to take a look at this yet. However, the price looks good, the specs look pretty good. It doesn't say how many mhz the battery is, don't like the fact that it only has 4 gig of nand memory, and Walmart's description of it is pretty weak. Also, there are no specs about available ports.

Let's wait and see.

TRC042

May 13, 2012
I have one. Ordered it from Walmart, got here in 3 days, $169.99 and free shipping.

It's my first Android device, so I have no real point of comparison. I've configured other people's iphones and ipads though. Screen looks good: very clear from most angles. Takes about 45 seconds to boot up. Seems responsive enough, but definitely slower than an ipad.

Came with no manual, no instructions: just a glossy fold-out with VERY basic instructions. Even the "Full Manual" on the device in .pdf format is nearly useless: at least it tells you what to plug in what ports.

The App Store sucks. Really, really sucks. Took me an hour to locate K9 email app, then I had to create an account, then the connection failed. I'm going to have to root the device and install Google Play.

All in all, it seems like a good deal. Bad app stores and wifi connectivity are issues with much more expensive tablets. The screen quality was my biggest concern: I had seen reviews of cheap tablets that said the screen was only clear when viewed straight on and at any angle was un-useable. This has no such issues at all: I used it on the bus (wifi on my bus) twice - once with the sun shining on me: no problem at all. And I have to wear reading glasses.

*#*#*!!!!! - - - Wireless will not work with any secure networks. Public unsecured ones work fine. That seems to be a chronic issue with Android in general from what research I've done. IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME WITH THE CONNECTIVITY ISSUE, PLEASE POST ANSWER OR LINKS TO ANSWERS!!!

TRC042

TRC042

May 13, 2012
PS - I was a tech support guy for the last 4 years, so I know technology. I just could never justify the expense of a smart phone or a dedicated Android device. My cell plan is a $50/mo unlimited everything account, but it's a not-so-smart phone. I've hacked the BIOS on my laptop, and hacked my HTC Dash phone to install win Mobile 6.0 (it's for sale BTW). Hacked more SW than I can list. So I'm not afraid to hack this thing. If I brick it I can just reset to default and restore everything. Biggest issue will be re-entering my home network password (23 random characters).

TRC042

ttweed

May 12, 2012
*#*#*!!!!! - - - Wireless will not work with any secure networks. Public unsecured ones work fine. That seems to be a chronic issue with Android in general from what research I've done. IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME WITH THE CONNECTIVITY ISSUE, PLEASE POST ANSWER OR LINKS TO ANSWERS!!!
I don't know how different the firmware is, but I had no problem connecting to my WEP secured network router with the smaller 7" eGlide Pro 3 I got from Walmart. I also received pretty prompt email support by requesting it from their website: http://www.ematic.us/contact_us.php I got a response the next day from a Joey there, sending from <[email protected]>. You might try that, or even calling the number on their support page: 1.888.968.1985 Monday - Friday 10am - 5pm PST

I found the lack of the Google marketplace discouraging too, and I'm not willing to root the thing with some generic ROM, so I am returning it, I think. It also had no hardware support for screenshots, which I thought was a standard feature of ICS??? Anyway, good luck, and you can always return it to your local Walmart within 15 days and get a refund. I would suggest getting an Eken T10 from FL superstore for only $10 more. They come pre-configured for the Google market and have better specs than the Ematic, plus good support and service from the USA, instead of China.

TT

TRC042

May 13, 2012
OK, I just reset to default and ran all the updates first, THEN put my wifi key in - works fine now.

HOW DO I ROOT THIS BUGGER!!!???

Can't find any root tutorials on it, Android Commander does not recognize the device, there's no ADB USB driver available. Want Google play (among other things) and I need root access to install the apk.

TRC042

May 13, 2012
Wishing I'd bought the Galaxy. May give this to my son (he's an uber-hacker, cracked his High School server and sent out bogus emails from the principles mailbox. Never got caught). I'd ask him to crack it, but that'l be the same as giving it to him - I'll never get it back once he has it.