An App Question .

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I'm asking a question in regards to what BIBLE app you are using - for those of you who are followers of Christ. I noticed a few around of us around.

To start off this thread, I use MYSWORD FOR ANDROID. I find it rather clumsy but on the other hand it has a whole lot of Bible Versions which is good for the Biblical Student. I'm reasonably happy with it but I like to know what your opinions are, and which Bible app you are using, how long have you had it. And if you have changed Bible apps, which one do you use and why.

dmyrick1967

Sep 11, 2011
I used Youversion for a long time. And it it's still my favorite on my android phone, BUT on my coby kyros 1024 tablet I use Cadre Bible. I have even started using it at church. It works great when giving devotions and I can easily look up and save in history all the verses I need. I like the study tools also. I had to have the offline version and this one fits for me. I'd suggest you download several and see what fits your needs. I tried mysword too, didn't care for it as a study tool. Was good for just reading if I remember right. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Android Tablet Forum

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
I love Olive Tree. They have been around for years. My first use of Olive Tree was back in the old Palm Pilot days. The app has a lot of features. The one I like best is the side bar. You can open other Olive tree books there and as you move through the Bible the side bar book follows along without having to make changes. I keep Mathew Henry's open there to have instant commentary of what ever verses I am reading. Also the pop-up balloons, there are hyperlinks in the Bibles and books that you can click on and get a balloon with more info. The features go on and on and they are constantly adding more through updates.

dmyrick1967

Sep 11, 2011
Forgot about Olive Tree. Used then on my old Palm too. Moved onto my old blackberry curve and it was great. How well does it really work on android? And is it free now, cadre is, or the pieces I use are, but it can be bulky.

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
I think it works great, not as beautiful as the iPad/iPhone app, but Olive Tree is working on getting the Android app to match what the iOS version does. They are very close since the last update a couple weeks ago. You can get the app with one version of the Bible, i.e. KJV or NiRV, etc., for free. And they have hundreds of free books to go with it. Their sales are good too, just buy it on line, not through the app, then sync you app to Olive Tree to get the new purchase.

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
For years I used Laridian's bible program on my windows phone and desktop but they are WAY behind when it comes to Android. They only have an early ALPHA version that has been released to thier users that have been clamoring to see something for andoid. It is understandable because they have a small (two man) programming team. But it is unfortunate because they are getting way behind. I also have a lot of bible versions and study tools I have bought over the years.

OliveTree is a good one. Their android version is behind their iOS version but it is coming along. The app is free as is a couple translations and many books. They also have a large selection of translations, study aids and books to buy at reasonable prices.

Yourversion is a free app and many translations are free, even ones you have to pay for with other apps. It has a much simpler interface that is great for just reading. I also like it for use in church because I am less apt to rabbit trail off during the sermon ;)

Cen5

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
I would like to add also that Olive Tree is coming out with a desktop version very soon to compliment their mobile versions. It will allow you to also download your full library of books and Bibles you already have on your mobile to you PC. And the books you buy from them are always yours to download to any device you have. I still use books that I bought for my Palm years ago on my Acer A500. Their customer service is fantastic as well.

dmyrick1967

Sep 11, 2011
I love this topic. Thanks for the original post. I have downloaded olive tree on my tablet and will use it today for my morning devotion and throughout church. Looks great so far.

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
I no longer take a printed Bible to church. My A500 is my Bible now. They call me the tech guy at church. It is much easier for me to locate scriptures and I have unlimited access to study help with me. Especially since our church has free WiFi.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Well thanks guys, I now have a wealth of very useful information. I have had many different Bible programs over the years. Just to name a few:

The Online Bible or OLB, which was not really online, I liked it at the time because it had a lot for different version including Greek and Hebrew.

Then I got THE WORD which was similar to OLB but had a better GUI.

Then I decide to buy the full version of the LOGOS BIBLE SYSTEM LIBRARY SYSTEM which always had problems. But I loved it because it had lots of Bible versions, commentaries, maps, and etc.

Finally, in the last few years I have been using one that I could download from the web. It was called eSword. I have use this Bible version for many years. However, since I've upgraded ot Win 7 it has had some issues but still works ok most of the time.

When I got my A500 I wanted a Bible at my finger tips. I downloaded one but I wasn't impressed. So I did a search on the market to see what other options were available. That is how I came across Mysword. I haven't looked for another because I thought it was okay. I have begun to realise that there are some serious limitations. I have always liked to get into discussions with my fellow Christians and post verses relevant to the discussion. I've tried with Android but it doesn't seem to work. I suppose the other option would be to put it into a text file and upload the text file. What have you found? Have you been able to post into the web browser? have begun to realise that there

Last edited: