Adding New Folders to Acer Iconia Tab A500

robertg

Jun 16, 2011
How can you add extra folders to the desktop. As default it comes with eReading, Games, Multimedia and Social. I want to add more, has anyone worked it out? With my Android phone I just press on the screen and I get a menu which allows you to add Folders along with shortcuts, widgets and wallpapers.

nrage23

Nov 8, 2010
How can you add extra folders to the desktop. As default it comes with eReading, Games, Multimedia and Social. I want to add more, has anyone worked it out? With my Android phone I just press on the screen and I get a menu which allows you to add Folders along with shortcuts, widgets and wallpapers.
Same way as your phone. When you press and hold on an empty space it brings you to a screen where you can select widgets, app shortcuts, wallpapers, and more.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Just download FILE EXPERT form the android market - is free - and voila! you now have an excellent file browser and you ccan copy and paste rename, make new folders to your hearts content.

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
Press and hold should bring up the 5 home screens. Drop the app on whatever homescreen you like. Hold is the key.

Humantelope

May 2, 2011
i'm not trying to be a jerk here, but do any of you READ the posts you reply to? the OP is looking to add folders like those acer put in by default (the ereading, games and so forth) which i would like as well. however, dragging and dropping an app icon isn't the same thing... file expert is a file manager which doesnt add any sort of folder widget. and nrage was the closest with that reply but i don't believe honeycomb supports folders like phones did previously. If you know of any app that provides the widgets for folders nrage please let us know which one it is ;) what i do know is that the ones acer included are actually apps and not widgets... but i'd be content with even just widgets

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Same way as your phone. When you press and hold on an empty space it brings you to a screen where you can select widgets, app shortcuts, wallpapers, and more.

If don't see any option for a new folder in there.
Am I missing some?

v62cobra

May 1, 2011
yea the OP is refering to the themed folders that have like a shelf with random objects on them at the bottom. Not a generic folder. I haven't seen an option for this. I believe that this is actually a program preinstalled by Acer as the transformer has a different app and layout for this. Just guessing though....

spexwood

May 11, 2011
yea the OP is refering to the themed folders that have like a shelf with random objects on them at the bottom. Not a generic folder. I haven't seen an option for this. I believe that this is actually a program preinstalled by Acer as the transformer has a different app and layout for this. Just guessing though....

I think you are right about it being a separate app. I cant remember what it was called, but I found the app after I rooted my tablet for the first time.

As for the TC's original question: no, I do not think there is a way to add more folders. I have personally tried everything I could to add more "folders" (using your terms since I do not know what else to call them) and could never find a way to do it. I ended up throwing in the towel and stopped using the app altogether (for personal reasons). You may want to look into some third-party apps that allow you to create an actual desktop folder and add app shortcuts to it (kinda like creating a folder on a Windows PC and filling it with shortcuts). I have not tried any, but I know they are out there. Some of the links that people posted earlier may be some of these apps, but again, I havent tried them so cannot say for sure.

eaglehu12

Sep 21, 2013
i have done this although the results aren't exactly the same as the ereader and multimedia folders.
it does work all you have to do is drag one app over another and drop it
you can do this with as many apps as you want in the folder then when you tap one app they will all be seen in a square, at the bottom of this is the word untitled just tap that to give the folder a title on your screen hope this helps and is not to far out of date for you

benroveno

Mar 28, 2014
I heard its battery life is long lasting right. According to Phonearena, it could last around 2 days in mixed usage. Probably it's because its Tegra 2 is not so power hungry. Sorry out of topic.

rejeang

Feb 6, 2016
If don't see any option for a new folder in there.
Am I missing some?
I haven't seen any documentation on this, which would be quite useful. But here, on an Acer B1-770, I figured out that if you drag an icon on top of another, it will automatically create a folder. But it seems to be really touchy. You have to start dragging one of the icons, and than hold the second one. When you get them one on to of the other, you see a circle appear, you let them go and it creates a folder. Than you can click on it and rename.