Any Way to Get 3G or Phone?

sungod88

Nov 22, 2010
I just brought my s7 last night and I was pumped to insert my att&t sim card in and use the 3g. Then I looked in the back and there is black rubber stuff covering the simcard hole! Has anyone found a way to get 3g access for this baby at all? I love it regardless but that feature would really push it over the top for me.:cool:

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
He S7 slim is wifi only. That is the reason I chose not to upgrade from my S7. Huawei made the decision to leave off cell capability at the last minute before shipping the units. Bummer. The S7 is a great tablet but the battery life sucks. The S7 slim is also a great tablet but they left off 3g. What's wrong with those folks?

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

sungod88

Nov 22, 2010
What if we found a way to cut out the rubber? it should fit then and hopefully we could get the 3g working

tri_zet

Developer
Mar 1, 2011
What if we found a way to cut out the rubber? it should fit then and hopefully we could get the 3g working

if all the hardware is there and connected, you still need to flash a ROM with 3G capabilities. (the only one slim ROM with 3G capabilties available for download is South African version)

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
if all the hardware is there and connected, you still need to flash a ROM with 3G capabilities. (the only one slim ROM with 3G capabilties available for download is South African version)
From memory the Broadcom radio chipsets used all have telephony capability so remove the black gunge, flash the tri_zet SA ROM and you could make a lot of Slim owners very FAT!
I might even get one for myself. (If they ever let me in the country again!)

sungod88

Nov 22, 2010
Ok so I got the black crap from the sim slot, wasn't hard at all. But I cant get that firm ware to load!

Music

Feb 5, 2011
There is a device called S7 Slim PRO, that has the phone stuff enabled. It's just a LOT bigger, like an iPad :/

toroblanco

Aug 8, 2011
Ok so I got the black crap from the sim slot, wasn't hard at all. But I cant get that firm ware to load!

Hi there
How you managed to remove the rubbery thing?
I gave it a try but all i got is the visible part broke off and the rest staid in the socket.
Anyone else succeeded or just me being lame?

Music

Feb 5, 2011
When I last talked to the tech guy about my first Slim, I metioned the SIM slot, and he told me that you could pull out the rubber and put a SIM card in there, but it would fall through because the electrical contacts aren't in there.

merddynemrys

May 13, 2012
I removed the black insert from the s7 slim (I used a thin bladed box cutter and a couple of small diameter drill bits - the latter just to prop up the plastic casing when I was cutting). It seems to be neoprene in the shape of a SIM card. The contacts for a SIM holder appear to be there (difficult to see, but there appear to be 6 solder points where you would expect them for a SIM card holder) BUT the SIM card holder itself is missing. I have not found an easy way to get at this socket to try to install a SIM card holder (I removed all the retaining screws - didn't seem to help - there's probably some other trick to get at this - ANYONE???). Also the software to enable 3G appears to be missing from the US S7 Slim system (rumour has it that the Indonesian or South African flashes should work).
Anyone else have any info on this issue? It appears to be peculiar to S7 Slims sold in the US (or maybe it's just the Best Buy tablets).

adrian001

Dec 9, 2012
From memory the Broadcom radio chipsets used all have telephony capability so remove the black gunge, flash the tri_zet SA ROM and you could make a lot of Slim owners very FAT!
I might even get one for myself. (If they ever let me in the country again!)

you mean south africa?

nastiero

Dec 5, 2010
I removed the black insert from the s7 slim (I used a thin bladed box cutter and a couple of small diameter drill bits - the latter just to prop up the plastic casing when I was cutting). It seems to be neoprene in the shape of a SIM card. The contacts for a SIM holder appear to be there (difficult to see, but there appear to be 6 solder points where you would expect them for a SIM card holder) BUT the SIM card holder itself is missing. I have not found an easy way to get at this socket to try to install a SIM card holder (I removed all the retaining screws - didn't seem to help - there's probably some other trick to get at this - ANYONE???). Also the software to enable 3G appears to be missing from the US S7 Slim system (rumour has it that the Indonesian or South African flashes should work).
Anyone else have any info on this issue? It appears to be peculiar to S7 Slims sold in the US (or maybe it's just the Best Buy tablets).
See this Post:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...chnical/21773-opening-up-ideos-s7-slim-2.html