anything better than archos 70 for price?

dragonfire

Oct 18, 2010
I've been doing alot of research on the various tablets and am getting ready to order a archos70, for $275 can anyone recommend a better unit (available within next couple weeks) for the price? Mainly looking for: capacitive multi-touch screen, wifi, accelerometer, g-sensor, 7" (for portablility),and good build quality. I would prefer to also have gps, but I'm assuming this can be accomplished using either a usb or bluetooth external gps? Also where would be the best place to order? (I'm in Montreal, will Best-buy have them at launch date?)

thanks

AndroidIsTheTruth

Aug 15, 2010
There's another thread that has the Archos 43 on preorder on Amazon, so one would believe that it would be coming soon on there as well. I don't think per se that there's anything better at the price. The only other thing I IMO would recommend is the Elocity A7 but it's a $100 more, but with the Tegra 2 processor. That's what really steering me towards it.

dragonfire

Oct 18, 2010
I agree the elocity A7 looks awesome, but I didn't want to go above $300 and only concern is it being a newcomer, what will the support or build quality be like? I have the archos 7 home tablet, and must admit the build quality, as well as the sound is quite impressive.So far for under $300 the archos70 still looks like the better unit, my only concern is it only having 256mb ram, would have hoped for at least 512 :(

I guess it also boils down to who releases there product first?

JRowe

Oct 19, 2010
I would make your choice based on the features, then stick to your guns until your choice is available. There's no reason to settle for missing or inferior features if you just have to wait 2 weeks. Also, black friday is coming up. You could not only get the best available unit, you could get 20% off the regular price, with free shipping. In this case, black friday is Nov 26. Newegg and Tiger always have great deals around that time. It also gives you a bit of time to arrange your budget - if you figure out how to set aside $500 in the next month, you'll have done yourself a huge favor.

Also, any problems with the newer units will have come to light by then, hopefully. I'm still researching, and while a lot of these devices kick the iPad's arse six ways from Sunday, the champion isn't completely apparent yet.

That being said, the Archos 70 looks awesome. There appear to be problems (see the reviewers issues with Fring,) which is completely unsurprising, but the rest of the device seems to be firing on all pistons.

Good luck with your tablet search :)

dragonfire

Oct 18, 2010
Thanks JRowe, that is a good suggestion (hopefully will-power will hold-out lol). Concerning Black Friday, would this also apply if I'm in Canada (Montreal) or do they normally only allow US Residents access to the sales???

JRowe

Oct 19, 2010
I'm pretty sure that most of the sales will apply to non-US people as well, although there's certainly a chance I'm wrong.

Darkseider

Oct 19, 2010
Personally I would go with the elocity A7 for the sole reason that it is a Tegra 2 250 which is a dual core and based on the Cortex A9. Whereas the Archos70 while being a nice device is still using a 1 Ghz Cortex A8 processor.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Aftering seeing so many Android tablets, I wouldn't buy one until I see it in action

klown07

Aug 27, 2010
You can find a really really good video of the archos 70 in action at archosfans.com In depth and very hands on review from charbax

revrobrocks

Oct 21, 2010
i've got an archos 70it on preorder and it will be my first android tablet...if it ever...does...really...ship. :)

r161954

Oct 22, 2010
I agree the elocity A7 looks awesome, but I didn't want to go above $300 and only concern is it being a newcomer, what will the support or build quality be like? I have the archos 7 home tablet, and must admit the build quality, as well as the sound is quite impressive.So far for under $300 the archos70 still looks like the better unit, my only concern is it only having 256mb ram, would have hoped for at least 512 :(

I guess it also boils down to who releases there product first?
I order the elocity from amazon and i asked them if i could get it by Nov24 2010 and they told me probably not. So they said get the archos 70 which that told me that the release date for the new archos line is comeing in Nov

r161954

Oct 22, 2010
I order the elocity from amazon and i asked them if i could get it by Nov24 2010 and they told me probably not. So they said get the archos 70 which that told me that the release date for the new archos line is comeing in Nov
I forgot to mention the elocity won't be ready t'll December 2010