Archos 70 buttons question

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
I locked at the renders from the archos website. The tablet is very nice and everything, but one thing caught my attention and don't know if it is just a image error or if it is an actual design flaw.
In the images the tablet has 4 buttons (I think capacitive buttons) to the right: search, home menu and back.
The thing is that on the image where it sais screen size the arrow points over those buttons as well. Are those buttons on screen or is that an error in the image. I don't actually mind the screen being a litle smaller than actual 7", what I am afraid is that if the buttons are actual on the screen, some apps may overlay them. Can anyone with the tablet already bought answer? Thanks.

scholzj

Aug 24, 2010
I don't have the Archos tablet. But according to all the videos I've seen, the button are just software buttons. I saw some overlay problems when combined with Swype keyboard - it is visible on a picture in this german review: Archos 70 Internet Tablet (section Keyboards). I would also be interested whether the problem is present also with some applications ...

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
I see...thanks:) I don't mind the standard android keyboard...but it would be a shame if an app would overlay the buttons and there was no way to hit the back button. So far this is the only downside (and maybe RAM) I see at the 70. They have room for physical buttons...don't know exactly why they chose this path.

DroidxRage

Nov 3, 2010
typing on mine now, the buttons are on the capacitive screen. It is a little different but not bad or detracting. A far as overlay on apps, I have only seen it with the replacement keyboards like swype, but it only happens in landscape mode. Portrait is fine. I haven't had overlay on any apps, including facebook, baseball superstars, gmail, google market, etc.

There is an option to hide the buttons but I haven't felt the need to try it.

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
Thanks DroidxRage for your answer. If you decide to hide the buttons, how can you navigate back or press the menu button? As far as I know there aren't any physical buttons for this. Thanks.

Nov 2, 2010
There is an option to hide the buttons but I haven't felt the need to try it.

There is? How would you go back home? i know that if you pressed the power button and held it, it gives you the option of an arrow pad extension to the four capacitive buttons.

I find these buttons a bit in the way, and i'd like to get a tablet with physical buttons.

DroidxRage

Nov 3, 2010
I lied... I tried that option after posting this, and it doesn't hide the buttons. It actually gives you MORE buttons, like a D-Pad navigation box, and some other scrolling buttons.

Those are definitely intrusive on the screen though, so I'll keep to not having them on. Although I guess it could be useful if you were having a hard time clicking on a certain spot, bring up the d-pad really fast to get accurate.