Apps removal

Gerryatric

Aug 2, 2012
I seem to have installed an App named "Explorer" but it does not appear in the list of Apps when I go into settings and does not show up in the Play Store! The Icon is a white box with green folders popping up from it. How can I remove it?
Please don't ask how I downloaded it as it is not in Play Store! I cannot find who the S/W owner is and a web search for "Explorer Android" brings up nothing.
Very strange
:(

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Have you brought it up? There should be some sort of menu that may have some information in it. If you go to the app drawer (6 squares upper right corner of the screen) it should appear there somewhere.

Gerryatric

Aug 2, 2012
Have you brought it up? There should be some sort of menu that may have some information in it. If you go to the app drawer (6 squares upper right corner of the screen) it should appear there somewhere.

Thank you but I can open the App and on the home screen touch the three squares in the top right hand corner but all that shows is an option to Hide The Tool Bar.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Thank you but I can open the App and on the home screen touch the three squares in the top right hand corner but all that shows is an option to Hide The Tool Bar.

You didn't say if you found it in the app drawer. There also may be a menu at the bottom that would tell you more.

Gerryatric

Aug 2, 2012
The result is the same if I open it from the App Drawer. There is only the three boxes top right which just has "Hide the Tool Bar" option.
The tool bar does not have anything other than functional icons.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
The result is the same if I open it from the App Drawer. There is only the three boxes top right which just has "Hide the Tool Bar" option.
The tool bar does not have anything other than functional icons.

If I remember correctly you wanted to know how to uninstall it, as well as figuring out what it was. I provided instructions for uninstalling so if you can't figure out what at least you now know how to get rid of it.

Gerryatric

Aug 2, 2012
I am now confused. When I open the App it works fine but I don't want it. Your last post says you provided instructions for uninstalling but I do not see that in your previous posts! Have I missed something?
Merry Xmas to you, and thanks.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I am now confused. When I open the App it works fine but I don't want it. Your last post says you provided instructions for uninstalling but I do not see that in your previous posts! Have I missed something?
Merry Xmas to you, and thanks.

No, you didn't miss anything, I did. I was thinking about another post. When you find it in the app drawer, long press the icon and drag it to the top of the screen where it will say either remove or uninstall. If not in the app drawer when you do that it would only remove the icon.

Gerryatric

Aug 2, 2012
No, you didn't miss anything, I did. I was thinking about another post. When you find it in the app drawer, long press the icon and drag it to the top of the screen where it will say either remove or uninstall. If not in the app drawer when you do that it would only remove the icon.

Thank you, that sounds like a sensible idea but when I try it it does not remove it from the Apps drawer. This App is a persistent little blighter!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Thank you, that sounds like a sensible idea but when I try it it does not remove it from the Apps drawer. This App is a persistent little blighter!

There are so many brands of Android tablets it's impossible to keep them all straight. The fact that it won't remove means the manufacturer of your tablet included it as a stock app. Best bet is to ignore it.

Gerryatric

Aug 2, 2012
Yes, that must be the answer. I checked on an identical tablet and it also has this App loaded and it also does not appear in the list of Apps. I will ditch the shortcut and ignore the App. I did not know that stock Apps cannot be removed but I previously discovered that I could not remove the "Browser" which was a stock App. I should have put two and two together!
I am a tablet newbie and at 84 years a slow learner but I will get there!
I do appreciate your help, thank you.