Android Tablet in Ambulance

• Thread starter Deleted member 196971
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 196971

Hi Group,

I'm new to the Android tablet world, so please forgive this noob question.

I've been kicking around the idea of replacing the analog clock in the back of our ambulances with a <$100 Android tablet. We've been battling the clocks for years, time changes, batteries, they just keep bad time. We tried 'atomic' clocks too, but they did not work either, too far from Colorado to get a signal.

To expand the function of the tablet to more then just a clock, I thought about creating an custom application that would display two different screens, one is the TIME (HH:MM:SS) and the second screen is the number of minutes that the ambulance crew was AT SCENE of the of 9-1-1 call, in MM format. As the minutes count UP it would motivate the crews to go enroute to the hospital. Yes, this does happen, no joke.

But for a successful project the tablet needs to Auto Power On and auto load the application. I have not purchased any tablets yet and I come from an iPad world, so I don't know if this can happen. I can provide constant power to the tablet or power it on with the ignition. Once the tablet gets power, it needs to turn on and load the application.

Each ambulance also has wifi, so each tablet would be joined to that truck's AP. The tablet would also need to auto join its pre-paired SSID network. Again, not sure this can be done without any human intervention.

The final solution needs to work without any human intervention, I can't ask people to 'log into your wall clock' at the beginning of their shift.

Thanks for any feed back.

Jim

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum Jim

Just my thought but it sounds like a lot of work when an Android phone would do it. There are timers available as well and you could use its connectivity for other things too, But that's just me. ;)

D

Deleted member 196971

Hi Leeshor,
A tablet is cheaper and I do not need the cell sevice that a phone would provide. More important I need people to see the screen from ~10 feet. Not all the paramedics are young and have 20/20 vision to see the smaller screen of a phone.
Thanks

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
In that case what you are asking for can probably be done with widgets, both the clock and the timer. Most tablets, if not secured, will power on when you apply power, (plug in the charger), so if it is plugged into an outlet that comes on when the ambulance is started up that should work. The only thing left would be the powering down and maybe automating the start of the timer. I'm thinking 100% hands off may not be doable.

D

Deleted member 196971

I think my best bet is to purchase one and just play with it until I get it to work or until I exhaust all my options.
Thanks