A500 slow to start up????

Shelleyr25

Nov 30, 2011
I have had my A500 for about 3 weeks. Recently it seems it is very slow to start up when the power is turned on. I don't have much on it, just one page of apps, the usual stuff. Any suggestions?? TIA

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
From my experience all Android tablets take a considerable time to cold boot, but wake from sleep is pretty much instant no matter what you have installed.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

Shelleyr25

Nov 30, 2011
Thanks, at least I know there is not an underlying issue. Wake from sleep is no problem at all. I do not leave it on all the time because it is really not my primary computer. Thanks for the quick replies :cool:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Leave it sleeping on the charger. You can't overcharge modern devices.
Then it is always ready.

Turning it off just assures it will never become your primary computer (or even your secondary) because the wait time penalty for a boot up becomes too long to bother with. I just leave mine plugged in and sleeping near where I use it the most.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
+1 to Icebike's response. Tablets are like cell phones, meant to be on all the time. Just plug into the charger as necessary and occasionally you will have to reboot do to freezing or some other issue. If you always have it ready to go you will be more likely to use it since coming out of sleep is nearly instantaneous. There are plenty of passive uses as well, at worst get a picture rotating app and use it as a digital photo frame or weather/news app as a weather & news center.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I do not leave it on all the time because it is really not my primary computer.

First time I ever heard someone call this tablet a "computer".
I've heard "like a computer", "as a computer", etc, but never heard it referred to AS a computer.
I want to shake your hand sir and give you a hug (no homo) :D

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

BeNT

Dec 18, 2011
Not to hijack your thread, but has anyone experienced many lockups when trying to wake from an extended sleep period (i.e. several hours to overnight) ?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Not to hijack your thread, but has anyone experienced many lockups when trying to wake from an extended sleep period (i.e. several hours to overnight) ?

This used to be a problem with 3.1 but I haven't seen it since.
My solution was to leave bluetooth on all the time whether I use it or not.

Bluetooth is built in the same chip as wifi, and leaving it on seems to make wifi wake faster.
Sleeping wifi chip slows down wake from sleep.

ObsoleteAcey

Jan 18, 2012
I've had my iconia for quote some time now.. when i first got it it would start in 10 seconds from a cold boot.. then came android 3.1 and.. now it takes 5 minutes. Seriously, this all started when android was upgraded from 3.0 to 3.1. The main reason I reboot is after a period of time the tab fails to recognise USB drives inserted so I have to reboot to get this to work again.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011

Not with my A500, but it happened with the first Kyros 1024 I purchased. It turned out to be a defective device, and worked fine since it was replaced. I would suggest that you do a "factory reset" or firmware restore to make sure it's not software related, installing only the needed apps, one at a time.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I've had my iconia for quote some time now.. when i first got it it would start in 10 seconds from a cold boot.. t

Ummmm, sorry, but the Acer NEVER started in 10 seconds from a cold boot. Never. Even new out of the box it takes longer than that.

If you slow down plugging and unplugging USB drives all the time it will work fine. It requires time to scan the drives, and build thumbnails for file types it recognizes. If you start plugging and unplugging before it completes this task it can't keep up, and just abandons the USB device.

Also if you plug in some huge drive and give it long enough to build thumbnails, disconnect and power down, it is left with this huge cache of thumbnails that it has to validate at boot time. It looks at each thumb nail, tries to find the actual file, can't access the USB drive, deletes the thumbnail, rinse, repeat a thousand times.

Use smaller media source, instead of huge thumb drives or spinning storage.
Slow down and give the tablet a chance.

ObsoleteAcey

Jan 18, 2012
Ummmm, sorry, but the Acer NEVER started in 10 seconds from a cold boot. Never. Even new out of the box it takes longer than that.

Really you had my iconia before me? I should take it back as they sold me a second hand device! OK maybe 10 seconds was an over exaggeration, but it was no much over 30 second considering it takes 5 minutes to boot now. And as I stated this was only after the 3.1 upgrade. And no I was not unplugging and plugging in quickly. It just randomly stops recognising the plugged in device. Aren't the thumbnails stored on the usb device? I assumed that is what the hidden thumbnail folder is for. Storing them on the tab and validating each at boot sounds like the most retarded way of doing it ever, especially if you never look at 95% if the files on the drive

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Last edited: