Another my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 won't charge post

Shellya

Oct 16, 2015
So maybe two months ago I noticed that I couldn't connect the tablet to my PC to transfer files. The PC says it doesn't recognize it. Thought at first it was because I had just updated to Windows 10. So I took the tablet to work to see if it would connect and still nothing. So I researched a little and read that it might be the usb cable or the Charging Port. So I order new ones and tried those but that still wasn't working. (So I used my mini sd card and didn't worry anymore about it. I should say here that I started using the first original usb cable again and put the new one away.)

Until last week when I went to charge the tablet, while using it, and it continued to discharge. I thought that was strange since normally it still charges but slower. So I stopped using it, still discharging. Turned it off and finally it started charging. The next day it was fine. Would charge both on, and in use. So again I wasn't worried.

Now this week It would not charge at all. Not electrically. Not on the PC. Not off. Nothing. So again I researched and tried a few things:

- took it to work to see if a different electrical current made a difference -> still wouldn't charge
- tried work PC -> wouldn't charge
- went home and tried the new usb cable from two months ago -> started charging but so slow that it took maybe 12/13hrs to get to 100% but now there was a big red X over the battery.
- tried charging it on the pc for 5 hours (did this two days in a row)-> charged but still has an X
- then this morning I thought to charge it directly on the wall, not through a surge protector -> and the X was gone
- since I had to get to work, again I took it with me, plugged it into a wall socket -> no change in 2 hours
- at work on the pc -> charged 1% in 40 minutes

So I'm not sure. I'm glad the X is gone but I'm leery to say it was the wall socket since it's on my work computer now and there's no X when there was one a few days ago on it. Of course I want to assume that the problem is the battery but maybe not. Both the usb cable and the wall plug are Samsung. The plug is the original. I bought my tablet towards the end of 2012, so it is 'old'.

Any other suggestions? I really do love my tablet and would hate to get rid of it.

edit: not charging at all again. But also no X.

Last edited:

druwallpat

Oct 27, 2015
Mine was doing the same thing. So I'm retracing your steps. Nothing worked in combo (PC, Wall socket, different adapters) so I did the original fix. I turned the power off.

When I powered off the tablet, the blue battery icon started to increment fill from right to left. I waited and checked a bit later, and it had been charging. I can't find my original adapter to plug the usb cord into, so I'm using off-brand. Don't recall if I could charge while powered on with the original.
Anyway, turn the power off, plug it in, and see if yours will charge. That's my advice.

Ginger1Cat

May 25, 2016
had my tablet 2 years worked good than stopped charging. I changed the battery, tried a new cord and plug, old cord and old plug, tried a wall socket and a power pad. also did the computer charge. it will not charge unless turned off. and even then it is slow to charge up. I also did the factory reset. How can I get the darn thing to charge while on?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

If you are using a replacement charger and cable designed for your tablet it should work. If it charges connected to your computer that means the charging circuit is working even if it's really slow.

Ginger1Cat

May 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum

If you are using a replacement charger and cable designed for your tablet it should work. If it charges connected to your computer that means the charging circuit is working even if it's really slow.
It takes over a day to charge, it would not be too bad if 8 hours charged it up, but it takes like 24 to do so. I really like this tablet but I may have to get another one. only being able to use it every other day or so is a really big drag.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I still suggest you get a charger intended for your tablet, eBay or Amazon. It sounds like the charger isn't operating at the proper wattage or voltage.

Ginger1Cat

May 25, 2016
humm guess i am not clear, sorry about that. both the charger and cord came from Battery source. I at first thought the originals went bad which is why it was not charging so I picked up replacements meant for the Samsung galaxy note. that did not work, so i replaced the battery. battery worked out nicely till it came time to recharge. It did not charge fast like before very slow, so did a search. I then tried the power button and up volume trick to reboot. no change, then i did a factory reset, no change except losing everything lol. tried different locations. all the tricks i gleaned from different sites did not work. Only thing left to try is a reload of the OS, but i am not too sure if it is Jellybean, or ice cream sand. I am sure that i have the correct charger and cord, and I am sure that the originals are working as well. the battery is good. so I pretty much ran outta options here.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I don't have any other suggestions unless there is something wrong with the battery or the charging circuit.