Android Tablet Sales Surge Q3 at Expense of iPad; Apple's Marketshare Drops to 50.4%

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
Android-Tablets-montage.jpeg

The newest Quarter 3 IDC marketshare report is out for the tablet market, and Apple's marketshare was eroded by Android even further. Sales of the Apple iPad in Q3 are down to 50.4%, from 65.5%. This is a quarter-on-quarter drop of over 15%. Android tablet sales surged during this period, with Samsung, Amazon and Asus seeing the most gain.

Samsung's tablet sales rose 5.1 Million, which was a 115% increase from Q2 2012, and they grabbed a full 18.4% of the tablet market. Amazon grew their marketshare up to a total of 9%. Asus saw the largest percentage gain. Sales of the Nexus 7 (manufactured by Asus) helped propel them to 8.6% total marketshare which was a 242.9% jump from the previous quarter. According to the report, the tablet market grew 49.5% in Q3, which was a 6.7% improvement over the number posted in Q2.

Source: AndroidAuthority

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I never realized until I read this article that half of the people who own a tablet, have an iPad, which is amazing!

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Great article, thanks dgstorm.

Apple's share price has dropped from the 700 dollar range it was at recently too. A lot of interesting numbers in this report.

Pallen

Nov 6, 2012
• I see this continuing to happen until Apple lowers their prices to compete. Yes, there are plenty of Apple fans that have income to spend on simple but higher priced tablet, but I imagine most(not all) tablet users that are actually on a budget will go Android over time.