Anyone try this tablet yet?

wmwinn

Aug 22, 2010
If you start ES File Explorer and peek inside the APK folder, you'll see many apps to install there. I found the screen calibration app - it's called "Touch Calibrator".

So far, so good with my testing. I am a happy camper with this tablet. The only force close i get repeatedly is with the Settings app. The RedLaser app does not work, it can't control the camera to scan bar codes. After trying RedLaser - the camera no longer works correctly. I hope a reboot will fix that :)

wmwinn

Aug 22, 2010
Here's the "About device" info - in case you're looking for any ROMs out there:

Model: beiger_magibox Serial No: MN0xxxxxxxxxx
Android Version: 2.2 build 140
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9 build 1542
Build Number: beiger_magibox-eng 2.2 FRF91 build 140 test-keys

DanU

Mar 4, 2011
WMWINN - that is weird that the calibration utility doesn't come up for you with the button command, but glad you found your way to it. I will concur that on the unit I have with working screen, it also doesn't seem very sensitive around the edges. I have not calibrated it though.

I received corresponence from merimobiles support. They are going to provide a new firmware to see if it resolves the issues I have. I am pretty optimistic that it might fix the wifi disconnect issue but I frankly think the screen is bad on the other device. We'll see and I will report back here.

wmwinn

Aug 22, 2010
DanU - Before you upgrade, will you please compare your current firmware build with my device? Maybe our units have different firmware (I have build 140).

DanU

Mar 4, 2011
DanU - Before you upgrade, will you please compare your current firmware build with my device? Maybe our units have different firmware (I have build 140).

You bet - will let you know. Also should be receiving firmware from MM tonight, so I should be able to upgrade one unit and report that version as well (assuming the flash process goes well). Stay tuned.

Dearmantech

Aug 29, 2011
Got my T7 in the mail yesterday! Plugged it in and let it charge all night. I absolutely love it.

The only problem I can find is the wifi dissconnects. Everything else is great. Calibrated very good.

Very snappy unit.

My info is exactly the same as both of yours:

Android Version: 2.2 build 140
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9 build 1542
Build Number: beiger_magibox-eng 2.2 FRF91 build 140 test-keys

If you can upload and post a link to the firmware you have that would be great!

Thanks,

Jay

wmwinn

Aug 22, 2010
I am enjoying this tablet more and more. Haven't really noticed the WiFi disconnect yet. My only complaint is with Market.... but easy to sideload the apps I like. The speed and nice touchscreen blows away my previous tablet (HaiPad M701).

Battery life isn't too shabby. I've seen > 4 hours, evaluating sleep mode lately (seeing if WiFi will turn off). This was definitely worth the "Super Saturday" price of $160 (includes shipping and 4G SD card).

I haven't fully checked out Flash websites. The standard Adobe webpage does show that it's installed, and can view the flash graphics spinning on that site, even tells me which version of Flash is installed.

Dearmantech - are you finding it difficult to touch corners of the screen? Seems like I have to touch a little more towards center to activate the edges of the touchscreen. Calibration crosses are at very extreme corners - can't seem to touch those - have to touch more toward center to screen to get it to calibrate.

Oh, nearly forgot: What the heck do we call this thing? Beiger_MagiBox?

Last edited:

DanU

Mar 4, 2011
Okay guys - I received two new firmwares.

The first is useless - it is called Oracom0820.pkg. The short answer here is that it will load fine, but won't boot after loading. It turns the device off right after the loading kernal message. So avoid this ROM - waste of time.

The second firmware works better - it's called test0820. It loads and boots, but does not seem to solve any of the problems I have. I tried it on both units and the one with the unresponsive screen remains unresponsive to touch commands, and also makes its own spurious commands. On the other unit, wifi still disconnects when I am downloading any sort of sizable data, and once it disconnects it seems to declare my wifi network out of range and will not rescan for it unless I deactivate/reactiviate wifi. I haved tried adjusting the channels, setting WIFI sleep settings, etc but I can't make it stay connected or reconnect after the connectiuon is broken. I'll see what Merimobiles says, but I am not encouraged.

