A500 headphone jack issue???

odiep

Sep 22, 2011
Anyone else having issues with their Iconia A500 headphone jack? I've read about it a couple places but no solution. I've had mine for a couple weeks now and love it but now when I plug headphone or speakers into it sound comes through the external speakers and the on-board iconia speakers.

Can't return it but I'm not sure that it's a hardware issue anyway.

Any thoughts?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I don't think its a hardware issue.

Speaker selection is a software issue in modern devices, the sound chip can send to any and all outputs at the same time.
Unlike the old days when a physical switch was opened when you plugged in a headset.

Its programmed to switch when it senses a headset, but sometimes this fails if the headset is an
impedance mismatch or does not have the proper number of contacts.

The jack expects a four connector headset plug, like what comes with any cell phone, that handles earbuds and mic.

But it should also work with most three connectors.

$iphone-headphone-jack.jpg

The problem is you sometimes have a slight mis-alignment when using different plugs, and the contacts
don't line up properly. (The standards for the spacing on the plugs has been pretty loose over the years).

So, reboot the tablet, and then try a headset from your phone.

Attachments

• $3528678582_c289839b19.jpg
    $3528678582_c289839b19.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 2,981

kentuckyrandy

Aug 5, 2011
Icebike,

So, if it "expects" the 4 connector (phones + mic), does that mean that it can use the mic function? If so, for what programs? Video chat?

Randy

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Randy: You may have missed the fact that the tablet comes with Google Talk installed.

In Google talk you can do video chats or just voice chats.

The external mic works perfectly in Skype.

In addition I use mine for VOIP calls using CSipSimple. (My wifi only tablet has its own phone number).

That being said, there are many people that have problems with the internal mic, and sometimes
the external one works better. YMMV. Its been pretty crappy on 3.1, some times the internal
mics work better than the external.

kentuckyrandy

Aug 5, 2011
I use google talk (video/audio) all the time, with built in mic and camera. I use skype (video/audio) at work, to communicate with overseas clients. But have not gotten skpe video to work on Acer yet.

But that was not my question. My question was "does the Acer A500 make use of the external mic feature, that the 4 connector plug offers"? If so, can you use an external mic with google talk, to improve your voice, on a google video call?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I thought my answer was pretty explicit.

I use the external mic all the time with a cell-phone headset. I use a set of old left-over iPhone earbuds with mic.

Works perfectly with skype. Works perfectly with Google talk.
Most of my usage did not involve video, but the external mic works fine with with voice connections.

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
When you plug in a jack it separated the contact to the speakers.

Actually it doesn't work that way any more.
Its all done digitally for the last 10 years or so. And you have the option (with the right software) of running
speakers AND headphones at the same time.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Nope.
Not been released for the Acer 500 yet, and I'm not willing to try to hack on a version meant for a different tablet.

Apparently, the makers of Skype are not concerned that Skype video doesn't work on tablets - not high on their list of priorities. One gets a little peeved when software developers intently ignore the market calls. However Google Talk is not bad - only did a test run and it seemed to work fine.

As for the headphones I have been using the iphone/ipod earplug type and they work fine, but one must make sure one has pushed the plug firmly. Otherwise it will play on the external speaker and earplugs at the same time. An result experinced by 3 menbers of the household.

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
I thought my answer was pretty explicit.

I use the external mic all the time with a cell-phone headset. I use a set of old left-over iPhone earbuds with mic.

Works perfectly with skype. Works perfectly with Google talk.
Most of my usage did not involve video, but the external mic works fine with with voice connections.

Hi Icebike,

Could you recommend a headset-mic combo that would work with the A500.

Thanks,
Gerry

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Hi Icebike,

Could you recommend a headset-mic combo that would work with the A500.

Thanks,
Gerry

Every one I tried worked.
Iphone headset
Nexus One headset
High end Maximo iMetal headset ip595.

In all cases the Acer ignores and Pause buttons presses on the headset controller.

Click this link for a Google Shopping search Google

Almost anything on that list. Pick your price range. Utility earbuds + mic start at 10 bucks and go up from there.
If you have a smart phone, you probably already have a set that will work.

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
Note about Skype for A500 and most tablets, the newest update allows video calling. For sure on the A500, I've already made video calls.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Every one I tried worked.
Iphone headset
Nexus One headset
High end Maximo iMetal headset ip595.

In all cases the Acer ignores and Pause buttons presses on the headset controller.

Click this link for a Google Shopping search Google

Almost anything on that list. Pick your price range. Utility earbuds + mic start at 10 bucks and go up from there.
If you have a smart phone, you probably already have a set that will work.

Hi Icebike,

Thanks for the info. Right after I posted I looked in Amazon and I found one for $2 and free shipping. YES, I know its probably crap, but I couldn't pass it up!! The user reviews were very mixed, but surprisingly there were many that were quite positive. Anyway, the only time I would use it would be when I'm traveling and would want to call back home via Skype. So I figure it they are really crap then I'm only out $2!!

Gerry