Android table 'Official' Music Player

ridz1ba

Dec 1, 2011
I have 2 Android tablets at the moment - one an Acer Iconia A500 10" tablet (given to me as a gift) and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7" tablet which I purchased recently. I noticed that the 'official' music player for the Acer is Google Play Music but on the Samsung Galaxy Tab, I could not find Google Play Music. Upon trying to install it on the Samsung via Google Play (formerly Google Market), it shows that I have it already installed. What puzzles me is that it does not show up in the application list (Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All) - no Google Play Music at all. Instead there is a 'Music player' installed and I don't know whether it's from Google (the icon is a CD instead of the headphone as shown by the Google app). Could someone help me to verify if 'Google Play Music' or 'Music player' is the 'official' music player for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7. Any help would be appreciated.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
There is no such thing as "official" music apps. The app shows it is installed be cause it is one at least one devices under the account. It doesn't need to be on all devices on the account to shoe installed. Each manufacturer can put whatever player they want on their device. Samsung is known to add it's own skinning of Android so the "official" player change is probably part of that process. The truth is that some of the Google Apps provided for Android are pretty basic and you are much better off getting and using a third party app from the Play store in any case. Here is a list of suggestions 15+ Best Free Android Media Player Apps You Should Check Out | WebTabLab.com.

ridz1ba

Dec 1, 2011
There is no such thing as "official" music apps. The app shows it is installed be cause it is one at least one devices under the account. It doesn't need to be on all devices on the account to shoe installed. Each manufacturer can put whatever player they want on their device. Samsung is known to add it's own skinning of Android so the "official" player change is probably part of that process. The truth is that some of the Google Apps provided for Android are pretty basic and you are much better off getting and using a third party app from the Play store in any case. Here is a list of suggestions 15+ Best Free Android Media Player Apps You Should Check Out | WebTabLab.com.

Thanks for the reply and the link. So I will now try out some of the media players mentioned there - RealPlayer looks good.

ridz1ba

Dec 1, 2011
The app shows it is installed be cause it is one at least one devices under the account.
songht1.jpg
5.jpg
song12.jpg
song10.jpg
song2.jpg

Let me try to understand that - if I have Google Play Music installed on my Acer A500, then it will show as the app being already installed even if it is NOT installed on my Samsung Galaxy Tab? If so, then I have 2 questions:

(1) Is it then possible to install Google Play Music on my Samsung Galaxy Tab?

(2) If so, how do I install it (I already tried several times but failed)?