android security annoyance

wmunn

Apr 25, 2011
I have an Acer Iconia running 3.2 and have a severe dislike for the following annoyance.

My place of employment requires a certificate be installed on all devices to connect via wifi.
That being said, I got the certificate and installed onto the android tablet (not an easy process in itself, I did a lot of internet searching and figured it out)
Now, with said certificate installed, every single time I turn on my tablet, in order for it to use the stored certificate, I have to navigate to settings, location & security, check box for use secure credentials, and enter the password. WTF? why do they make it so annoying, can't this password be saved or blanked out? My device is already secured before it can be used through a password at power up.....

Any suggestions?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
That is more how your WPA2 credentials are configured to work on the Firmware. Some of the other Brands (Archos,ASUS) Firmware allow that 802.1x password to be cached. I have to say though, if you want to use the work WLAN, you will have to play by those rules. It is not an open WLAN and you have to understand the FW is the cause and not the security.

wmunn

Apr 25, 2011
It isn't a WPA2 password specific to my credentials for the network, rather a password insisted upon by the android device, rather than the network. All other devices I own connect on the secure wifi using the security certificate without requiring a password at all.