ARCHOS 101 and FLATPAD A10T

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
Ok, now I'm not a HUGE fan of FC, but in doing a side by side comparison of the 2 tablets I see 2things that "appear" to be in favor of the A10T.

I'm hoping someone here can tell me whether my understanding is correct or not.

Looking at the manufacturers sight the Flatpad CPU STATES - DUAL CORE

The ARCHOS 101 doesnt

so my question is, is this a TRUE dual core like what we see in a desktop or is this like the rockwell 2808 where 1 cpu is for processing and 1 for graphics?

Secnodly is ram one comes right out of the gate at 1GB the other at 512MB, can these be upgraded>?

I wouldnt expect something like the ZT180 to upgradeable, but this IS on a higher scale....

I HATE the idea of even considering $400 for a tablet, but if there is a 50% speed difference, I can see the difference.

anyone with some definate ideas Id appreciate some feedback

j

cpg716

Jul 23, 2010
Well, if you didnt know, its just a rebranded tablet.. Here is a hands on that Engadget had with it.. : Malata's SMB-A1011 Tegra 2 tablet spotted at GTC 2010, we go hands-on -- Engadget

The Archos 101 has 256MB of RAM btw.. neither would be upgradeable in these type of devices. I think the Archos 101 is a much better value at $299.. Will have better support and firmware updates.... etc... and will probably run better then the A10T, even though the A10T has better specs.

CPG

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
CPG

actually no I didnt realize that the archos was a rebrand, i figured that the A10T was.

where did you see the 256mb ram on the archos? I looked at their site and couldnt find the ram, just the storage listing, but the A10T blatently says 1GB.

But is the CPU the same in the 2?

if not do you know if the "dual core" claim in the A10T is comparable to a desktop dual core or more like the CPU/GPU we have seen in other ARMS?

Thanks

j

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
also, one other question, CPG stated that one of the tablets was a rebranded Malta. Anyone know which one? Or are they both the same, just one with more ram?

J
(I still cant find anything that says how much RAM the Archos101 has)

scholzj

Aug 24, 2010
The FlatPad A10T is the one which is re-branded Malata tablet. It uses Nvidia Tegra 2 processor, which should contain dual core CPU + GPU. The raw performance would be definitely better - but as already stated by CPG - often a good firmware is much more important then CPU performance.

Archos is also made in Asia (as everything these days), but I guess it will be sold only under the Archos brand. I would also expect that the build quality will be a + for the Archos (expectation only - I didn't hold neither of these in my hand - can someone who has been on IFA in Berlin compare the build quality?). Another significant factor which you should consider are the physical dimensions and weight ... Archos is lighter (approx. 200g - not a huge difference, but may be important).

I'm not sure whether the RAM would be just sealed directly to the board or whether it is already integrated into the chipset. But I would not count with as easy RAM upgrade as you may now from PCs or laptops.

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
scholz

thanks for the details that does help a lot, as well as when you read the hands on reviews of the malta they all me tion that its somewhat flimsy in its feel.

seriously looking at a traditional A10 for my bro and the archos for me.

anyone else who wants to feed in its appreciated.

so when the flatpad says its a dual core, its not a dual core in the sense of the desktop dual core.

thats a big deal.

thanks

j

cpg716

Jul 23, 2010
CPG

actually no I didnt realize that the archos was a rebrand, i figured that the A10T was.

where did you see the 256mb ram on the archos? I looked at their site and couldnt find the ram, just the storage listing, but the A10T blatently says 1GB.

j

Sorry. I was talking about the A10T being the rebadged device.

Its been confirmed by Archos that the Gen8 tablets will have 256MB of RAM. The Tegra 2 devices all have 512MB of RAM or more. This doesnt mean however you will noticed much real world difference in performance.

CPG

scholzj

Aug 24, 2010
so when the flatpad says its a dual core, its not a dual core in the sense of the desktop dual core.

No, I expressed my self in a slightly confusing way. It is comparable to the PC dual core processors... the nVidia Tegra 2 platform should be something like CPU + CPU + GPU + probably some DSP chips etc. But as I said, that doesn't necessarily mean that you will see some huge performance differences ...

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
WOW

you guys could have helped a lot earlier if only folks had asked the right questions

thanks!

j

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
very nice I just ordered my A10 and it should be here wednesday, I'll let you know.

Hopefuilly I'll have as much fun as I did w/ my wifes Augen! (which works flawlessley)

philz03

Oct 6, 2010
Hi guys,

I was seriously thinking about buying the Archos 101, but I wasn't aware of the A10T. I think the Tegra chipset (1080p output HDMI,..) and CPU is really a big plus. My only concern is: poor support & firmware? sloppy build quality? They really have some work to do about their branding (compared to Archos).

Interested in some further feedback...

@Star Trek Nerd,

Nice comparison, only the A10T has (mini) HDMI output.

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
sorry if this is a cross post but :

I was actually in negotiations with one of the manufacturers of the Tegra2 Tablets and was ready to order some samples.

BUT as soo as I started pushing for 2 specific pieces of information: ram and number available to ship, communications STOPPED

I wouldnt be surprised if we hear ANOTHER delay on those tablets