Annoying Facebook Login Popup

RogerP

Jul 1, 2011
Acer Iconia A500
I have somehow installed an annoying popup. It says it is for Facebook Login and Pops up every 10 Minutes and is extremely annoying because it overrides whatever I'm attempting to do. I'm not ready to type in my Password to something I did not intend to install, especially after reading about the vulnerability of the Android operating system.

Does anyone have any information on how to uninstall this without doing a Factory Reset? :confused:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I presume you've tried the normal uninstall procedures?

Facebook itself doesn't come on the tablet, just a link to facebook web site. So you should be able to un-install it normally.

If it is something else, pretending to be the Facebook app, then you will have to track it down using the Settings / Applications / Running.
If you find it, kill it, then Clear Data. Clear Data usually prevents them from restarting.

One thing to check is that Silly SocialJogger app. You have to kill that thing and clear its data as well or it tries to jump into memory every once in a while.

RogerP

Jul 1, 2011
Many Thanks IceBike.
I believe the Social Jogger might have been the problem. I haven't seen the popup since removing that "app".

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I just started getting this popup today. I have not installed any new apps in several weeks (except for updates and the new Google Play update which is the Market's new name) and I have no Facebook apps installed except SocialJogger, which I have never used. This annoying popup just magically appeared today and whenever I pressed the cancel button, it would come up again about 10 minutes later. So, I finally gave in and entered my username and password and press the login (or was it OK?) button and then a little message about some error trying to connect to remote server appeared for a few seconds. The popular then STILL came back 10 minutes later.

Oh, and get this:
When i visited my FB page through the internet, my account was locked because someone in Colombia tried to access my account. I had to disapprove the access attempt and create a new password! I visited my account earlier today and had no problems! It seemed to all happen as soon as I entered my info into that popular.

I cleared thevSocialJogger cache like IceBike suggested and SO FAR no more popups. I'm gonna freeze the app too just to be safe, but HOPEFULLY that was the culprit, but I still don't know why the popup suddenly started appearing and how it got there and why it was linked to someone in Colombia!

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I actually noticed something and thought of something just now:

I opened SocialJogger and began to login to my Facebook account (I didn't actually login though; only wanted to see what the popup looked like when it appeared). Sure enough, the login popup was the same as what I was seeing. So SocialJogger WAS the culprit.
BTW, as soon as the popups began, I scanned my tablet for Over the Air Notifications/Push Ads and nothing was found.

Now, what I thought about was this:
MAYBE I did try SocialJogger once without liking it and ever returning to it.
If so then it did have my account info and MAYBE someone in Colombia (with no connection to my SocialJogger app; pure coincidence) tried to hack my account. In that case, my account became suspended, making it so that SocialJogger could no longer login. If that were the case, then SocialJogger was simply trying to get me to enter my new info, which was not available since my account was actually temporarily locked.
This actually makes sense in trying to explain what happened.