Anyone Having Problems Moving Files/Folders Around on the External SD?

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Hi there,
Is anyone having issues moving things around on their external SD? I tried moving a bunch of folders (from my Camera folder to my Pictures folder) and I couldn't do it with any of the file managers I have on my A500 ( ES File, Astro & AndroZip). When I attached my A500 to my laptop and tried, I got "the device is either no longer plugged in or not responding". There were also a couple of random files/ folders I tried with mixed results.

I had to pull the card and use an adapter to do any sort of manipulation.

Is there something in ICS that doesn't allow for management on the external SD or is mine corrupted?

Thanks for the input.
-scoobs

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
I have not had problems with Astro, haven't tried moving things while attached to a computer.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I've used both FILE EXPERT and FILE MANAGER (HD) without any issue.

But I've had file corruption opening an existing document with the intention to add more to the document - got file corruption which none of the word processor would open. Only OLIVE office would opun file and all formating was gone. In one case I lost the file completely.

Up shot - I'm beginning to wonder if it is ICS that corrupted the files since I've added the EXTERNAL SD CARD. Uncertain so far.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Reformatted the SD card and now everything works fine. This is the second time the external got corrupted somehow.
Douvie, how did you save the file? I screwed up a couple of documents by not saving them in the proper Windows format. After editing in one app and trying to open in another, the file was useless. Didn't realize that until I talked to the people at Docs To Go.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Not really OT, but I just ran across a great looking file manager that works with non-rooted and rooted tablets. Looks like it would be easy to move, copy, delete, etc., using a split view. On the Google Play Store it has a rating of 4.9 stars out of 10,465 reviews. I played around with it a little and so far it looks like a keeper. It does a lot. I just might uninstall the other file manager I was using.

Solid Explorer Beta 2

I read about it here:

Solid Explorer Beta Updated To v1.3.8, Brings Streaming Media From Dropbox, Box, And Drive, Plus A Lot More

Link to Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsInBsLnNvbGlkZXhwbG9yZXIiXQ..

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Reformatted the SD card and now everything works fine. This is the second time the external got corrupted somehow.
Douvie, how did you save the file? I screwed up a couple of documents by not saving them in the proper Windows format. After editing in one app and trying to open in another, the file was useless. Didn't realize that until I talked to the people at Docs To Go.
I saved them in word 2007 format which includes the docx extension. I would open a file intending to add/appending to the document some extra data and the file would get corrupted. A frustrating thing to happen. I've tried other things like a complete new file name but that gets corrupted instantly.

Update:

I've posted a new thread on file corruption and data loss.

It seems that the file manager causes corruption if you unmount the USB STICK/DRIVE which causes misread on the external SD card - all data seems lost - but is not. If you, however, attempt to locate the data or remove the SD card, all data will be lost or wiped. There seems to be no other way but to reboot the tablet - data will still be there after reboot. I've written to the app developers informing them of this issue. They need to make the app remove itself from RAM when you exit the app.

Hope this helps someone.

Douvie.

Last edited: