Anti virus on android?

lostdog

Nov 25, 2010
Hi guys.
I am a newby and have just purchased a Zenithink Z180 and would like to know what anti virus is recommended for this or any other tablet style computer,as it connects directly to the net it I think must need an anti virus.
Love to hear what is the opinion of the experts.
lostdog.
:confused:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The answer to this is a bit wait and watch. There are Android exploits out there. But the real danger to your ZT-180 is right between your ears. Nothing personal. It will be what you install that may cause you the greatest danger. There are no dedicated AV products available yet. The vulnerabilities caused by Trojans or Worms are not ready to affect your unit YET!!!.
There will be an Anti-malware app. but it will be different than your PC AV app.

Kamau

Mar 9, 2011
I'm wondering the same thing about security, even if for peace of mind.
I was reading how anti-virus/malware for my DX was really not necessary a couple months ago. Now, it's a "Better To Be Caught With It Than Without It" kind of thing. Especially when that I read that someone in China found a way to exploit the patch that was released recently for those infected units, either reinfecting them or just infecting them more deeply.
I also know that one should be wary about what they install on it, but to be honest with you all, prevention is surely worth a pound of cure. And all it would take is a momentary lapse of judgment, as we all make in some form or another, and I'm wondering why my tablet is acting screwy.
I am really hoping that legitimate developers are working on security apps for our devices as much as they are churning out games and the such.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
How things change in four months. I am now using AVG mobile on my Archos 101 and A81-E. Neither have had any issues of performance and I am pleased thus far. There are both minor players and major players now in the mobile security market. I cannot speak to all of them. I have "played" with McAfee and am using AVG. You would be wise to remember my initial post statement. BUT, I would suggest considering an Anti-Malware product. Especially if you have any direct wireless/3G connectivity with your Tab.

Horus

Oct 27, 2011
Same here I am using AVG but really waiting for Avast to bring one out. To be honest you would have to go to some lengths to get any naughiness on your Droid.