A500 connect it to Plasma TV with Micro HDMI to regular HDMI Cable

MRClark_A500

Feb 18, 2012
Hello all,
I have bought a cheap micro HDMI to Regular HDMI Cable, In order to connect my Acer Iconia A500 to my 47" LG Plasma TV. The situation is when I connect the tablet to the TV only shows a black screen and a green Android logo.
The Tablet recognizes that is connected it thru HDMI but the tv only shows the green android.
Somebody knows why? is the cable defective? or, the tablet needs some type of settings that i dont know?
Please let me know if there is something that i am doing wrong.

gonzo88

Oct 29, 2011
maybe this helps. i had a Vizio VTab with a cheap cable and it wouldn't show right on my LCD, had a bunch of color lines! had to buy one that said "works on Phone" or something like that and it worked perfect! it also worked on my old Acer A500.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Like Gonzo88 says, you can either get a tablet rated cable, or just buy a REGULAR HDMI cable, not one with custom ends.

Then add a HDMI to Micro HDMI converter.
$41gxNr1RbsL._AA300_.jpg
Maybe from Amazon You can get these for under a buck.

When I used this combination it just worked out of the box. No tablet settings necessary.

rjm2140

Sep 2, 2011
I bought the same type of cheap cable from eBay and it works fine. Whatever is on the tablet screen shows up on my 40" plasma TV. I did not have to make any changes to my stock A500. What do you see on you tablet screen while your TV shows the android figure?

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Tanzanite

Jan 14, 2012
Hi Mr. Clark,

I could be wrong but if the Android Logo is clearly displayed on you TV then it is most likely an issue with the tablet or the software you are using.

Some movie players have an option to specify that you want HDMI out, so try to see if that will resolve your problem.

Justinappi

Feb 20, 2012
I had the same exact problem and solved it....My TV kept displaying the green android guy. It still does. Can't use my A500 with my tv. The problem is your TV. The A500 outputs 720p from it's HDMI port and your TV won't accept it, Your TV can't figure out that it has to step down from 1080 to 720. I tried my A500 on two different TVs and it worked perfectly. The problem is not the cable or the A500..... It's your TV. Try a different TV. Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Tablet Forum

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
The A500 outputs 720p from it's HDMI port and your TV won't accept it, Your TV can't figure out that it has to step down from 1080 to 720. I tried my A500 on two different TVs and it worked perfectly. The problem is not the cable or the A500..... It's your TV. Try a different TV. Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Tablet Forum

Wait, are you sure you don't have that backwards?

Any tv that can do 1080 will also do 720. But a older 720 tv may not have 1080.

The Acer has has 1080p on the HDMI port since the release of 3.1. (Allegedly) Of course this requires 1080p source files, because the Acer isn't going to up-convert on the fly.

rjm2140

Sep 2, 2011
I connected my A500 to a new HDTV capable of 1080 that shows the resolution of the applied HDMI input. What I found was that the A500 seems to output 720 when displaying the desktop and when when playing movies from Netflix. I'm using a 20 MB/s cable connection, so bandwidth isn't a problem. Hidef TV stations show as 1080. So it looks like our hidef HDMI output isn't full hidef.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Well, yes the desktop image can't exceed 720p because the display is physically WXGA (1280 x 800).

But if you have properly encoded movies you are supposed to be able to get output of 1080p 1920×1080 to the HDMI port.

I'm not sure I could prove this with what I have on hand. If your TV reads out the actual stream it is receiving over HDMI You might hook it up to your TV and then play the Trailer in this thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...32725-choppy-1080p-video-wifi.html#post180451
(just select the Standard Gallery as the player when you click the link)

I'd be interested to see what it shows the resolution of that movie is.

drozas

May 1, 2011
I have an old vizio 720p TV and it also does the same thing. My ps3 works great on it, yet my tab shows the Andy figure when I attach my tab via micro HDMI. My ps3 doesn't have a single game that throughputs at 1080p. Movies yes. Games, no they are all 720p. I was looking for help as well. I'm a chef and would love to do presentations without a laptop or work station. I'm lazy. That's why I do what I do. Haha.

Sent from my A500

rjm2140

Sep 2, 2011
Icebike, I tried your trailer link but still only got 720 using the standard player & also with the Mobo player.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Icebike, I tried your trailer link but still only got 720 using the standard player & also with the Mobo player.

Very interesting.
Which version of the OS are you running on the Acer?
I wonder if Acer is lying about 1080p...?

heluther

Apr 10, 2012
When Iattach the HDMI cable to the TV it works fine until I actually attempt to stream a video at which time it gives me a message that the HDMI cable has been disabled. I am still able to see content from the website and it will show the ads as well. What do you think?