WMWINN, it is funny that you are having issues with Market - I had full access right out of the box. Maybe an account issue? Unfortunately after reflashing my units, Market is now missing completely. Flash player was also gone, and when I try to download it from Adobe, it tells me it is not compatible with my device.

One little nugget I will share with you, is that when you put the device into update mode, your PC probably won't be able to find a driver for the tablet. It sees it when it boots normally, but needs a different driver in update mode. You need some adb drivers. Look here Download PdaNet for a really easy solution to load drivers.

Once I had working drivers the reload process was really easy - turn tablet off, long press Menu then power, and the prompt will come up waiting for update. Then use the update utility they send you to point to the firmware you wish to load. Really a pretty elegant process compared to the button pushing procedures that some manufacturers force you to perform (like my WITSTECH).

Interestingly the system information post update looks identical to what we all had before. Maybe this firmware isn't so new? I'll have to verify that, but the device clearly erased old ROM and installed both new ones.

I hope you guys have better luck than I seem to with your units. WMWINN I am interested in what you do if you are able to recover full Market access.

PS - MM set up a drop box account for me to get the new firmware (which I am not convinced is really new). As a result I can't really post a link, but I am sure they will put a cpoy out there for you if you ask them. Just remember that Oracom0820 is no good.

Last edited:

wmwinn

Aug 22, 2010
Too bad the update was the same ROM version. I guess it makes sense why it didn't fix your problems.

Regarding Market, wanted to share what I do with Apps. I currently have another tablet and an Android phone all using same Google account on the Market. Whenever I flash a new ROM, or purchase a new tablet (like the T7) - it is so easy to get on the computer and login at http://market.android.com. All the apps you've ever installed are there, and you can send them to your devices from the PC. That makes for easy installation in bulk without having to search and download from the device.

On the Market website, this new tablet is not recognized as having a MAKE or MODEL. That is probably why there are very few "compatible" apps available. My other tablet shows MAKE = Haipad and MODEL = M701.

My tablet does seem to "forget" to re-connect to WiFi after waking up or after going out of range, then back into range of WiFi. I can get it back quickly by going to the WiFi setting screen, but shouldn't have to. It's not a dealbreaker for me, certainly not worth flashing a new ROM.

DanU

Mar 4, 2011
I have had problems at market.android.com. When I sign on and try and download a program it will tell me there is no phone associated with my account, and prevents my download. Have tried several ways to associate or register my device(s) but it doesn't let me download. I found some info on a Google forum where there are several android users having similar problems, and Google doesn't seem to be paying much attention. I have to feel like Market should be included in a manufacturer ROM update (and it should work out of the box)

DanU

Mar 4, 2011
No response from MM two days after I told them the firmware didn't resolve my problems. If no response tonight I guess I will pack the tablets up and send them back.

Dearmantech

Aug 29, 2011
Hey everyone... sorry for late replies, have been busy at work.
I also recieved a link to download the update... i apparently did the flash wrong and after the reboot i had a completely blanked android install... very basic w/ o any google processes at all!
After connecting to the internet and dling and installing es explorer i was back in business.
I dont miss google market because, like both of you there were about ten apps available... so i have been sideloading everything which is ok with me...
My wifi problem was fixed with the wipe and reinstall. Stays connected pretty much all day now.
Screen has two corners, bottom left and right, that are hard to calibrate... but it seems fine even after calibration.
I have to admit, this thing is freakin awesome. I still cant beleive i got this tab for $160.
I have read that we can edit the build.prop to get market access to all apps... add the make as an htc... or samsung.
I havent tried it yet however i am rooted and it was easy... z4root is awsome... so i will be backing up with titanium and trying a few mods.Flash works without flaw and even updated...
1080p is awesome and hdmi works.Will keep everyone posted... i am ordering 1 more T7 Friday
Have a good day!
Jay

Last edited:

DanU

Mar 4, 2011
Did you use the same ROM I indicated above (test0820)? Did the system information change?